RE: [softrock40] Re: Winding T4 Verification?

  • KQ8M
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2013

      No it doesn't matter which pair is to which set. Just make sure with an ohm meter that you have the windings correct and not crossing. I usually make the single wining ends rather long then wind the bifilar with the leads a bit shorter. Ohm out the pairs and make one set even shorter so you know you have the right ones. Also, it helps when inserting in the board. Others use different ways to differentiate the leads and none are wrong. Whatever helps to keep them straight. Just don't get distracted while winding. I did that on a 5 turn and it was wrong and I was only getting 500mW out. Lol Rewound and got 1.5W out full snot.

      73,

      Tim Herrick, KQ8M

      Charter Member North Coast Contesters

      kq8m@...

      AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 24, 2013
        Thanks Tim. Yes, that is what I thought. To identify the pairs, I put ~1/8" colored wire spacers on the p1(blk) p2(red) or s1(blk) s2(red) pairs and would leave the single pair without to keep track of the pairs. I also found when installing the transformers on the board, I would tin and cut the leads longer on the first pair to go in, then a little shorter on the next and so forth, this made it a snap to get all 3 paired wires in the board one pair at a time, then I would solder and clip the rest off. Worked great. This was a fun kit to build. I think I'll use the hot air method next time on the SMT parts though, but my Metcal did a fine job.