Re: [softrock40] How does one set up the Ensemble RXTX transmit?

  • prhorne
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 14, 2013
      Hi John, Transmittting is all about which software you use. Rocky will transmit CW, you just need to plug your key into the paddles jack on your RXTX. I personally use PSDR-IQ from SV1EIA, which is a more versatile program but needsa good soundcard to work properly. I use SV1EIA's USB2SDR which makes life a lot simpler, but I know other people use Delta44 cards. again the key is simply put into the paddles jack on your RXTX. With SDR radio its all about the software, the hardware is very simle as you have discovered, but the software needs some playing with in order to get the correct settings. However once you have got it set its very nice to use.
      I hope this helps you a little. If you need more clarification pse e-mail me off list.
      Peter G3JRH

    • martjegreen
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 17, 2013
        Hello,

        Straight forward answers... working on XP ! No, no, there is NO One-Answer-It-All PDF on the net, just a bunch of guys and girls, willing to help through this InterestGroup for instance or by programming all the interesting drivers to make a softrock react like a FlexRadio SDR1000 for instance...

        PowerSDR should do the trick, in the versions 1.19 for direct CW-key connection. PowerSDR 2.xx will NOT work with direct CW-keying!!!
        - first install .net 3.5 and higher updates from Microsoft
        - then install PowerSDR (DO NOT run it yet!)
        - Install the external USB-drivers made by: PE0FKO (WA2EBY)

        HDSDR will work when installed from within the ZADIG-installation. (Ideal for Out-of-Band operation, wich is prehibited by PowerSDR) Make SURE you add the activate-V within Options for the SDR-TX support after installation.

        Questions? No questions?

        PS. I have worked many stations in Europe with the RX-TX Ensemble without PA on 40 an 20 meters... Even when using an old Yaesu FRT 7700 antenna-tuner as preselector/tuner, allthough this was not originally made for TX, and a long forgotten Antennamodel: TTFD, hung tilded from 11mtr top to 5 mtr bottom height, not ideally hung as you could/should agree.

        With regards: Martin PD0ZZ Netherlands

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "noogrub" wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I come here already very frustrated by the apparent difficulty in obtaining a straight answer about the Ensemble RXTX. I built it, it's great. I love the thing.
        >
        > However after spending some time using it as a receiver only, I decided to go ahead and start transmitting with it.
        >
        > Darned if I can figure this out. HDSDR apparently is not "ready yet"? Rocky needs a serial port? I can't seem to get PowerSDR working on WinXP but I'm wondering if it's worth the effort since I cannot find any place that explains how that would let me transmit with the Ensemble anyway. Very bizzare.
        >
        > Is there any place on the web where there are straightforward, reproducible steps to setting up this device to transmit? What software do I need? Can I just plug in a key?
        >
        > I hope you will all pardon my annoyance. And frankly, I prefer not to answer 20 questions about what I am using, or if I've tested this or that. Let's assume I have it all perfectly built. It seems to me that somewhere there should be a checklist that says: good job, now use this, plug in this, do that, key up, good luck.
        >
        > The lack of that has been a real surprise, since everything else about this device has been great. The build notes were clear and quite thorough. The testing procedures were easy. All of a sudden, there's some hardware for an external filter, and.... eh....
        >
        > It seem obvious to me that I am just missing something. But darned if I can figure out where to look. Is there a footnote I failed to read?
        >
        > Help appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks, John KC9TUI

      • joelweder
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
          Hi all,

          Strange thing but this thread seems to have gone dead! I too am now at the point where I want to start transmitting with my Softrock. It seems nobody is willing to put down on paper (so to speak) the process they've followed. Is this an initiation of some sort? Don't get into the secret society unless you can figure out how to get your softrock to transmit with PowerSDR or whatever?

          I, like so many other people, have limited free time and patience. My little Softrock is receiving wonderfully, and all the instructions on Robby's website are absolutely amazing. But then when it comes time to get the little sucker talking, there's a huge vacuum in terms of online help. Just a bunch of very generic comments, none of which are really very helpful.

          I realize everybody here is likely just as busy as I am. But for all the huge effort that has gone into this project so far, it would be absolutely WONDERFUL if 2 or 3 people would take on the chore of documenting their specific setups. Eg Rocky on CW, PowerSDR on SSB, etc.

          Joel, VE6EI

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
            Subject: [softrock40] Re: How does one set up the Ensemble RXTX transmit?

