ensamble tx on both sidebands at the same time

  • PAUL
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2013
      Any one had this? Receive works perfectly but I am transmitting on upper and lower sideband at the same time. I have changed sound cards and confirmed that the output is stereo. I also noticed that I could not set the tx channel skew calibration in HDSDR as it had no effect.

      I guess I need to look at the TX mixer, could I have wound one of the transformers incorrectly to cause this?

      Any ideas where I should start - I do not have a scope..:-(

      Regards
      Paul G1FJH
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 19, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] ensamble tx on both sidebands at the same time

        > Any one had this? Receive works perfectly but I am transmitting on upper and lower sideband at the same time. I have changed sound
        > cards and confirmed that the output is stereo. I also noticed that I could not set the tx channel skew calibration in HDSDR as it
        > had no effect.
        >
        > I guess I need to look at the TX mixer, could I have wound one of the transformers incorrectly to cause this?

        Paul,

        You are certain you have two signals in and no shorts between them?
        It is possible T2 is at fault.
        If your meter AC range is specified to 10KHz, many are, then TX close to centre and check that the 4 opamp outputs are much the
        same.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • PAUL
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 20, 2013
          Thanks Alan
          Using the meter on ac is a good tip
          Looks like I have signal where I expect it
          Think I will lift out T2 next

          Paul

          > Subject: [softrock40] ensamble tx on both sidebands at the same time
          >

          > > Any one had this? Receive works perfectly but I am transmitting on upper and lower sideband at the same time. I have changed sound
          > > cards and confirmed that the output is stereo. I also noticed that I could not set the tx channel skew calibration in HDSDR as it
          > > had no effect.
          > >
          > > I guess I need to look at the TX mixer, could I have wound one of the transformers incorrectly to cause this?
          > >

          > Paul,
          >
          > You are certain you have two signals in and no shorts between them?
          > It is possible T2 is at fault.
          > If your meter AC range is specified to 10KHz, many are, then TX close to centre and check that the 4 opamp outputs are much the
          > same.
          >
          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • ejfelix4976
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 20, 2013
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "PAUL" wrote:

            > Thanks Alan
            > Using the meter on ac is a good tip
            > Looks like I have signal where I expect it
            > Think I will lift out T2 next
            >
            > Paul
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" wrote:

            I just ran into this while testing my Ensemble RXTX a couple of days
            ago.
            I was using the mic input to the sound card and the line out to the rxtx
            I could transmit, but after looking at it with a spectrum analyzer,
            I was transmitting DSB.
            Turns out the Mic input was not being processed by the software
            When I looked at it with an oscilloscope, the two channels were in
            phase on the sound card line out.

            Hope this helps,
            73,
            Ed
          • PAUL
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 21, 2013
              That's very interesting Ed
              I thought I had solved it having rewound t2 and sending a tone from Rocky it looked like I was txing on USB. However when using a mic and testing fully I found I was on DSB

              Perhaps I also have the same problem as you? I will recheck by sending the tone from rocky again and will pay more attention to the result.

              Thanks hopefully that's it.
              Paul