Re: [softrock40] Newbie Test Software

  • Kenneth Hardy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 25, 2013
      On this theme -
      My wish for 2013 - a freshened up Rocky sdr with no malfunctions in W7 (for my Ensemble)
      And Omni-Rig capability incorporated (for use with my KX3)

      Oh then I would be a happy chappie indeed.
      Ken M0XBK

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 25, 2013
        My vote goes to HDSDR.

        I tried SDR# and found it too simplistic.

        I recently finished my RX ensemble II and love it as a gen. coverage reciever. Took a little bit to set it up and then to tweak the software settings to eliminate the mirror imaging. (under options and channel skew calibration) read the tips found there... find a strong signal that shows mirroring and then slowly tune the sliders back and forth between Phase and Amplitude to reduce the image.

        Also need to tune to a known frequency (like one of the WWV's) and then adjust for frequency calibration.

        amazing RX for $70!!

        dwight
        N7KBC

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" wrote:

        > What software should a NEWBIE use to test a softrock receiver?
        >
        > I am a highly skilled retired EE and a skilled ham. I Just have never tried one of these simple receivers.
        >
        > Bob Macklin
        > K5MYJ
        > Seattle, Wa.

      • Gordon JC Pearce
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
          On 26/01/13 06:52, rifkum wrote:
          > My vote goes to HDSDR.
          >
          > I tried SDR# and found it too simplistic.

          It's fine for receiving. What exactly do you mean by "too simplistic"?
          If you compare it to most other Windows SDR software, it's a nice,
          clean and uncluttered interface that performs well.

          I know the author of SDR# hangs about in here, and would welcome any
          suggestions or comments.

          --
          Gordonjcp MM0YEQ
        • rifkum
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
            Hey Gordon,

            Well after your question I had to go back and take a look at SDR# again.

            I think I preferred the waterfall interface on HDSDR more and some of the frequency adjustment capabilities. I also liked the secondary spectrum display of the specific bandwith that is currently tuned. And the ability to use multiple notch filters to eliminate interference. But that is probably a subjective evaluation. I really did not spend a lot of time with SDR#.

            I think what one should do is try them all and see which one you like. Not really wanting to throw rocks at SDR#... just had better luck with HDSDR.

            Dwight

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:

            > On 26/01/13 06:52, rifkum wrote:
            > > My vote goes to HDSDR.
            > >
            > > I tried SDR# and found it too simplistic.
            >
            > It's fine for receiving. What exactly do you mean by "too simplistic"?
            > If you compare it to most other Windows SDR software, it's a nice,
            > clean and uncluttered interface that performs well.
            >
            > I know the author of SDR# hangs about in here, and would welcome any
            > suggestions or comments.
            >
            > --
            > Gordonjcp MM0YEQ

          • Gordon JC Pearce
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013
              On 27/01/13 05:22, rifkum wrote:
              > Hey Gordon,
              >
              > Well after your question I had to go back and take a look at SDR#
              > again.
              >
              > I think I preferred the waterfall interface on HDSDR more and some of
              > the frequency adjustment capabilities. I also liked the secondary
              > spectrum display of the specific bandwith that is currently tuned.
              > And the ability to use multiple notch filters to eliminate
              > interference. But that is probably a subjective evaluation. I
              > really did not spend a lot of time with SDR#.

              Give it another go. I haven't tried HDSDR because I don't have Windows
              and I don't particularly want to have to go and buy a whole new PC just
              to try one program, but it looks a hell of a lot better than most of the
              SDR software out there. I'm not keen on the "graphicy" buttons and
              unlabelled sliders, and it still looks a bit cluttered, but it's much
              better than say PowerSDR which just looks like someone threw a bucket of
              widgets at the screen and some of them stuck.

              > I think what one should do is try them all and see which one you
              > like. Not really wanting to throw rocks at SDR#... just had better
              > luck with HDSDR.

              I tried various SDRs and didn't like any of them, so I wrote my own.
              It looks like this:
              http://www.gjcp.net/~gordonjcp/lysdr.jpg
              and it works pretty well, although the window is still a bit too
              cluttered and widget-heavy for my taste.

              --
              Gordonjcp MM0YEQ