Re: [softrock40] Periodic popping - Ensemble RXTX

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2013
      Subject: [softrock40] Periodic popping - Ensemble RXTX

      > I have noticed across three software packages (PSDR, HDSDR, and Rocky) that I have a mild periodic pop slightly less than ever 2
      > seconds. I went to battery and shot off all lights in the room to make certain that the ambient background and the power were not
      > likely to be the culprit.

      Vaughn,

      Is this coming in the antenna? Or does it still do it even with no power to the Softrock?

      > Another unrelated query... I dont seem to be able to get CW to work with HDSDR and the Ensemble RXTX.

      HDSDR has only the return key to produce CW. Until it is developed PSDR and Rocky are the ones to use.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • N2BHA
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2013
        Hi Alan,

        I have connected one of my other SDRs (Genesis G59 in this case) and there is no popping. I am also convinced that it may not be the software either. I used the same GSDR instance with the Ensemble and not the popping it is very cyclic. Pops approximately every 2 seconds.

        Take Care and Many Thanks,
        Vaughn N2BHA

        > Subject: [softrock40] Periodic popping - Ensemble RXTX
        >

        > > I have noticed across three software packages (PSDR, HDSDR, and Rocky) that I have a mild periodic pop slightly less than ever 2
        > > seconds. I went to battery and shot off all lights in the room to make certain that the ambient background and the power were not
        > > likely to be the culprit.
        >
        > Vaughn,
        >
        > Is this coming in the antenna? Or does it still do it even with no power to the Softrock?
        >

        > > Another unrelated query... I dont seem to be able to get CW to work with HDSDR and the Ensemble RXTX.
        >
        > HDSDR has only the return key to produce CW. Until it is developed PSDR and Rocky are the ones to use.
        >
        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

      • bxyza
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2013
          Vaughn,

          See if using a different sound card makes the pop go away. I spent a lot of time trouble shooting a similar sounding problem and the root cause was the internal sound card of my laptop PC. I used an external USB sound card and the noise went away.
          73
          KD8IGK
          Bill

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" wrote:

          > I think that this one has cropped up over the past week. That is to say that it was not there less than a week before. I have noticed across three software packages (PSDR, HDSDR, and Rocky) that I have a mild periodic pop slightly less than ever 2 seconds. I went to battery and shot off all lights in the room to make certain that the ambient background and the power were not likely to be the culprit. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this one and could set my feet on the path.
          >
          > Another unrelated query... I dont seem to be able to get CW to work with HDSDR and the Ensemble RXTX. Clues?
          >
          > Many Thanks es 73,
          > Vaughn N2BHA

        • N2BHA
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
            Many thanks Bill! I am pretty certain that this is not the culprit.
            The internal card is an Essence STX and the external is the EMU0202.
            Both are pretty nice sound cards and have performed well for other
            SDRs that I have built. I am curious that it may be an Essence RXTX hardware issue given that this is a new occurrence post completion. Also, I have tested with my G59 with identical sound cards and software and do not notice popping.

            Thanks again for your help Bill!

            Take Care and 73,
            Vaughn N2BHA