Windows 8 (32 bit) & Windows Vista (32 bit) will not accept the USB driver i570

  • William
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 9, 2013
      Let me start upfront by thanking everyone on in the group for their help and the tremendous amount of info on the threads.

      Issue: Can not get either of my computers to allow the install of the pe0fko.inf driver that comes in the .zip file.

      Actions Taken:
      1. Download the .zip file and extracted the files to a folder on the desktop
      2. Installed the root certificate ensuring that it went to the Trusted Root Authorities Certification folder
      3. In Windows 8 right clicked on the pe0fko.inf and clicked on install and it says it successfully installed...in Vista get an Install Error: "The method of install you have chosen does not support this method of installation."
      4. Go to device manager and right click on the Unknown Device>Update Driver> Browse My Computer > Let me pick from a list > Have Disk > Browse to the pe0fko.inf and get "The folder you specified does not contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure that it is designed to work with Windows 32 systems."

      I have also tried the "bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" option and it still results in the same messages.

      I do not have a Mac or a Windows XP computer...can anyone help me out here?
      73
      Will
      KB5USW
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 9, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] Windows 8 (32 bit) & Windows Vista (32 bit) will not accept the USB driver i570

        > Issue: Can not get either of my computers to allow the install of the pe0fko.inf driver that comes in the .zip file.
        >
        > Actions Taken:
        > 1. Download the .zip file and extracted the files to a folder on the desktop
        > 2. Installed the root certificate ensuring that it went to the Trusted Root Authorities Certification folder
        > 3. In Windows 8 right clicked on the pe0fko.inf and clicked on install and it says it successfully installed...in Vista get an
        > Install Error: "The method of install you have chosen does not support this method of installation."
        > 4.

        Will,

        A few days ago I posted this "Have you looked here? https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/attiny_usb Most faults and cures or
        workrounds, although my knowledge
        of Vista and W8 is nil.
        If you have then what have I missed?"

        I presume it did not help?

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • William
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 9, 2013
          Alan,
          Thanks for the link, I have gone through all the processes on your page and none were successful. I keep getting Unknown Device when Windows recognizes that I plugged it in and when I go to update the driver I keep getting the message about not finding a Windows 32 compatible driver. I wonder if the code in his driver doesn't support Windows 8/Vista?

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013

            > Alan,
            > Thanks for the link, I have gone through all the processes on your page and none were successful. I keep getting Unknown Device
            > when Windows recognizes that I plugged it in and when I go to update the driver I keep getting the message about not finding a
            > Windows 32 compatible driver. I wonder if the code in his driver doesn't support Windows 8/Vista?

            Will,

            I do not know about W8 but I do not think anyone else has reported failure. Vista has been going a long while.

            Windows is not recognising the USB device. Unknown Device is it's way of hiding things until an expert comes along.

            So, is the Softrock USB actually working?
            You do not have any other USB devices plugged in?

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

            >> Will,
            >>
            >> A few days ago I posted this "Have you looked here? https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/attiny_usb Most faults and cures or
            >> workrounds, although my knowledge
            >> of Vista and W8 is nil.
          • William
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
              Nothing else is plugged into any USB ports. I'm getting Unknown Device (Port Reset Failed) Code 43, (see
              http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725873(WS.10).aspx)

              I'm currently working on W8 but didn't have any luck on Vista either.

              > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Windows 8 (32 bit) & Windows Vista (32 bit) will not accept the USB driver i570
              >

              > > Alan,
              > > Thanks for the link, I have gone through all the processes on your page and none were successful. I keep getting Unknown Device
              > > when Windows recognizes that I plugged it in and when I go to update the driver I keep getting the message about not finding a
              > > Windows 32 compatible driver. I wonder if the code in his driver doesn't support Windows 8/Vista?
              >
              > Will,
              >
              > I do not know about W8 but I do not think anyone else has reported failure. Vista has been going a long while.
              >
              > Windows is not recognising the USB device. Unknown Device is it's way of hiding things until an expert comes along.
              >
              > So, is the Softrock USB actually working?
              > You do not have any other USB devices plugged in?
              >
              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
              >

              > >> Will,
              > >>
              > >> A few days ago I posted this "Have you looked here? https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/attiny_usb Most faults and cures or
              > >> workrounds, although my knowledge
              > >> of Vista and W8 is nil.

            • William
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
                Is there any possibility that there is something wrong with the board? Would it still register as an unknown device?

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013

                  > Is there any possibility that there is something wrong with the board? Would it still register as an unknown device?

                  Yes, If Windows sees any activity on the USB line it assumes something is plugged in.
                  If it does not receive any data that identifies that device then it installs it as unknown.
                  Widows 7, and probably 8, expects a different installation procedure and very quickly installs it as an Unknown Device but if it has
                  read the identification then updating the driver will work.

                  But until the updated driver installation is incorporated the best way is to try an XP system. You may just plug it in, if it is
                  working the DG8SAQ identification will be shown. Just unplug.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • sv1eia
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
                    Hi,

                    It looks to me that you might have a board or USB cable issue.

