Re: RXII / SDR as a second station receiver, how to?

  • Leonard McGarity
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2013
      I think this has been discussed on the SDR-IQ and/or TS-590S forums, but cheapest, simplest way to use outboard receiver seems to be either the MFJ-1708 ext T/R relay, or the one from ELAD. I use the MFJ with SDR for receive, and TS590 or TS480HX as a transmitter. I also use an Array Solutions front end protector, AS-RXFEP, clips at .3v P-P, at the receiver ant input.

      I suppose you could also take most any ant relay, get power to it, operate it with PTT line, etc.. I have a Tohtsu CX-600M relay that I acquired for HF remote base ops, but the all in one box solution is better I think for SDR use. The Tohtsu has published isolation specs but the MFJ does not. The Tohtsu is supposed to switch in 20ms or less, while the MFJ is supposedly adjustable from 0 to 2 secs delay, with zero more like 10-20ms actually. The MFJ uses RF sense and PTT switching simultaneous which is a nice safety feature I hope.

      Only issue I have with my setup whether running RX Ensemble II or SDR-IQ is latency during transmit to receive changeover. Last couple syllables of transmit come thru PC/speakers, as will still get some RF into SDR no matter what the T/R changeover scheme, takes some amount of milliseconds to get thru PC sound card and out to speakers. I do see a screen response using SDR-Radio while transmitting, but no virtual S meter movement, no overload alert from either software or SDR-IQ (has an overload light on unit). This latency is not really a problem unless in fast cycle QSO, like a contest, etc..

      If you mean SDR in a dual receive setup with your transceiver, gets a little more complex with one antenna vs two, but above would be part of solution.

      Link, WV4I
    • PeterM
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2013
        Thanks guys.
        Mahalo, P
      • john_zl1azs
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 26, 2013
          Thanks for raising this PeterM and for your excellent reply Leonard McGarity. I had been wondering about this for a while.

          73 - John - ZL1AZS
        • john_zl1azs
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 26, 2013
            Hi all,
            Just to add to this topic, I took the liberty of suggesting to Tony Parks an rf-sensing antenna switch/relay that will keep an Ensemble RXII safe when used with, say, a 100w SSB transmitter running side by side with a separate RXII or other SDR receiver.

            I've been very tentative about DIYing something along those lines because I don't know enough, and I don't want to nuke my great little RXII receiver accidentally.

            I'm also thinking that Tony might be encouraged to put something on his drawing board if he knew there were a few more of us interested in such a kit or pre-buit unit. I think it would be a very useful module or extension for the shack.

            Tony thought it was a good suggestion :)

            73 - John - ZL1AZS