            > Hi all,
            >
            > Strange thing but this thread seems to have gone dead! I too am now at the point where I want to start transmitting with my
            > Softrock. It seems nobody is willing to put down on paper (so to speak) the process they've followed. Is this an initiation of
            > some sort? Don't get into the secret society unless you can figure out how to get your softrock to transmit with PowerSDR or
            > whatever?

            Joel,

            Yes, that's right do it yourself. If you did not write in that tone of voice maybe you'll get nicer replies.

            As far as I know what you ask does not exist.
            Yes, I figured it out, fumbled about experimenting until I got my system to work.
            It seems most others manage the same with a little help from the group.

            With soundcard SDR there is no guaranteed route, everyone's setup and requirements are different.
            Most likely to succeed and best documented is PSDR using a supported card. BUT lots of learning required.
            https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/soundcard_sdr_software#PSDR-IQ and the rest of my PSDR section gives links to everything
            but it is not all in one place. The latest PDSDR-IQ will do everything.

            Sorry, it's do it yourself, members of the group try hard with specific questions.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

            > I, like so many other people, have limited free time and patience. My little Softrock is receiving wonderfully, and all the
            > instructions on Robby's website are absolutely amazing. But then when it comes time to get the little sucker talking, there's a
            > huge vacuum in terms of online help. Just a bunch of very generic comments, none of which are really very helpful.
            >
            > I realize everybody here is likely just as busy as I am. But for all the huge effort that has gone into this project so far, it
            > would be absolutely WONDERFUL if 2 or 3 people would take on the chore of documenting their specific setups. Eg Rocky on CW,
            > PowerSDR on SSB, etc.

          • Adam Jacobs
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013
              >> Yes, that's right do it yourself. If you did not write in that tone
              of voice maybe you'll get nicer replies.

              This is a very confusing statement to me, because I didn't read anything
              negative in any of the _previous_ posts.
              The sentence itself is self-contradicting. There is no such thing as a
              written "tone of voice". The voice that you hear when you're reading
              somebody else's writing? That's your own voice, in your own head and it
              is skewed by your own attitude.

              -Adam W7QI
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013

                > That's your own voice, in your own head and it
                > is skewed by your own attitude.

                Adam,

                OK, it all seemed very negative to me. Maybe it was not meant that way.

                But unlike anyone else I did attempt to reply.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ
              • Joe Vilardo
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013
                  Adam

                  You are way off base. There isn't any other reflector group that I know of who freely give as much support as this softrock40 group does.

                  Joe Vilardo
                  West Chester, PA

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013
                    Yes, you did, Alan, and I appreciate that very much (especially since I have an RXTX that I haven't started on the transmit configuration end of things yet). I wasn't trying to be denigrating, I simply wanted to point out that it is very easy to make the assumption that an email contains emotional content that was never intended by the author.

                    -Adam

                    On 2/22/2013 1:52 PM, Alan wrote:

                    > That's your own voice, in your own head and it
                    > is skewed by your own attitude.

                    Adam,

                    OK, it all seemed very negative to me. Maybe it was not meant that way.

                    But unlike anyone else I did attempt to reply.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ

                  • kb9gpm
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013
                      Hi Joel

                      We'll I'll take a stab at helping you with your radio. Like the others have said, it's a very much dig in and learn it all yourself kind of thing.

                      So first things first.

                      What kind of sound card are you using and what version of PowerSDR?

                      For reference, I've seemed to have the best luck with PowerSDRc2.4.4 for homemade rigs. At least so far since I'm still trying different combinations out. I'm also using the E-mu 0202 USB sound card.

                      Also, I'm still testing things on mine and haven't done much more than do the tone tests to confirm the PA section is working.

                      73's
                      Dave KB9GPM

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "joelweder" <jweder@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > Strange thing but this thread seems to have gone dead! I too am now at the point where I want to start transmitting with my Softrock. It seems nobody is willing to put down on paper (so to speak) the process they've followed. Is this an initiation of some sort? Don't get into the secret society unless you can figure out how to get your softrock to transmit with PowerSDR or whatever?
                      >
                      > I, like so many other people, have limited free time and patience. My little Softrock is receiving wonderfully, and all the instructions on Robby's website are absolutely amazing. But then when it comes time to get the little sucker talking, there's a huge vacuum in terms of online help. Just a bunch of very generic comments, none of which are really very helpful.
                      >
                      > I realize everybody here is likely just as busy as I am. But for all the huge effort that has gone into this project so far, it would be absolutely WONDERFUL if 2 or 3 people would take on the chore of documenting their specific setups. Eg Rocky on CW, PowerSDR on SSB, etc.
                      >
                      > Joel, VE6EI

                    • John Williams
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013
                        Joel,

                        I can help with HDSDR if you choose to go that way. As a start, I have
                        found that PowerSDR needs a fairly new (newer than my Pentium 4 dual
                        core circa 2007) CPU. HDSR runs well on this system. If you have a
                        system that is newer, running 2GB of memory, then PowerSDR will work
                        much better.

