WSPR, Softrock RXTX, snd Raspberry Pi

  • William
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 27, 2013
      I've searched google and found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Raspbery Pi(http://g4fre.blogspot.com/2012/11/wsjt-on-raspberry-pi.html)

      and I found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Softrock RXTX...ergo can it be done? Can you make a low power beacon station with a Raspberry Pi and a Softrock?

      Obviously have soundcard issues but can you use an external usb soundcard to achieve results?

      73
      Will
      KB5USW
    • vbifyz
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 29, 2013
        Your post finally made me to try it.
        I've compiled WSPR from source following Dave's instructions. He now has updated instructions in his blog.
        It is now working with Ensemble II RX on 40m, you can query the database with my call sign, VE3YXA.
        I haven't tried controlling the frequency yet. At the moment it is controlled by CFGSR running on another computer. I need to connect a USB hub to try.
        My Pi is overclocked to 1GHz. CPU usage is about 20% when receiving, the decoding takes about 20sec. The soundcard is SD-AUD20101.
        I have an RXTX as well, trying the TX will be my next project.

        73, Mike

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:

        > I've searched google and found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Raspbery Pi(http://g4fre.blogspot.com/2012/11/wsjt-on-raspberry-pi.html)
        >
        > and I found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Softrock RXTX...ergo can it be done? Can you make a low power beacon station with a Raspberry Pi and a Softrock?
        >
        > Obviously have soundcard issues but can you use an external usb soundcard to achieve results?
        >
        > 73
        > Will
        > KB5USW

      • William
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2013
          Mike,
          Glad to hear you got it to work! I've been trying for the past several hours to get WSPR to compile and no luck. Headed to bed but will do a fresh install of wheezy and try again this weekend. I saw the JAN 28 update to G4FRE's blog but still had errors. I also noticed that it caused my wifi usb dongle to stop working properly...did you run into any of these issues?

          73,
          Will

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

          > Your post finally made me to try it.
          > I've compiled WSPR from source following Dave's instructions. He now has updated instructions in his blog.
          > It is now working with Ensemble II RX on 40m, you can query the database with my call sign, VE3YXA.
          > I haven't tried controlling the frequency yet. At the moment it is controlled by CFGSR running on another computer. I need to connect a USB hub to try.
          > My Pi is overclocked to 1GHz. CPU usage is about 20% when receiving, the decoding takes about 20sec. The soundcard is SD-AUD20101.
          > I have an RXTX as well, trying the TX will be my next project.
          >
          > 73, Mike
          >
          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:
          > >
          > > I've searched google and found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Raspbery Pi(http://g4fre.blogspot.com/2012/11/wsjt-on-raspberry-pi.html)
          > >
          > > and I found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Softrock RXTX...ergo can it be done? Can you make a low power beacon station with a Raspberry Pi and a Softrock?
          > >
          > > Obviously have soundcard issues but can you use an external usb soundcard to achieve results?
          > >
          > > 73
          > > Will
          > > KB5USW

        • vbifyz
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2013
            No, my install went pretty well. I had a bunch of other packages installed before, so maybe Dave is missing something in his instructions.
            I am using wired Ethernet. My peripherals are Syba sound dongle : http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1191
            and some ancient wireless keyboard/mouse combo. RPi is 512MB version overclocked to 1GHz with 16GB Sandisk Ultra micro SD card.

            73, Mike

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:

            > Mike,
            > Glad to hear you got it to work! I've been trying for the past several hours to get WSPR to compile and no luck. Headed to bed but will do a fresh install of wheezy and try again this weekend. I saw the JAN 28 update to G4FRE's blog but still had errors. I also noticed that it caused my wifi usb dongle to stop working properly...did you run into any of these issues?
            >
            > 73,
            > Will
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Your post finally made me to try it.
            > > I've compiled WSPR from source following Dave's instructions. He now has updated instructions in his blog.
            > > It is now working with Ensemble II RX on 40m, you can query the database with my call sign, VE3YXA.
            > > I haven't tried controlling the frequency yet. At the moment it is controlled by CFGSR running on another computer. I need to connect a USB hub to try.
            > > My Pi is overclocked to 1GHz. CPU usage is about 20% when receiving, the decoding takes about 20sec. The soundcard is SD-AUD20101.
            > > I have an RXTX as well, trying the TX will be my next project.
            > >
            > > 73, Mike
            > >
            > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I've searched google and found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Raspbery Pi(http://g4fre.blogspot.com/2012/11/wsjt-on-raspberry-pi.html)
            > > >
            > > > and I found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Softrock RXTX...ergo can it be done? Can you make a low power beacon station with a Raspberry Pi and a Softrock?
            > > >
            > > > Obviously have soundcard issues but can you use an external usb soundcard to achieve results?
            > > >
            > > > 73
            > > > Will
            > > > KB5USW

          • William
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
              Finally got the install to run but haven't decoded any signals yet...I only overclocked to 900 MHZ and it seems to struggle with the decode, I get the follow message occasionally:

              <code> Attempted to start decode thread when already running</code>
              With my KX3 it appears that the RPi puts off alot of QRM, about 1-2 S units...I'm running it bare so that may add it to the RF.
              I ordered a Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, C-Media Chipset, RoHS, hopefully it will work better than the Signalink USB.
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

              > No, my install went pretty well. I had a bunch of other packages installed before, so maybe Dave is missing something in his instructions.
              > I am using wired Ethernet. My peripherals are Syba sound dongle : http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1191
              > and some ancient wireless keyboard/mouse combo. RPi is 512MB version overclocked to 1GHz with 16GB Sandisk Ultra micro SD card.
              > > 73, Mike
              > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:
              > >
              > > Mike,
              > > Glad to hear you got it to work! I've been trying for the past several hours to get WSPR to compile and no luck. Headed to bed but will do a fresh install of wheezy and try again this weekend. I saw the JAN 28 update to G4FRE's blog but still had errors. I also noticed that it caused my wifi usb dongle to stop working properly...did you run into any of these issues?
              > > Will
              > > >
              > > > Your post finally made me to try it.
              > > > I've compiled WSPR from source following Dave's instructions. He now has updated instructions in his blog.
              > > > It is now working with Ensemble II RX on 40m, you can query the database with my call sign, VE3YXA.
              > > > I haven't tried controlling the frequency yet. At the moment it is controlled by CFGSR running on another computer. I need to connect a USB hub to try.
              > > > My Pi is overclocked to 1GHz. CPU usage is about 20% when receiving, the decoding takes about 20sec. The soundcard is SD-AUD20101.
              > > > I have an RXTX as well, trying the TX will be my next project.

            • MIKE DURKIN
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
                if it has the 1602 sound IC ... i would think so .... but also shielding the RaspberyPI would be a good thing.

                Mike KC7NOA

                To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                From: wrh3mmi@...
                Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 21:34:28 +0000
                Subject: [softrock40] Re: WSPR, Softrock RXTX, snd Raspberry Pi

                Finally got the install to run but haven't decoded any signals yet...I only overclocked to 900 MHZ and it seems to struggle with the decode, I get the follow message occasionally:

                Attempted to start decode thread when already running
                With my KX3 it appears that the RPi puts off alot of QRM, about 1-2 S units...I'm running it bare so that may add it to the RF.
                I ordered a Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, C-Media Chipset, RoHS, hopefully it will work better than the Signalink USB.
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

                > No, my install went pretty well. I had a bunch of other packages installed before, so maybe Dave is missing something in his instructions.
                > I am using wired Ethernet. My peripherals are Syba sound dongle : http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1191
                > and some ancient wireless keyboard/mouse combo. RPi is 512MB version overclocked to 1GHz with 16GB Sandisk Ultra micro SD card.
                > > 73, Mike
                > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:
                > >
                > > Mike,
                > > Glad to hear you got it to work! I've been trying for the past several hours to get WSPR to compile and no luck. Headed to bed but will do a fresh install of wheezy and try again this weekend. I saw the JAN 28 update to G4FRE's blog but still had errors. I also noticed that it caused my wifi usb dongle to stop working properly...did you run into any of these issues?
                > > Will
                > > >
                > > > Your post finally made me to try it.
                > > > I've compiled WSPR from source following Dave's instructions. He now has updated instructions in his blog.
                > > > It is now working with Ensemble II RX on 40m, you can query the database with my call sign, VE3YXA.
                > > > I haven't tried controlling the frequency yet. At the moment it is controlled by CFGSR running on another computer. I need to connect a USB hub to try.
                > > > My Pi is overclocked to 1GHz. CPU usage is about 20% when receiving, the decoding takes about 20sec. The soundcard is SD-AUD20101.
                > > > I have an RXTX as well, trying the TX will be my next project.

