Re: [softrock40] Creative XFi question and HDSDR status

  • John Williams
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2013
      I have the one with the knob also, but under windows the knob is not functional. I guess I will install the drivers and give it a try.

      Thanks Zack,

      John ke5ssh
      On 1/31/2013 8:59 AM, Zack Widup wrote:

      Which model X-Fi are you using? The one I have has a knob on it, which
      controls the volume. But I did install the drivers for it, too.

      73, Zack W9SZ

      --

      John Williams

      KE5SSH - ham since 2007
      WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

    • Zack Widup
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2013
        Hi John, yes, I'm willing to bet the knob works when you install the drivers that come with the X-Fi.

        73, Zack W9SZ

        On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 9:30 AM, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:

        I have the one with the knob also, but under windows the knob is not functional. I guess I will install the drivers and give it a try.

        Thanks Zack,

        John ke5ssh

        On 1/31/2013 8:59 AM, Zack Widup wrote:

        Which model X-Fi are you using? The one I have has a knob on it, which
        controls the volume. But I did install the drivers for it, too.

        73, Zack W9SZ

        On 1/31/13, John Williams KE5SSH@...> wrote:
        > I am using the USB attached XFi sound card. I am running without the
        > Creative drivers, just using what exists in windows. It works well but
        > does not allow me to change the output volume. If I install the Creative
        > drivers, will I get this capability?
        >
        > Also, FYI. I was not able to get PowerSDR 2.2.4 to feed FLDigi and get
        > clean decodes on my older dual core Athalon with 2Gb memory. 1.19.3.15
        > ran well but 2.2.4 seems to use a lot more CPU. I changed to HDSDR using
        > FLDigi and now have flawless decodes. All of the new EXTIO_SI570 dll
        > changes work in 2.6 to use CAT rig control. Sweet! I worked Puerto Rico
        > from Illinois on 20M with 0.5W PSK31 last night. Would now like to boost
        > the power to around 1W.
        >
        > --
        >
        > John Williams
        >
        > KE5SSH - ham since 2007
        > WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

        --

        John Williams

        KE5SSH - ham since 2007
        WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

      • yl2gqn
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
          Hello Zack,

          I'm strongly suggest to install original drivers but DO NOT INSTALL any other Creative software for sound card.

          After install drivers be sure to disable enhancements mode into sound card settings.

          Regards,
          Andy. YL2QN

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
            Hi Andy,

            I forget what I installed. I think it was just the drivers. What other
            things do they have to install? And what is the disadvantage of the
            enhancement mode?

            73, Zack W9SZ

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
              Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Creative XFi question and HDSDR status

              ,

              > I forget what I installed. I think it was just the drivers. What other
              > things do they have to install? And what is the disadvantage of the
              > enhancement mode?

              Zack,

              I do not think there is a driver only option. It includes the mixer with all sorts of "enhancements" like EAX and 3D which if
              enabled will certainly not enhance SDR.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • Zack Widup
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
                OK, thanks. I don't believe I installed any of that and I certainly don't use it. The X-Fi I am using works great with the Softrock and HDSDR.

                73, Zack W9SZ