                        I have run PowerSDR also so will help there if necessary.

                        John - ke5ssh

                        --

                        John Williams

                        KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                        WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm
                      • warrenallgyer
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013
                          Joel

                          In my experience Rocky is the easiest and quickest to get working on transmit. It can be more difficult and a little unstable on Win 7 and above.

                          Here is what you need to do:

                          1) Connect the Line Out from you sound card to the Line Out connector on the RXTX.

                          2) Set up the View/Settings/Transmit tab. Tick the Transmit Enabled box and set the IQ Output Device. The other settings I leave at default.

                          3) Set the Transmit Mode (the little blue mic symbol pulldown) to CW

                          4) You are ready to transmit a test tone. Under the Tx pulldown select Test Tone. You should get 1-2 watts out into a dummy load. Click the Tx button to return to receive.

                          5) If all is good, you can plug a key into the Paddles jack and you are ready to go. The key can be a straight key or paddles. You make this selection under the Tools/CW Console menu (only available when in CW mode) where you can also set the keyer speed.

                          6) Click the Green Tx button and key away. Click the Tx button again to go back to receive. Output power level and CW sidetone are adjustable on the View/Settings/Transmit tab.

                          The simplest transmit mode on Rocky is BPSK31. Simple click the Tx key and type. Tune a BPSK signal and it decodes at the bottom of the screen.

                          There is no transmit mode for SSB on Rocky. If you want simple SSB I recommend HDSDR and you already have a volunteer to help you with that. Hint: a cheap USB headset mic makes HDSDR SSB a snap.

                          Enjoy!

                          Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "joelweder" <jweder@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          >
                          > Strange thing but this thread seems to have gone dead! I too am now at the point where I want to start transmitting with my Softrock. It seems nobody is willing to put down on paper (so to speak) the process they've followed. Is this an initiation of some sort? Don't get into the secret society unless you can figure out how to get your softrock to transmit with PowerSDR or whatever?
                          >
                          > I, like so many other people, have limited free time and patience. My little Softrock is receiving wonderfully, and all the instructions on Robby's website are absolutely amazing. But then when it comes time to get the little sucker talking, there's a huge vacuum in terms of online help. Just a bunch of very generic comments, none of which are really very helpful.
                          >
                          > I realize everybody here is likely just as busy as I am. But for all the huge effort that has gone into this project so far, it would be absolutely WONDERFUL if 2 or 3 people would take on the chore of documenting their specific setups. Eg Rocky on CW, PowerSDR on SSB, etc.
                          >
                          > Joel, VE6EI

                        • warrenallgyer
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013
                            Joel

                            After hitting SEND I realized I made some assumptions that a newbie may not make:

                            1) You will need a second sound card. You need a sound input for the Line In from the RXTX and, of course, a Speaker output to listen to. Finally you need a separate output for the Transmit to the Line Out of the RXTX. I like to use a USB headset for the Speaker out and the laptop Line In for receive audio and the laptop Line Out for transmit. It is a matter of personal preference.

                            2) You will want to adjust the IQ balance on transmit. This is under Tools/Tx IQ Balance. You will need a second receiver. You will likely not need to connect it directly to the RXTX. With the RXTX on a dummy load and the receiver tuned to the Image frequency on the left side of the adjustment screen, click the Start button and use the sliders to null the image signal. Retune the receive to the image freq on the right side and do the same. Go back and forth until you get no further improvement or until the image signals disappear.... and they should disappear completely. This is a separate adjustment for each band you use on Rocky.

                            3) The list of center frequencies under the frequency pulldown is readily editable. Under Help click on Data folder and open the Rocky configuration file in a Text Editor. Scroll down to the band settings and add whatever frequencies you want, following the template of what is already there.

                            Finally, all of this is information is readily available in much more detail in the help file under Help/Web Site.

                            Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013
                              I've been staying away from the group for a couple of days as the stress was honestly causing me some illness. I had been trying to work through the myriad of possible ways to get my softrock working on Tx and became totally overwhelmed. I guess I'm not good with messy complexity.

                              As a result I reached out for help, but ended up using some dark humor which my friends find funny but probably most others would think to be harsh. So my apologies if my post appeared too rude.

                              Thanks to all who have written to make suggestions about how to move forward. I will give it a try, and will reply separately to those other posts.