              • David Turnbull
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
                  On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM, William <wrh3mmi@...> wrote:
                  > Finally got the install to run but haven't decoded any signals yet...I only overclocked to 900 MHZ and it seems to struggle with the decode...

                  I've had a Raspberry Pi for many months and finally fired it up for
                  the first time yesterday. Ran some benchmarks on the PSK31 decoder
                  that I wrote. With a 15 second test file:

                  Core2Duo using only one 3GHz core: 0.14 seconds
                  Raspberry Pi 700MHz -mfloat-abi=hard: 4.5 seconds

                  73 David AE9RB
                  http://AE9RB.com/
                • va3dxz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 4, 2013
                    Just wondering if anyone been able to use WSPR, running on a Raspberry PI, to control the Softrock Ensemble TX/RX?

                    I was able to get WSPR compiled and running on the PI using the G4FRE's Jan 28th instructions found at http://g4fre.blogspot.ca/2013/01/wspr-on-rpilapdock-under-raspian.html

                    However, the WSPR CAT function is not able to communicate with the Softrock via the USB. It would seem that I need a version of the PEOFKO USB-Driver compatible with the PI to control the ensemble rx/tx Si570. I have no idea how to compile this driver for the PI but I can follow instructions.

                    If anyone has this working, please let me know.

                    My set up is as follows:
                    2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian loaded on 32G SD card
                    Pi overclocked at 1Ghz
                    SignaLink USB attached to PI for Audio In

                    Also, I have WSPR running under XP using WSPR's I/Q functionality with full CAT control of the softrock and this works very well.

                    73,
                    Chris VA3DXZ

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

                    > Your post finally made me to try it.
                    > I've compiled WSPR from source following Dave's instructions. He now has updated instructions in his blog.
                    > It is now working with Ensemble II RX on 40m, you can query the database with my call sign, VE3YXA.
                    > I haven't tried controlling the frequency yet. At the moment it is controlled by CFGSR running on another computer. I need to connect a USB hub to try.
                    > My Pi is overclocked to 1GHz. CPU usage is about 20% when receiving, the decoding takes about 20sec. The soundcard is SD-AUD20101.
                    > I have an RXTX as well, trying the TX will be my next project.
                    >
                    > 73, Mike
                    >
                    > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I've searched google and found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Raspbery Pi(http://g4fre.blogspot.com/2012/11/wsjt-on-raspberry-pi.html)
                    > >
                    > > and I found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Softrock RXTX...ergo can it be done? Can you make a low power beacon station with a Raspberry Pi and a Softrock?
                    > >
                    > > Obviously have soundcard issues but can you use an external usb soundcard to achieve results?
                    > >
                    > > 73
                    > > Will
                    > > KB5USW

                  • MIKE DURKIN
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 4, 2013
                      there might be something that works ... its used in ghpsdr3-alex and quisk ...
                      try joining the sdr-widget group,
                      we've been banging up against the O-DroidX(2) .... its a quad Arm

                      so solutions there should work 4 you....

                      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                      From: chris.mcgaffey@...
                      Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 03:24:25 +0000

                      Just wondering if anyone been able to use WSPR, running on a Raspberry PI, to control the Softrock Ensemble TX/RX?

