Will not TX Ensemble 40/30/20

  • kd4pqf
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
      got my new usb sound card hooked up i have audio to card on TX.
      Trying to use Digital master for PSK

      but no TX. what do i need to check?

      I am having no luck
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] Will not TX Ensemble 40/30/20

        > got my new usb sound card hooked up i have audio to card on TX.
        > Trying to use Digital master for PSK
        >
        > but no TX. what do i need to check?

        Is this part of HRD?
        What setup are you using?
        PSDR CAT controlled?

        I think we need more information.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • kd4pqf
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
          yes the digital part of HRD.. I have tried rocky, HDSDR, WSPR.. with no luck. I have audio going into the card.. This is a card that was was built tested by fivedash and sent to me. do to having some I Problems I have tried serial ,and Vox... I was under the impression when the card saw the audio it automatically key... but no luck so far. any help greatly appreciated. also with CFGS under the test tab the PTT light will turn green but the radio will not key

          > Subject: [softrock40] Will not TX Ensemble 40/30/20
          >

          > > got my new usb sound card hooked up i have audio to card on TX.
          > > Trying to use Digital master for PSK
          > >
          > > but no TX. what do i need to check?
          > >

          > Is this part of HRD?
          > What setup are you using?
          > PSDR CAT controlled?
          >
          > I think we need more information.
          >
          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • Brent G DeWitt
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013

            I apologize if this has already been covered, but have you tried plugging in a set of headphones into the soundcard output to the radio?  If tuned to something close to the LO frequency (within a kHz or so)  you should hear something.

            Brent DeWitt, AB1LF

            Milford, MA

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
              yes i have TX audio coming out of the sound card going into the Softrock. you can hear it on a speaker when pluged in to the card.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 7, 2013
                Subject: [softrock40] Re: Will not TX Ensemble 40/30/20

                > yes i have TX audio coming out of the sound card going into the Softrock. you can hear it on a speaker when pluged in to the
                > card.

                Let us know your exact setup.
                You cannot just run HRD and DM. The audio output is just baseband mono, there is no PTT interface.
                You need to use something like PSDR, or maybe HDSDR to interface HRD with a Softrock using CAT.
                Is that what you are doing?

                73 Alan G4ZFQ
              • kd4pqf
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
                  I am running HDSDR to control freq.then threw Virtual audio cable I am going to input of DM.. the out put of DM goes threw a USB modem and is feed to the line out of the ensemble.... do i need to setup.
                  What am I missing?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013

                    > I am running HDSDR to control freq.then threw Virtual audio cable I am going to input of DM.. the out put of DM goes threw a USB
                    > modem and is feed to the line out of the ensemble.... do i need to setup.
                    > What am I missing?

                    Well, part way there.
                    I've never used DM so I'm a bit in the dark.

                    The output of DM has to go to the HDSDR via VAC. Then Line out to "Line out"

                    How do you get HDSDR to TX?
                    Does the Ensemble go to TX? Difficult to be sure, I always fit a LED like here https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/add_lpf

                    Are you using HRD? I can't help thinking this is the only way to get HDSDR to automatically go to TX with DM.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • kd4pqf
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
                      OK thanks ill make me another VAC and see what happens

                      > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Will not TX Ensemble 40/30/20
                      >

                      > > I am running HDSDR to control freq.then threw Virtual audio cable I am going to input of DM.. the out put of DM goes threw a USB
                      > > modem and is feed to the line out of the ensemble.... do i need to setup.
                      > > What am I missing?
                      >
                      > Well, part way there.
                      > I've never used DM so I'm a bit in the dark.
                      >
                      > The output of DM has to go to the HDSDR via VAC. Then Line out to "Line out"
                      >
                      > How do you get HDSDR to TX?
                      > Does the Ensemble go to TX? Difficult to be sure, I always fit a LED like here https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/add_lpf
                      >
                      > Are you using HRD? I can't help thinking this is the only way to get HDSDR to automatically go to TX with DM.
                      >
                      > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                    • John Greusel
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
                        Might be worthwhile to leave HRD on the side and see if you can sort out what most everyone else is doing with software and then revisit it when you have the other elements working separately.

                        John
                        KC9OJV

                        OK thanks ill make me another VAC and see what happens

                        > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Will not TX Ensemble 40/30/20
                        >

                        > > I am running HDSDR to control freq.then threw Virtual audio cable I am going to input of DM.. the out put of DM goes threw a USB
                        > > modem and is feed to the line out of the ensemble.... do i need to setup.
                        > > What am I missing?
                        >
                        > Well, part way there.
                        > I've never used DM so I'm a bit in the dark.
                        >
                        > The output of DM has to go to the HDSDR via VAC. Then Line out to "Line out"
                        >
                        > How do you get HDSDR to TX?
                        > Does the Ensemble go to TX? Difficult to be sure, I always fit a LED like here https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/add_lpf
                        >
                        > Are you using HRD? I can't help thinking this is the only way to get HDSDR to automatically go to TX with DM.
                        >
                        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                      • Michael Walker
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
                          Simply put:

                          You need an SDR App (Like PowerSDR) to talk to the hardware.  Get that working first.

                          Now, you can have HRD with DM780 or any other app talking to PowerSDR for Rigcontrol (PTT, etc) and DM780 listening and talking on VAC.

                          I have yet to play with my Ensemble as I am just building it, but I do run a Flex5000 and I have also added VSP Manager to manage com ports.

                          Confused yet?  :)  Baby steps first.

                          Mike va3mw

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 9, 2013

                            > I am running HDSDR to control freq.then threw Virtual audio cable I am going to input of DM.. the out put of DM goes threw a USB
                            > modem and is feed to the line out of the ensemble.... do i need to setup.
                            > What am I missing?

                            I was forgetting, you may use a COM port to set HDSDR to TX. This may be a virtual port linking to the other program.
                            I have added this to my HDSDR page.
                            The clue is seen if you look through "Options" in HDSDR. Most things I have forgotten about HDSDR I originally found myself either
                            by reading or experimenting.

                            73 Alan G4ZFQ
                          • Bruce Miller
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 9, 2013

                              I sent it back this morning.  Iam going to have them check it out.