                              Since my previous post I have also found Alan's very helpful page: https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/soundcard_sdr_software which contains a lot of useful information. I guess I wasn't using the right search terms in Google because this page had never come up for me before.

                              > Subject: [softrock40] Re: How does one set up the Ensemble RXTX transmit?
                              >

                              > > Hi all,
                              > >
                              > > Strange thing but this thread seems to have gone dead! I too am now at the point where I want to start transmitting with my
                              > > Softrock. It seems nobody is willing to put down on paper (so to speak) the process they've followed. Is this an initiation of
                              > > some sort? Don't get into the secret society unless you can figure out how to get your softrock to transmit with PowerSDR or
                              > > whatever?
                              >
                              > Joel,
                              >
                              > Yes, that's right do it yourself. If you did not write in that tone of voice maybe you'll get nicer replies.
                              >
                              > As far as I know what you ask does not exist.
                              > Yes, I figured it out, fumbled about experimenting until I got my system to work.
                              > It seems most others manage the same with a little help from the group.
                              >
                              > With soundcard SDR there is no guaranteed route, everyone's setup and requirements are different.
                              > Most likely to succeed and best documented is PSDR using a supported card. BUT lots of learning required.
                              > https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/soundcard_sdr_software#PSDR-IQ and the rest of my PSDR section gives links to everything
                              > but it is not all in one place. The latest PDSDR-IQ will do everything.
                              >
                              > Sorry, it's do it yourself, members of the group try hard with specific questions.
                              >
                              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
                              >

                              > > I, like so many other people, have limited free time and patience. My little Softrock is receiving wonderfully, and all the
                              > > instructions on Robby's website are absolutely amazing. But then when it comes time to get the little sucker talking, there's a
                              > > huge vacuum in terms of online help. Just a bunch of very generic comments, none of which are really very helpful.
                              > >
                              > > I realize everybody here is likely just as busy as I am. But for all the huge effort that has gone into this project so far, it
                              > > would be absolutely WONDERFUL if 2 or 3 people would take on the chore of documenting their specific setups. Eg Rocky on CW,
                              > > PowerSDR on SSB, etc.

                            • joelweder
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013
                                Hi Dave and all,

                                I'm using a PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL. It's an external USB device, a 2 track recording interface for musicians. Not ideal but I needed it for other projects anyway. It's got 96 kHz bandwidth which is good enough for my uses. My Dell Studio XPS 8000 also has a Soundblaster x-Fi Xtreme audio card which should suffice for mic in & audio out to my ears.

                                The Dell has a Core i7 cpu running Win7, 8 GB RAM at 2.8 GHz. It should suffice for PowerSDR but Rocky is out except for simple experiments. I've had strange results with Rocky, and I know it's meant for WinXP or older. (A real shame, would be great to see a Win7 version someday!)

                                I'm using PowerSDR 2.4.4 by Christos. This is one of the real areas of confusion for me. Every time I get online I see someone recommending a different version. Some posts (older ones) say that only version 1.x.x works well, and I've wondered if I must stick with an otherwise obsolete version to allow me to have full use of the Softrock RxTx.

                                I have gotten so far as to send test tones as well, getting almost 3 watts out at 40 metres and 2 watts at 20 metres. My biggest concern right now is avoiding overdriving, but I haven't found good instructions from Christos about how to set up his version of PowerSDR to avoid that. Time for more reading...

                                Joel, VE6EI

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9gpm" <goofy_36@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Joel
                                >
                                > We'll I'll take a stab at helping you with your radio. Like the others have said, it's a very much dig in and learn it all yourself kind of thing.
                                >
                                > So first things first.
                                >
                                > What kind of sound card are you using and what version of PowerSDR?
                                >
                                > For reference, I've seemed to have the best luck with PowerSDRc2.4.4 for homemade rigs. At least so far since I'm still trying different combinations out. I'm also using the E-mu 0202 USB sound card.
                                >
                                > Also, I'm still testing things on mine and haven't done much more than do the tone tests to confirm the PA section is working.
                                >
                                > 73's
                                > Dave KB9GPM
                                >
                                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "joelweder" <jweder@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi all,
                                > >
                                > > Strange thing but this thread seems to have gone dead! I too am now at the point where I want to start transmitting with my Softrock. It seems nobody is willing to put down on paper (so to speak) the process they've followed. Is this an initiation of some sort? Don't get into the secret society unless you can figure out how to get your softrock to transmit with PowerSDR or whatever?
                                > >
                                > > I, like so many other people, have limited free time and patience. My little Softrock is receiving wonderfully, and all the instructions on Robby's website are absolutely amazing. But then when it comes time to get the little sucker talking, there's a huge vacuum in terms of online help. Just a bunch of very generic comments, none of which are really very helpful.
                                > >
                                > > I realize everybody here is likely just as busy as I am. But for all the huge effort that has gone into this project so far, it would be absolutely WONDERFUL if 2 or 3 people would take on the chore of documenting their specific setups. Eg Rocky on CW, PowerSDR on SSB, etc.
                                > >
                                > > Joel, VE6EI