                      I was able to get WSPR compiled and running on the PI using the G4FRE's Jan 28th instructions found at http://g4fre.blogspot.ca/2013/01/wspr-on-rpilapdock-under-raspian.html

                      However, the WSPR CAT function is not able to communicate with the Softrock via the USB. It would seem that I need a version of the PEOFKO USB-Driver compatible with the PI to control the ensemble rx/tx Si570. I have no idea how to compile this driver for the PI but I can follow instructions.

                      If anyone has this working, please let me know.

                      My set up is as follows:
                      2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian loaded on 32G SD card
                      Pi overclocked at 1Ghz
                      SignaLink USB attached to PI for Audio In

                      Also, I have WSPR running under XP using WSPR's I/Q functionality with full CAT control of the softrock and this works very well.

                      73,
                      Chris VA3DXZ

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

                      > Your post finally made me to try it.
                      > I've compiled WSPR from source following Dave's instructions. He now has updated instructions in his blog.
                      > It is now working with Ensemble II RX on 40m, you can query the database with my call sign, VE3YXA.
                      > I haven't tried controlling the frequency yet. At the moment it is controlled by CFGSR running on another computer. I need to connect a USB hub to try.
                      > My Pi is overclocked to 1GHz. CPU usage is about 20% when receiving, the decoding takes about 20sec. The soundcard is SD-AUD20101.
                      > I have an RXTX as well, trying the TX will be my next project.
                      >
                      > 73, Mike
                      >
                      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I've searched google and found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Raspbery Pi(http://g4fre.blogspot.com/2012/11/wsjt-on-raspberry-pi.html)
                      > >
                      > > and I found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Softrock RXTX...ergo can it be done? Can you make a low power beacon station with a Raspberry Pi and a Softrock?
                      > >
                      > > Obviously have soundcard issues but can you use an external usb soundcard to achieve results?
                      > >
                      > > 73
                      > > Will
                      > > KB5USW

                    • vbifyz
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 5, 2013
                        When you install WSPR according to Dave's instructions, a copy of hamlib is installed in the process. WSPR uses the hamlib to control the Softrock. The only issue is that the USB permissions have to be changed. Quick googling will show you how to do that.
                        After fixing the permissions, WSPR controls the Softrock frequency just fine. I also used "rigctl -m 2509 F <frequency>" command in a terminal window to control Si570.

                        73, Mike

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "va3dxz" wrote:

                        > Just wondering if anyone been able to use WSPR, running on a Raspberry PI, to control the Softrock Ensemble TX/RX?
                        >
                        > I was able to get WSPR compiled and running on the PI using the G4FRE's Jan 28th instructions found at http://g4fre.blogspot.ca/2013/01/wspr-on-rpilapdock-under-raspian.html
                        >
                        > However, the WSPR CAT function is not able to communicate with the Softrock via the USB. It would seem that I need a version of the PEOFKO USB-Driver compatible with the PI to control the ensemble rx/tx Si570. I have no idea how to compile this driver for the PI but I can follow instructions.
                        >
                        > If anyone has this working, please let me know.
                        >
                        > My set up is as follows:
                        > 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian loaded on 32G SD card
                        > Pi overclocked at 1Ghz
                        > SignaLink USB attached to PI for Audio In
                        >
                        > Also, I have WSPR running under XP using WSPR's I/Q functionality with full CAT control of the softrock and this works very well.
                        >

                        > 73,
                        > Chris VA3DXZ
                        >
                        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Your post finally made me to try it.
                        > > I've compiled WSPR from source following Dave's instructions. He now has updated instructions in his blog.
                        > > It is now working with Ensemble II RX on 40m, you can query the database with my call sign, VE3YXA.
                        > > I haven't tried controlling the frequency yet. At the moment it is controlled by CFGSR running on another computer. I need to connect a USB hub to try.
                        > > My Pi is overclocked to 1GHz. CPU usage is about 20% when receiving, the decoding takes about 20sec. The soundcard is SD-AUD20101.
                        > > I have an RXTX as well, trying the TX will be my next project.
                        > >
                        > > 73, Mike
                        > >
                        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I've searched google and found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Raspbery Pi(http://g4fre.blogspot.com/2012/11/wsjt-on-raspberry-pi.html)
                        > > >
                        > > > and I found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Softrock RXTX...ergo can it be done? Can you make a low power beacon station with a Raspberry Pi and a Softrock?
                        > > >
                        > > > Obviously have soundcard issues but can you use an external usb soundcard to achieve results?
                        > > >
                        > > > 73
                        > > > Will
                        > > > KB5USW

