I need two soundcards?!

  • N0UR
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2013
      Little did I know that i would need two soundcards to use my RXTX Ensemble with HDSDR or Rocky......I wish I was aware of this beforehand. So will a cheap USB soundcard do the job? I am not going to pay $150 for a soundcard that will enable me to use this rig. The computer I am using does not have slots to install another card. Suggestions, advise?
    • Roger Critchlow
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2013
        A Griffin iMic is a good choice.  It's compact, easy to pack, does the job, doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

        I just bought a used one on Amazon for $24 shipped.  Looks like full price retail shipped would run $40.

        -- rec --

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 29, 2013
          Subject: [softrock40] I need two soundcards?!

          > Little did I know that i would need two soundcards to use my RXTX Ensemble with HDSDR or Rocky......I wish I was aware of this
          > beforehand. So will a cheap USB soundcard do the job? I am not going to pay $150 for a soundcard that will enable me to use this
          > rig. The computer I am using does not have slots to install another card.

          If your present system is adequate for the IQ then the cheapest dongle will do for mic and speaker out.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • Paul Mackanos - K2DB
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 29, 2013

            Try doing a google on a Rocketfish 5.1 soundcard 96K 24 Bit, usually you can get them for less than $10.00 each and that includes shipping.

            Works great here !!

            Paul K2DB

          • Merton Nellis
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 29, 2013
              Hi Jim,
              Welcome to the world of SDR.  I very easily got to  receiving but have never bit the bullet to get another sound card so I could transmit.  The computer complications were always a problem for this old man.

              Glad to hear  you are still active.  72, Mert