Re: [softrock40] Re: Ongoing RCVR Issues

  • John Greusel
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 27, 2013
      Actually I'm not right about PSDR because I didn't allow for the LO offset.
      It's better to use the "Tune" tab in CFGSR. It's very unlikely you altered anything permanently when you hit the 30 meter tab.
      This test will tell you if you have frequency agility and output from the SI570.

      John
      KC9OJV

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 27, 2013

        >Not sure I understand as I'm not sitting in from of CFGSR. It's singing at 114? 28? 7? Not sure I follow this. I know in an early
        >build,stage I checked the oscillator both at 28 MHz and 7 and it was fine.

        Rick,

        Yes, it WAS fine.
        Have you re-checked all Robby's tests from the beginning? Voltages, check oscillator?
        If all that agrees then there may be a bad joint or faulty component but you have to do the checks and tell us what you find.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

      • richard.lawn@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 28, 2013
          If my calculations are correct I should be able to hear the oscillator at the very top of the fm radio band if I tune softrock oscillator to 27 MHz. I started up pwrsdr then CFGSR. Tuning in pwrsdr tuned the CFGSR with the load freq box checked. I swept throu a wide range and never hear a thing in the fm rcvr.

          It appears I have to give up with my limited technical background. Would anyone be willing to check this board out and repair. I'd then try and complete the kit.

          Rick

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jasmine Strong wrote:

          > Are you getting LO noise at 4x the tuner frequency? You should be able to check this with an FM radio.
          >
          > It really sounds like you don't have the oscillator working properly.
          >
          > -J.
          >
          > On 27 Jan 2013, at 14:54, richard.lawn@... wrote:
          >
          > > I'm about at the end of my rope. I decided to take a break from trouble shooting and go about replacing the 3 caps and rewind the 2 toroids as per the most recent 40m modification. In doing this I found a lead from the transformer at the RF input that had broken. I was able to resolder it topside. I have checked and recheck all joints, touching up a few whether they needed it or not. I've gone through board several times this way and I get the same results....a noise floor in the PWRSDR noise floor and that's it. What is so maddening is that when I first checked it yesterday it worked beautifully for about 3 min right in the middle of the RTTY contest. I then inadvertently clicked on the 30m band button in PWRSDR and I haven't received anything since. I don't usually give up but unless someone has an idea I haven't tried I'm about ready to send it off to someone who knows better than I do.
          > >
          > > Rick
          > > W2JAZ

        • vbifyz
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 28, 2013
            The FM radio antenna should be right next to the Softrock board to do this check. The Si570 frequency is 4x of the "Softrock oscillator", if by that you mean the CFGSR displayed frequency.

            Is the soundcard input path working? Does the noise spectrum change when you power the Softrock up and down? Is the light on the lower left of the CFGSR window green? I would start with this kind of checks before resoldering the board.

            73, Mike

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "richard.lawn@..." wrote:

            > If my calculations are correct I should be able to hear the oscillator at the very top of the fm radio band if I tune softrock oscillator to 27 MHz. I started up pwrsdr then CFGSR. Tuning in pwrsdr tuned the CFGSR with the load freq box checked. I swept throu a wide range and never hear a thing in the fm rcvr.
            >
            > It appears I have to give up with my limited technical background. Would anyone be willing to check this board out and repair. I'd then try and complete the kit.
            >
            > Rick
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jasmine Strong wrote:
            > >

            > > Are you getting LO noise at 4x the tuner frequency? You should be able to check this with an FM radio.
            > >
            > > It really sounds like you don't have the oscillator working properly.
            > >
            > > -J.
            > >
            > > On 27 Jan 2013, at 14:54, richard.lawn@ wrote:
            > >
            > > > I'm about at the end of my rope. I decided to take a break from trouble shooting and go about replacing the 3 caps and rewind the 2 toroids as per the most recent 40m modification. In doing this I found a lead from the transformer at the RF input that had broken. I was able to resolder it topside. I have checked and recheck all joints, touching up a few whether they needed it or not. I've gone through board several times this way and I get the same results....a noise floor in the PWRSDR noise floor and that's it. What is so maddening is that when I first checked it yesterday it worked beautifully for about 3 min right in the middle of the RTTY contest. I then inadvertently clicked on the 30m band button in PWRSDR and I haven't received anything since. I don't usually give up but unless someone has an idea I haven't tried I'm about ready to send it off to someone who knows better than I do.
            > > >
            > > > Rick
            > > > W2JAZ

          • MICHAEL TALLENT
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 28, 2013
              I don't think you should be running CFGSR and PowerSDR at the same time, run
              only CFGSR and make sure you have the green dot in the lower left side of
              the display window and then set the frequency to about one fourth of the
              frequency you set the FM receiver too. Where do you live, maybe there is
              someone near you that could help.

