RXTX Stage 3 LO test, works then dosen't.

  • kryoclasm
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 15, 2013
      Hello,

      I am puzzled at the problem that I have.

      I finished the assembly of the local oscillator section and I plugged the board into the computer after I installed the driver and software to do the checks and tests.

      Ran CFGSR and It worked like a champ... for about 2 minutes then the software fails to detect the board anymore.

      Ok, I unplug it and then plug it back in. Win 7 tells me "USB Device Unrecognized" in a bubble notice window.

      Then I wait for about an hour (I was looking over the board) and then I plug it back in and Win 7 recognizes the RXTX again and works!... for about 1 or 2 minutes, then nothing again.

      I checked around, I removed any logitech wireless items from my usb bus, but it does not seem to help.

      I have doubled checked the board but, all the parts are correct, the soldering seems good under a 10x loupe, and my voltage tests from the USB stage were good. I did take ESD precaution the whole way so far.

      Any ideas? Could the AVR be flaky?

      BTW, I have an electronics hobbyist background and IT computer experience, but I'm new to SDR and USB comm stuff.

      My board date is 5/24/10.

      Shawn
      KL3DL
    • Dennis Andersen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 15, 2013

        Just an answer that might sound stupid. But I once had a similar issue.

        Have you tried to change your usb-cable ? That did the trick at my part.

        I have tried the same usb cable at other appliances after where it did seem to work,

        But reasonly I tried it again on something else and it failed again.

        Now thrown away…..

        Best regards

        OZ2DA

        Dennis Andersen

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 15, 2013
          >> Ran CFGSR and It worked like a champ... for about 2 minutes then the software fails to detect the board anymore.
          >
          > Ok, I unplug it and then plug it back in. Win 7 tells me "USB Device Unrecognized" in a bubble notice window.
          >
          > Then I wait for about an hour (I was looking over the board) and then I plug it back in and Win 7 recognizes the RXTX again and
          > works!... for about 1 or 2 minutes, then nothing again.

          Shawn

          Difficult to be sure with this kind of intermittent but most problems are bad joints. The one on the ground pin of the AVR is a
          favourite.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

          > I checked around, I removed any logitech wireless items from my usb bus, but it does not seem to help.
          >
          > I have doubled checked the board but, all the parts are correct, the soldering seems good under a 10x loupe, and my voltage tests
          > from the USB stage were good. I did take ESD precaution the whole way so far.
          >
          > Any ideas? Could the AVR be flaky?
          >
          > BTW, I have an electronics hobbyist background and IT computer experience, but I'm new to SDR and USB comm stuff.
          >
          > My board date is 5/24/10.

        • Michael Walker
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 15, 2013
            I had a similar problem.

            It would come and go, and this was on XP.

            I reworked all the connections, but no joy.  Changed the cables several times.  Same problem.  Rebooted.  Same problem.

            I had pretty much thought that it was the USB connector on the board, so I bought another one locally and was going to change it when I had to.

             I set it aside for a bit and continued building.  Last night, doing the PTT tests, it was fine.  Weird.

            I will let you know if it shows up again.

            Mike va3mw

            On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:11 AM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

            >> Ran CFGSR and It worked like a champ... for about 2 minutes then the software fails to detect the board anymore.
            >
            > Ok, I unplug it and then plug it back in. Win 7 tells me "USB Device Unrecognized" in a bubble notice window.
            >
            > Then I wait for about an hour (I was looking over the board) and then I plug it back in and Win 7 recognizes the RXTX again and
            > works!... for about 1 or 2 minutes, then nothing again.

            Shawn

            Difficult to be sure with this kind of intermittent but most problems are bad joints. The one on the ground pin of the AVR is a
            favourite.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

            > I checked around, I removed any logitech wireless items from my usb bus, but it does not seem to help.
            >
            > I have doubled checked the board but, all the parts are correct, the soldering seems good under a 10x loupe, and my voltage tests
            > from the USB stage were good. I did take ESD precaution the whole way so far.
            >
            > Any ideas? Could the AVR be flaky?
            >
            > BTW, I have an electronics hobbyist background and IT computer experience, but I'm new to SDR and USB comm stuff.
            >
            > My board date is 5/24/10.

          • John Burgoon
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 15, 2013
              Shawn,

              I'll chime in, too.  On my Ensemble build I had a similar issue.   I found it by gently pressing the Ensemble with a finger while it was powered up and plugged in to the USB port.  I could get it to make those happy little Windows "bloop" noises if I pressed, and then it would bloop again in reverse for the disconnect as soon as I let up.  Probably not the best way to treat the poor thing.

