Re: Ensemble RXTX Failed Driver/PA Test

  • warrenallgyer
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
      Jerry

      I am going to jump in here in case you are in a hurry and Alan may be busy.

      The base voltage at Q3 is incorrect. It should be your PS voltage minus about 0.7 volts...if you are using a 12V PS then it should be 11.3.

      I would guess Q3 is either bad or installed incorrectly.

      You do not appear to be getting the proper S12V signal. You can look at the hairpin of R37. It should be 0V during receive and near to the PS voltage on transmit. Without S12V at 12V during transmit the rig will not go into transmit mode.

      Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 12, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble RXTX Failed Driver/PA Test

        > I am going to jump in here in case you are in a hurry and Alan may be busy.
        >
        > The base voltage at Q3 is incorrect. It should be your PS voltage minus about 0.7 volts...if you are using a 12V PS then it should
        > be 11.3.
        >
        > I would guess Q3 is either bad or installed incorrectly.

        Yes Q3 base voltage is impossible if Q3 is good and installed properly.

        In a hurry, been playing WSPR 50mW on 60m and USA spots.
        But G4ZFQ 5.288634 +0 0 IO90ir +17 0.050 KB9AMG EN52tx 6287 3907

        Really musy be impossible! But it's in the database....

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 13, 2013

          >The image is a little better on the website (go to the Ensemble RXTX kit's
          RF/IO stage page and check out the "Progressive Schematic" hearing at the
          beginning if the testing section of that stage.

          Robby,

          I still do not see anything on that page.

          But the attachment in your previous post is the sort of thing I was thinking about.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

          On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM, R. R. (Robby) Robson <rrrobson@...>wrote:

          > **
          >
          > [Attachment(s) <#13c2ba940932e32b_TopText> from R. R. (Robby) Robson
          > included below]
          >
          > Alan:
          >
          > Good idea, but it may be a little problematic given the size and scope of
          > the RXTX's schematic. I may give it a try - but no promises. One approach
          > may be to take the entire schematic and copy it once per stage, with a link
          > to the stage's version of the total schematic embedded at strategic points
          > on the page for the stage. I could then use colored masks to dim the past
          > (yellow) and future (blue) parts and leave the current stage's parts
          > undimmed. See attached example.

        • R. R. (Robby) Robson
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 13, 2013
            Alan:

            Oops, my bad.  I tested the process on my development machine and never uploaded it to the site.  Try the Ensemble RXTX RF/IO stage again (nestled between the completed photos and the test sections.

            On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

            >The image is a little better on the website (go to the Ensemble RXTX kit's
            RF/IO stage page and check out the "Progressive Schematic" hearing at the
            beginning if the testing section of that stage.

            Robby,

            I still do not see anything on that page.

            But the attachment in your previous post is the sort of thing I was thinking about.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

            On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM, R. R. (Robby) Robson rrrobson@...>wrote:

            > **
            >
            > [Attachment(s) <#13c2ba940932e32b_TopText> from R. R. (Robby) Robson

            > included below]
            >
            > Alan:
            >
            > Good idea, but it may be a little problematic given the size and scope of
            > the RXTX's schematic. I may give it a try - but no promises. One approach
            > may be to take the entire schematic and copy it once per stage, with a link
            > to the stage's version of the total schematic embedded at strategic points
            > on the page for the stage. I could then use colored masks to dim the past
            > (yellow) and future (blue) parts and leave the current stage's parts
            > undimmed. See attached example.

            --
            Cheers,
            Robby

            Richard R. (Robby) Robson
            LTC USA (RET)
          • jerryburg
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 21, 2013
              Ordered up a new Q3(2N3906). Cannot find electronic parts locally and had to cool my heels for a week waiting for it to arrive.

              Replaced Q3 and everything is working fine at this time.

              Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This is my first Softrock.

              About to start on my Delta 44 Interface Module and working toward getting on the air.

              73

              Jerry N5GKJ