              Mike T W6MXV in KY

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 28, 2013
                No I haven't redone all the tests. I'm slow at such things and it will take me a while to do this. I'm first going to try one of the suggestions and see if I can hear the oscillator on an fm radio. I'm afraid I've gotten to the point that it may be over my head. It's my first such SMD tiny kit and first SDR project and. Think I've learned that it just isn't for me. Too bad as I'm desperate to find things to do in my retirement! I used to like building things but I'm in trouble if they don't work. Hen for me it becomes like playing golf!
                Tnx!

                Rick

                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 28, 2013
                  Ill try the fm rcvr idea.

                  Soundcards path seems to be working, but might be intermittent. Spectrum,does change and last night I started to hear some different static and briefly heard a psk station as I was tuning. The green light in CFGSR is on. I'm really in the dark and think ill end up either selling it or turning it over to someone to complete the build and get it working. It's becoming for me to much like golf and I have that up a long time ago. Hi hi.

                  Rick

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 28, 2013

                    > No I haven't redone all the tests. I'm slow at such things and it will take me a while to do this. I'm first going to try one of
                    > the suggestions and see if I can hear the oscillator on an fm radio. I'm afraid I've gotten to the point that it may be over my
                    > head.

                    Rick,

                    That's why everyone is trying to help. You really do not need to know anything, but you may learn something as you go.

                    Another thing to look at is the "Test" tab in CFGSR.
                    Do you get any message if you tick "Repeat" or click "Get"?
                    Don't panic, you will get there.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ

                    It's my first such SMD tiny kit and first SDR project and. Think I've learned that it just isn't for me. Too bad as I'm desperate
                    to find things to do in my retirement! I used to like building things but I'm in trouble if they don't work. Hen for me it becomes
                    like playing golf!
                    > Tnx!
                    >
                    > Rick

                  • Joe Vilardo
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 28, 2013
                      Rick
                      Don’t give up. This was my first SMD build at age 73 and it has been fun.  My RXTX Ensemble DID NOT take off and run initially.  I had an issue when I reached the first receive test.  The support from this e-mail reflector has been terrific especially the hints I got from Alan, he helped me  through getting the receiver operating and when I had trouble with the final amplifier the reflector and Alan again were there to help me through it.

                      The receiver is now playing nicely, it is a much better receiver than I thought it would be.  I have experimented with a couple of sound cards I had but found that until you get the sdr playing you are  better off sticking with simple sound cards like the ones that are built into the motherboard of a computer.  I experimented with an SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY board and a QUARTET boards I had but they are way too complex when you are trying to prove out the new SDR hardware.

                      I have made some initial tests on the TX section and can see I am getting about 1 watt on 80 meters and 0.5 watts on 40.  I am waiting for a $4.99 usb sound card to arrive so I can finish testing the TX section.  I figured the $4.99 sound card should be simple to work with until I get the TX section completely checked out.

                      Hang in there it is a rewarding experience. I am with you on golf; many years ago I had an awful time with the game it frustrated me to no end and I gave it up.

                      Joe-k3jv

                      Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 3:43 PM

                      Subject: [softrock40] RCVR Issues

                      point today using an E-mu 0202 USB sound card and PowerSDR I was receiving all sorts of RTTY signals during the contest.
                      inadvertently clicked on the 30m band button and that's when the trouble began. I was briefly able to hear signals hours
                      after fiddling some Here are my configuations and questions:

                      RXTX 6.3 init. Should I use the bottom choice which is just Ensemble RXTX?

                      is an Ensemble RXTX not a Softrock 6.3 so use that. Although I'm not sure if it will make any difference.

                      support rates up to 192K but it doesn't seem to allow that setting. The highest I've been able
                      96K.

                      suggestions out there? Could the intermittent problem be hardware related (something not soldered well) or software related?

                      waterfall/spectrum show anything in the fault condition? Any signs of reaction to tuning?
                      then it may well be a bad joint. Have a really good look. Do the tests again.

                      G4ZFQ

                    • richard.lawn@ymail.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 29, 2013
                        I appreciate all the help and advice but this was really driving me crazy and i had to do something to get it out of my sight :). It seemed like the more I did the worse things got. Someone on this list offered to get this stage working for me and hopefully he can. If z
                        so I hope to g back and finish the build as I've now improved my SMD skills significantly and my ability to, if necessary, remove components without damage. I really want to finish this but I just couldn't deal with gettin this stage to work given all the other issues on m mind these days. Thanks again to everyone and ill see you back on the list hopefully down the road when I get the board back and finish the build, and without problems I hope.
                        Rick
                        W2JAZ