Re: Problem with CFGSR

  • warrenallgyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013
      I have had a similar problem several times. I find I have to unplug all other USB devices to my Win 7 Netbook, plug in the Softrocks, then replug the mouse, sound card, etc.

      I have also had occasion where the USB port power was disabled due to some device pulling too much power. In this case the machine had to be restarted and it came back.

      So, unplug everything, then try it. If that fails restart. If that fails.......ask Alan :-) !!!!!

      Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] Re: Problem with CFGSR

        >I have had a similar problem several times. I find I have to unplug all other USB devices to my Win 7 Netbook, plug in the
        >Softrocks, then replug the mouse, sound card, etc.
        >
        > I have also had occasion where the USB port power was disabled due to some device pulling too much power. In this case the
        > machine had to be restarted and it came back.
        >
        > So, unplug everything, then try it. If that fails restart. If that fails.......ask Alan :-) !!!!!

        No, If that does not work don't ask me!

        Although maybe try this,

        "
        NEW DRIVER INSTALLATION FILE.
        From Fred PE0FKO:-
        There is also a new driver installer for the software that can be
        downloaded at http://pe0fko.nl/SR-V9-Si570/PE0FKO-USB-Driver-Installer.exe.
        It is not already on the website, please test it."

        I think it should put the driver reference in the correct place in Windows.
        I did try it, it went through the automatic driver installation when I inserted a Softrock. But it did not prove much as I do not
        have problems.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Chris Wilson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013

          > I have had CFGSR running flawlessly for about 3 weeks suddenly I
          > have an issue with it. I am running a windows 7 machine and when I
          > plug in the usb cable I get a windows message that says it is an
          > unknown device. Tried reloading the PE0FKO driver but all I get is a
          > message that says that the driver is up to date. The first time I
          > plugged it in it identified as "device DG8SAQ-I2C" know it just says
          > unknown device. I have tried disabling and re-enabling it, uninstall
          > and re-install the driver. Yes I have the certificate installed.

          > It acts like the usb port on the soft rock is dead but I have a
          > second smaller atom processor based computer with win 7 on it that I
          > also used with the softrock and when I plug the USB cable into the
          > second computer it give me the acknowledge "Bong" and takes off perfectly.

          > Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it or is there a place I can look for a solution ?

          23/01/2013 13:14

          I have had issues with some USB wireless keyboards / mice not getting
          on with the Softrock USB stuff. nI had to buy another keyboard. Then the
          new one suffered with RF getting into the receiver dongle thing... One
          day I will be USB free :)

          So the Softrock still works fine on another PC?

          --
          Best Regards,
          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013
            I had a problem with a Softrock Ensemble RXTX on an unpowered USB hub not enumerating on Linux.  That is, I had a bunch of devices (Softrock, USB audio, PowerMate, etc.) plugged into the hub, and when I plugged the hub into my computer everything on the hub came up except the Softrock.  The logs showed multiple attempts to enumerate the Softrock failing followed by the system giving up on it.

            I discovered I could fix the problem by rearranging the order of the devices on the hub.  In an ideal world this wouldn't make any sense, but apparently the legs of the hub get enumerated in a particular order, and the Softrock works fine in some positions and works not at all in other positions.  So now I just leave all the radio parts plugged into the hub, and they all just work when I plug the hub into my computer.

            The hub identifies as 058f:6254 from Alcor Micro Corp. and I confess I am a little amazed that this continues to work.

            -- rec --
          • Joe Vilardo
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 24, 2013
              Well I finally got it  recognize the softrock ensemble as DG8SAQ-I2C by trying every single USB port on the computer, a total of 6.  When I tried the last one, a port on the front of the computer, not one of the 4 directly mounted on the MB, it recognized the softrock and the “unknown device” went away. If you ask me why it finally responded I haven’t got a clue!  Very frustrating experience to say the least.  The new driver install program that Alan suggested was a bust.

              Joe

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 24, 2013
                The SoftRock uses V-USB. The first bullet point of the features as well as the hardware info about 5V is of interest here.
                http://www.obdev.at/products/vusb/index.html

                73 David AE9RB
                http://AE9RB.com/