                              • joelweder
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013
                                  Hi Warren,

                                  Thanks for your helpful comments. As I'm using Win7 I'm going to focus on PowerSDR rather than Rocky. A bit of a shame as Rocky seems so much easier in some ways. (I want to run CW and PSK31 mostly) I've already used Rocky enough to know it's a bit flakey on my machine. I might install it on an older laptop here at some point but not enough time for going in multiple directions right now.

                                  I'm sure your comments will be very helpful to others who want to try Rocky however!

                                  Joel VE6EI

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013
                                    Further comments...

                                    I've just read another post that notes PowerSDR 2.x.x won't work if I want to plug my paddles directly in to the SoftRock. That's a shame, as I hate using obsolete software when there's a shiny new version waiting for me! I have a serial port paddle interface so will try that.

                                    There's a LOT of discussion about how to configure Rocky to ensure the radio doesn't over-drive on Tx. But so far I haven't seen anything about how to do that in PowerSDR. I've found the PA Settings tab in Setup but they seem to be aimed at calibrating a 100 watt Flex radio not a 1-2 watt Softrock. Can anyone make suggestions about how this must be done, or does PowerSDR manage it automatically, or?

                                    Joel VE6EI

                                  • John Greusel
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013
                                      Joel,

                                      To some degree it's a matter of permutations and combinations. There are so many possible configurations that it is difficult to document a setup that's really a universal. Alan has done a good job of giving a good overview. I would suggest just plunging ahead and ask questions when you're stuck. As I usually do- I challenge you to document your progress and post a file that may be the bread crumbs that others can follow.

                                      John
                                      KC9OJV

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013

                                        > Further comments...
                                        >
                                        > I've just read another post that notes PowerSDR 2.x.x won't work if I want to plug my paddles directly in to the SoftRock. That's
                                        > a shame, as I hate using obsolete software when there's a shiny new version waiting for me! I have a serial port paddle interface
                                        > so will try that.
                                        >
                                        > There's a LOT of discussion about how to configure Rocky to ensure the radio doesn't over-drive on Tx. But so far I haven't seen
                                        > anything about how to do that in PowerSDR. I've found the PA Settings tab in Setup but they seem to be aimed at calibrating a 100
                                        > watt Flex radio not a 1-2 watt Softrock. Can anyone make suggestions about how this must be done, or does PowerSDR manage it
                                        > automatically, or?

                                        Joel,

                                        I think that this calibration is the way. There can be no automatic action. Again I think information is either in past posts or the
                                        Files section of the PSDR-IQ group. I know I've seen the correct way somewhere...

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013

                                          > I'm using PowerSDR 2.4.4 by Christos. This is one of the real areas of confusion for me. Every time I get online I see someone
                                          > recommending a different version. Some posts (older ones) say that only version 1.x.x works well, and I've wondered if I must
                                          > stick with an otherwise obsolete version to allow me to have full use of the Softrock RxTx.

                                          Joel,

                                          Stick with that one if you can.
                                          Note that Christos will say that you must use a supported card. Not easy. You may manage without but nothing is guaranteed.

                                          Some of the earlier versions are more flexible in that respect but are missing later developments.

                                          > I have gotten so far as to send test tones as well, getting almost 3 watts out at 40 metres and 2 watts at 20 metres. My biggest
                                          > concern right now is avoiding overdriving, but I haven't found good instructions from Christos about how to set up his version of
                                          > PowerSDR to avoid that. Time for more reading...

                                          That seems to be pushing too hard.
                                          As mentioned on my page the full PSDR manual is in the Files section of the PDSR-IQ group. And also look at the Links section.

                                          73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                        • kb9gpm
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013
                                            Hi Joel

                                            Well if you are getting the tone tests to work and a good output, you are mostly there. I just finished playing with mine to test some things. In my case, all I had to do was adjust the drive slider in the PowerSDR to get the output to ~ 1w. The drive slider would let me adjust it from 0W to almost 5W when set to about 75%. After 75% drive it didn't change.

                                            73's
                                            Dave