Ensemble RXTX Failed Driver/PA Test

  • jerryburg
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 10, 2013
      This is my first build of a Softrock RXTX. All tests up until Driver/PA section were within parameters as outlined in building plans. Have checked and re-checked all components for correct placement. Q05,Q07,Q08 matched with 7&8 very close.

      Following test results obtained during build and completion of stage:

      Test of RFC1 was 12vdc at C23
      T3 & T4 continuity
      Current PTT not activated 38.22mA
      Current PTT activated 36.36mA
      Voltage at A and B 3.1mv
      Voltage at C and D 3.1mV
      Voltage at WRT and E 2.25vdc
      Voltage at WRT at R35 3.13vdc
      Voltage at WRT at R35 w/PPT 3.17vdc

      Any suggestions?

      Jerry N5GKJ
    • warrenallgyer
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 10, 2013
        Jerry

        It looks like you are not getting S12V. This signal is normally low and goes to 12V when PTT is activated. Back in the RF IO & Switching stage there was a test of PTT using either CFGSR or a clip lead on pin 4 of the U4. If you ground pin 4 the PTT signal should go to zero.

        From Robby's original build notes: "Enabling PTT also should pull the base of Q3 down, turning it on and generating the S12V supply to the PA on transmit.

        Bob, G8VOI, has provided a nice little trouble-shooting schematic to aid for those who may experience problems with this stage. http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/05_rf_bob_g8voi.htm"

        You are close.... you will find it!

        Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 10, 2013
          Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble RXTX Failed Driver/PA Test

          > From Robby's original build notes: "Enabling PTT also should pull the base of Q3 down, turning it on and generating the S12V
          > supply to the PA on transmit.
          >
          > Bob, G8VOI, has provided a nice little trouble-shooting schematic to aid for those who may experience problems with this stage.
          > http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/05_rf_bob_g8voi.htm"

          I find it takes so long to work out where A, B, C, is in relation to the big scheme of things!

          What is the base voltage of Q3?
          The collector is definitely wrong.
          Some have put the wrong transistor in Q3 position.
          As Warren says compare with Bob's readings.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • R. R. (Robby) Robson
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
            Alan

            See http://wb5rvz.org/ensemble_rxtx/10_pa#pastandingcurrentandforwardbias
            On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

            > Bob, G8VOI, has provided a nice little trouble-shooting schematic to aid for those who may experience problems with this stage.
            > http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/05_rf_bob_g8voi.htm"

            I find it takes so long to work out where A, B, C, is in relation to the big scheme of things!

            What is the base voltage of Q3?
            The collector is definitely wrong.
            Some have put the wrong transistor in Q3 position.
            As Warren says compare with Bob's readings.

            Cheers,
            Robby

            Richard R. (Robby) Robson
            LTC USA (RET)
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013

              >See http://wb5rvz.org/ensemble_rxtx/10_pa#pastandingcurrentandforwardbias

              Robby.

              Funny, first time I clicked on that link it took me to the Home page for the RXTX!
              Second time to the exact place.

              But when we find the place on which the query is based we still have to relate A, B... to the whole schematic.
              A bad voltage can be caused by something remote from the measuring point.

              I don't suppose there is an answer, even if the query is accompanied by a link (this very rarely happens) it can take longer to work
              out exactly where the reading is made than to work out why it might be wrong.

              Perhaps a full schematic, up to the point of build, customised for each particular page with A, B... inserted. Seems like a lot of
              work for you? But it could be educational as well if the constructor looks to see what he is actually doing in the grand scale of
              things.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
              Alan:

              Good idea, but it may be a little problematic given the size and scope of the RXTX's schematic.  I may give it a try - but no promises.  One approach may be to take the entire schematic and copy it once per stage, with a link to the stage's version of the total schematic embedded at strategic points on the page for the stage.  I could then use colored masks to dim the past (yellow) and future (blue) parts and leave the current stage's parts undimmed.  See attached example.

              Do you think that would be helpful.

              --
              Cheers,
              Robby

              Richard R. (Robby) Robson
              LTC USA (RET)
            • R. R. (Robby) Robson
              Message 7 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
                Alan:
                The image is a little better on the website (go to the Ensemble RXTX kit's RF/IO stage page and check out the "Progressive Schematic" hearing at the beginning if the testing section of that stage.

                [Attachment(s) from R. R. (Robby) Robson included below]

                Message 8 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
                  Alan,

                  Thanks for the link to the schematic.

                  Verified Q3 as 2N3906. Did various tests of voltage with following results.

                  Q3 Base RX was 3.18vdc and in TX 3.14vdc.

                  At U1, Ovdc all Pins in RX and TX mode.

                  At U4, Pins 1-3, 0vdc in RX and TX. Pin 4 2.69vdc in RX and 47mvdc in TX.

                  R50/R51 was 2.19vdc in RX and 39mvdc in TX.

                  73 Jerry N5GKJ

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R. R. (Robby) Robson" wrote:

                  > Alan
                  >
                  > See http://wb5rvz.org/ensemble_rxtx/10_pa#pastandingcurrentandforwardbias
                  > On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Alan wrote:
                  >
                  > > **

                • warrenallgyer
                  Message 9 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
                    Jerry

                    I am going to jump in here in case you are in a hurry and Alan may be busy.

                    The base voltage at Q3 is incorrect. It should be your PS voltage minus about 0.7 volts...if you are using a 12V PS then it should be 11.3.

                    I would guess Q3 is either bad or installed incorrectly.

                    You do not appear to be getting the proper S12V signal. You can look at the hairpin of R37. It should be 0V during receive and near to the PS voltage on transmit. Without S12V at 12V during transmit the rig will not go into transmit mode.

                    Message 10 of 13 , Jan 12, 2013

                      > I am going to jump in here in case you are in a hurry and Alan may be busy.
                      >
                      > The base voltage at Q3 is incorrect. It should be your PS voltage minus about 0.7 volts...if you are using a 12V PS then it should
                      > be 11.3.
                      >
                      > I would guess Q3 is either bad or installed incorrectly.

                      Yes Q3 base voltage is impossible if Q3 is good and installed properly.

                      In a hurry, been playing WSPR 50mW on 60m and USA spots.
                      But G4ZFQ 5.288634 +0 0 IO90ir +17 0.050 KB9AMG EN52tx 6287 3907

                      Really musy be impossible! But it's in the database....

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ

                      Message 11 of 13 , Jan 13, 2013

                        >The image is a little better on the website (go to the Ensemble RXTX kit's
                        RF/IO stage page and check out the "Progressive Schematic" hearing at the
                        beginning if the testing section of that stage.

                        Robby,

                        I still do not see anything on that page.

                        But the attachment in your previous post is the sort of thing I was thinking about.

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ

                        Message 12 of 13 , Jan 13, 2013
                          Alan:

                          Oops, my bad.  I tested the process on my development machine and never uploaded it to the site.  Try the Ensemble RXTX RF/IO stage again (nestled between the completed photos and the test sections.

                          Message 13 of 13 , Jan 21, 2013
                            Ordered up a new Q3(2N3906). Cannot find electronic parts locally and had to cool my heels for a week waiting for it to arrive.

                            Replaced Q3 and everything is working fine at this time.

                            Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This is my first Softrock.

                            About to start on my Delta 44 Interface Module and working toward getting on the air.

                            73

                            Jerry N5GKJ