Re: [softrock40] Re: Windows 8 (32 bit) & Windows Vista (32 bit) will not accept the USB driver i570

  • Sean Kuyper
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
      I found that I had the same problem, and I was able to test XP, Win 7,
      and Vista, both 32 and 64 bit versions.

      I found that when there was pressure applied to the board it would
      suddenly work. I figured it was a bad USB cord or plug, but as I did
      some troubleshooting I discoved a faulty solder on one of the chips
      that caused the problem. Since I am at work I cannot remeber the
      chips name (just not that smart) but it was the one on the RXTX
      Ensemble that uses a chip plug (U1?) within the USB portion of the
      board.

      The moral of the story is: Check your solders if you cannot find issue
      with the software. That was my problem, and once fixed it loaded
      right up.

      --Sean
      KC9CIA

    • pe0fko
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
        The driver was tested on Win8 (pre release) and I expect it will load on a correct working hardware.

        The only trick between win7 and win8 is that win8 will require a signed driver (.cat file) with a valid certificate. A valid certificate is one that have it ROOT certificate installed on your system. My driver is signed with the "Amateur Radio CA" at http://pe0fko.nl/ca , so it is important to install the ROOT certificate (done by a simple program) before installing the driver!

        There is also a new driver installer for the software that can be downloaded at http://pe0fko.nl/SR-V9-Si570/PE0FKO-USB-Driver-Installer.exe . It is not already on the website, please test it.
        The installer is made together with Tom Baier (DG8SAQ) that is also using it for the VNWA.
        The installer will install the certificate and then install the driver (32 & 64 bits) then the hardware can be plugged in.

        73, Fred
        PE0FKO

        On 1/10/13, KQ8M kq8m@...> wrote:
        > I am a little late in this but are you selecting auto find the drivers or
        > are you manually installing them?
        >

        > 73,
        >
        > Tim Herrick, KQ8M
        >
        > Charter Member North Coast Contesters
        >
        > kq8m@...
        >

        > AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org
        >
        > User Ports: 23, 7373 with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer
        >
        > Server Ports: V6 3607, V4 Active 3605, V4 Passive 3606

      • William
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
          Thanks for all the replies...

          Fred, I tried the new driver package and got the same results. Going to pickup a new ATtiny85-20pu tomorrow and retry, will post results.

          Will
          KB5uSW

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
            Subject: [softrock40] Re: Windows 8 (32 bit) & Windows Vista (32 bit) will not accept the USB driver i570

            > Going to pickup a new ATtiny85-20pu tomorrow and retry, will post results.

            Will,

            Do not forget it needs to be a programmed one. http://www.thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53 with
            V 15.15

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • William
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
              Thanks Alan! So picking one up from Jameco probably won't work?

              > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Windows 8 (32 bit) & Windows Vista (32 bit) will not accept the USB driver i570
              >

              > > Going to pickup a new ATtiny85-20pu tomorrow and retry, will post results.
              > >

              > Will,
              >
              > Do not forget it needs to be a programmed one. http://www.thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53 with
              > V 15.15
              >
              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

            • William
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
                Received new ATtiny85-20pu flashed with firmware V15.15 and both Windows 8 and Vista immediately recognized the device as the SoftRock, no issues.

                Thanks to everyone on here for your help and Cecilio, K5NWA, from www.thepartsplace.k5nwa.com was first class, highly recommend.

                73,
                Will
                KB5USW