              I went backward from where I had stopped and was able to visually locate a bad solder joint, exactly at the microcontroller as Alan mentions.

              John

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 15, 2013
                Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try after work then I'll let youknow.

                Shawn
                KL3DL
              • kryoclasm
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 16, 2013
                  Well, no joy so far.

                  I have changed usb cables, re-soldiered the common problem locations, pressed the board.

                  Don't know what is up.

                  I did get a screen grab of cfgsr when it did work for about a minute...

                  http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/16110173/sn/651054518/name/test_rxtx.jpg

                  Don't know if it is of any help.

                  Shawn
                  KL3DL
                • kryoclasm
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                    BRICK WALL.

                    Well I can't find anything physical that might be causing the problem.

                    I pulled U1 and measured the socket voltages while connected to the computer.

                    Are these normal?

                    My ground was from the ground plane.

                    At this point I can't finish this project if it won't ever reliably connect to the computer for any length of time.

                    Any other ideas are welcome.

                    Shawn
                    KL3DL
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                        I am sure it has been asked before, but I would like to re-ask.

                        You are plugged into a native port on the computer or through a powered hub?  Not plugged into a small non-powered hub.

                        It sounds like a power issue.  If you measure the +5 line from the computer while it is going bad, what happens?

                        Just a thought.

                        Mike va3mw

[...]

                      • Peter Johnson

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                            ok. I'll do some voltage tests with u1 in socket. No bridges or whiskers on the board.
                            Thanks.

                            Shawn

                            > Subject: [softrock40] Re: RXTX Stage 3 LO test, works then dosen't.
                            >

                            > >BRICK WALL.
                            > Well I can't find anything physical that might be causing the problem.
                            > I pulled U1 and measured the socket voltages while connected to the
                            > computer.
                            > U1 voltage readings.

                            841233/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc>
                            > Are these normal?
                            > My ground was from the ground plane.
                            >
                            > Shawn,
                            >
                            > Very pretty when I finally found the picture.
                            > But you may well have just typed the voltages in your post, that's what we need when looking at the schematic.
                            > 1] 5.0
                            > 2] 3.33
                            > 3] 0.12
                            > 4] 0.04
                            > 5] 2.18
                            > 6] 2.68
                            > 7] 2.69
                            > 8] 5.0
                            > I guess these are what I'd expect but I've never measured them.
                            > Most measurements are taken with the AVR inserted.
                            >
                            > Have you tried it on another computer? It is just possible it has a problem.
                            > This must be either the connections or components between U1 and USB.
                            > Measure all resistors in circuit.
                            > Check continuity between USB and U1. Check carefully for any possible whiskers between tracks.
                            > If nothing is found then substitution may be needed.
                            > The zeners are a possibility.
                            > It could be U1.
                            >
                            > There's not too much it can be, keep at it.
                            >
                            > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
                            >

                            > At this point I can't finish this project if it won't ever reliably
                            > connect to the computer for any length of time.
                            > Any other ideas are welcome.
                            > ShawnKL3DL

                          • kryoclasm
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                              Mike,

                              The sdr is plugged directly into the pc USB port. I have tried other ports too.
                              while plugged in I maintain a constant 5V.
                              I have a very high quality power supply in my pc, I put it in myself.

                              Shawn

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Michael Walker wrote:

                              > I am sure it has been asked before, but I would like to re-ask.
                              >
                              > You are plugged into a native port on the computer or through a powered
                              > hub? Not plugged into a small non-powered hub.
                              >
                              > It sounds like a power issue. If you measure the +5 line from the computer
                              > while it is going bad, what happens?
                              >
                              > Just a thought.
                              >
                              > Mike va3mw
                              >

                              > On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 3:52 AM, Alan wrote:
                              >
                              > > **

                            • kryoclasm
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                                I never heard of a USB port going into sleep mode. but in my case, no issue with that.

                                Shawn

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                                    They sure do.
                                    Especially in Laptops and any energy efficient device.
                                    Many problems with this when try to control a CNC machine on a USB device.  Been there done it and have both  T-Shirt and Travel Mug. ;-)
                                    Make sure that it is disabled. At times it can be a challenge and Windozes knows best. If you cant find detailed information I can dig around some.
                                    Googling "Mach3 and Smoothstepper" might get an answer.

                                    Dave
                                    VE7PKE