                      • va3dxz
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 6, 2013
                          Thanks Mike. When I log into the pi, I start the gui with startx, then I open a terminal window, cd to wspr then ./wspr to start the application. The application starts up but can't talk to the softrock:

                          rig_open: error = IO error
                          Error attempting to set rig freq
                          rigctl -m 2509 -r USD F 10126729

                          So I looked at the permissions as you suggested. Each of the hamlib files were set to -rw-r--r--. I changed each to -rwxrwxrwx but same problem. After putting the permissions back to -rw-r--r--, I tried starting wspr using sudo ./wspr and it worked. I was able to tx and change frequency.

                          However, after the 1st receive cycle, when the decode kicked in, the CPU was pegged at 100% and stayed there. When the next TX cycle came around, I would see

                          error executing rigctl to set TX mode
                          rigctl -m 2509 -r USB T 1

                          In most cases I needed to reboot the PI to bring it back to life. I have the PI overclocked to 1Ghz and set this up using raspi-config. I double checked the clock speed using vcgencmd get_config arm_freq.

                          Is anyone else seeing performance issues like this?

                          Thanks and 73,

                          Chris / VA3DXZ

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

                          > When you install WSPR according to Dave's instructions, a copy of hamlib is installed in the process. WSPR uses the hamlib to control the Softrock. The only issue is that the USB permissions have to be changed. Quick googling will show you how to do that.
                          > After fixing the permissions, WSPR controls the Softrock frequency just fine. I also used "rigctl -m 2509 F " command in a terminal window to control Si570.
                          >
                          > 73, Mike
                          >
                          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "va3dxz" wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Just wondering if anyone been able to use WSPR, running on a Raspberry PI, to control the Softrock Ensemble TX/RX?
                          > >
                          > > I was able to get WSPR compiled and running on the PI using the G4FRE's Jan 28th instructions found at http://g4fre.blogspot.ca/2013/01/wspr-on-rpilapdock-under-raspian.html
                          > >
                          > > However, the WSPR CAT function is not able to communicate with the Softrock via the USB. It would seem that I need a version of the PEOFKO USB-Driver compatible with the PI to control the ensemble rx/tx Si570. I have no idea how to compile this driver for the PI but I can follow instructions.
                          > >
                          > > If anyone has this working, please let me know.
                          > >
                          > > My set up is as follows:
                          > > 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian loaded on 32G SD card
                          > > Pi overclocked at 1Ghz
                          > > SignaLink USB attached to PI for Audio In
                          > >
                          > > Also, I have WSPR running under XP using WSPR's I/Q functionality with full CAT control of the softrock and this works very well.
                          > >

                          > > 73,
                          > > Chris VA3DXZ
                          > >
                          > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Your post finally made me to try it.
                          > > > I've compiled WSPR from source following Dave's instructions. He now has updated instructions in his blog.
                          > > > It is now working with Ensemble II RX on 40m, you can query the database with my call sign, VE3YXA.
                          > > > I haven't tried controlling the frequency yet. At the moment it is controlled by CFGSR running on another computer. I need to connect a USB hub to try.
                          > > > My Pi is overclocked to 1GHz. CPU usage is about 20% when receiving, the decoding takes about 20sec. The soundcard is SD-AUD20101.
                          > > > I have an RXTX as well, trying the TX will be my next project.
                          > > >
                          > > > 73, Mike

                        • vbifyz
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 7, 2013
                            It is not file permissions, but the USB access permissions that you need to change.
                            Good step-by-step reading for beginners here:
                            http://www.n8mdp.com/sdr_quisk.html

                            I noticed that sometimes WSPR decoding phase takes a few seconds, and sometimes more than 2 minutes, so there is sometimes a message that the next decoding can not start (maybe 1 out of 20-50 cycles). But for me it always eventually finishes.