Re: [softrock40] How sensitive (relatively) is the RXTX Ensemble receiver

  • Joe Vilardo
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2013
      Alan

      Finally sorted out the issue with low sensitivity.  I had several false starts; rewound T5 , thought I might have reversed the bifilar winding direction and concerned that I was too aggressive with the number of twists per inch, but that wasn’t the problem. I rechecked DC voltages several times but no joy. I never could see any change in the noise floor when I attached the antenna and decided to try your suggestion of by passing the rf switching and attach the antenna direct to L4. Not easy to unsolder the #30 wire lead from it’s pad but it was worth the effort because the receiver came to life.  The Softrock has a very nice receiver NOW.  I re-attached the end of L4 and took a close look at Q10’s solder pads with the 10X eye loupe and thought that there could be a solder bridge between two of the pads so I solder wicked the pads to be on the safe side.  I rechecked all the voltages in the rx switching path from the supplemental notes
      of G8VOI and they were in the ball park.  My conclusion is that in my original install of L4 I didn’t get all the enamel off at the point of attachment OR a solder bridge at Q10.

      This receiver sensitivity is equal or better than the TS590 and that is great !

      Thanks for the supporting comments and the suggestions.  It is nice to know I am not out here alone trying to get through this challenging project.

      Joe K3JV