                    You can give a try though to the signed driver included in here

                    -> http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/detail?name=PowerSDRv2.4.4_for_Homemade_Rigs.zip

                    in this archive, there is an executable file named
                    "USBtoI2C_InstallDriver.exe"
                    which is a all platforms signed driver of the ATTiny USB chips used.
                    It does not need any O.S. tweak since it is compliant with driver installation security that the new windows have.

                    73,
                    Christos SV1EIA

                    > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Windows 8 (32 bit) & Windows Vista (32 bit) will not accept the USB driver i570
                    >

                    > > Is there any possibility that there is something wrong with the board? Would it still register as an unknown device?
                    > >

                    > Yes, If Windows sees any activity on the USB line it assumes something is plugged in.
                    > If it does not receive any data that identifies that device then it installs it as unknown.
                    > Widows 7, and probably 8, expects a different installation procedure and very quickly installs it as an Unknown Device but if it has
                    > read the identification then updating the driver will work.
                    >
                    > But until the updated driver installation is incorporated the best way is to try an XP system. You may just plug it in, if it is
                    > working the DG8SAQ identification will be shown. Just unplug.
                    >
                    > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                  • KQ8M
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013

                      I am a little late in this but are you selecting auto find the drivers or are you manually installing them?

                      73,

                      Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                      Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                      kq8m@...

                      AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                      Is there any possibility that there is something wrong with the board? Would it still register as an unknown device?

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:

                      > Nothing else is plugged into any USB ports. I'm getting Unknown Device (Port Reset Failed) Code 43, (see
                      > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725873(WS.10).aspx)
                      >
                      > I'm currently working on W8 but didn't have any luck on Vista either.

                    • Sean Kuyper
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
                        I found that I had the same problem, and I was able to test XP, Win 7,
                        and Vista, both 32 and 64 bit versions.

                        I found that when there was pressure applied to the board it would
                        suddenly work. I figured it was a bad USB cord or plug, but as I did
                        some troubleshooting I discoved a faulty solder on one of the chips
                        that caused the problem. Since I am at work I cannot remeber the
                        chips name (just not that smart) but it was the one on the RXTX
                        Ensemble that uses a chip plug (U1?) within the USB portion of the
                        board.

                        The moral of the story is: Check your solders if you cannot find issue
                        with the software. That was my problem, and once fixed it loaded
                        right up.

                        --Sean
                        KC9CIA

                      • pe0fko
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
                          The driver was tested on Win8 (pre release) and I expect it will load on a correct working hardware.

                          The only trick between win7 and win8 is that win8 will require a signed driver (.cat file) with a valid certificate. A valid certificate is one that have it ROOT certificate installed on your system. My driver is signed with the "Amateur Radio CA" at http://pe0fko.nl/ca , so it is important to install the ROOT certificate (done by a simple program) before installing the driver!

                          There is also a new driver installer for the software that can be downloaded at http://pe0fko.nl/SR-V9-Si570/PE0FKO-USB-Driver-Installer.exe . It is not already on the website, please test it.
                          The installer is made together with Tom Baier (DG8SAQ) that is also using it for the VNWA.
                          The installer will install the certificate and then install the driver (32 & 64 bits) then the hardware can be plugged in.

                          73, Fred
                          PE0FKO

                          On 1/10/13, KQ8M kq8m@...> wrote:
                          > I am a little late in this but are you selecting auto find the drivers or
                          > are you manually installing them?
                          >

                          > 73,
                          >
                          > Tim Herrick, KQ8M
                          >
                          > Charter Member North Coast Contesters
                          >
                          > kq8m@...
                          >

                          > AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org
                          >
                          > User Ports: 23, 7373 with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer
                          >
                          > Server Ports: V6 3607, V4 Active 3605, V4 Passive 3606

                        • William
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
                            Thanks for all the replies...

                            Fred, I tried the new driver package and got the same results. Going to pickup a new ATtiny85-20pu tomorrow and retry, will post results.

                            Will
                            KB5uSW

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013

                              > Going to pickup a new ATtiny85-20pu tomorrow and retry, will post results.

                              Will,

                              Do not forget it needs to be a programmed one. http://www.thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53 with
                              V 15.15

                              73 Alan G4ZFQ
                            • William
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
                                Thanks Alan! So picking one up from Jameco probably won't work?

                                > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Windows 8 (32 bit) & Windows Vista (32 bit) will not accept the USB driver i570
                                >

                                > > Going to pickup a new ATtiny85-20pu tomorrow and retry, will post results.
                                > >

                                > Will,
                                >
                                > Do not forget it needs to be a programmed one. http://www.thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53 with
                                > V 15.15
                                >
                                > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                              • William
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 14, 2013
                                  Received new ATtiny85-20pu flashed with firmware V15.15 and both Windows 8 and Vista immediately recognized the device as the SoftRock, no issues.

                                  Thanks to everyone on here for your help and Cecilio, K5NWA, from www.thepartsplace.k5nwa.com was first class, highly recommend.

                                  73,
                                  Will
                                  KB5USW