Re: [softrock40] Prefered choice of SDR software for the RXTX Ensemble ?

  • Chris Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013

      > I am new to this group and I am about 30% complete with my rxtx
      > ensemble kit from fivedash.com and its time to install the sdr software.
      > I find that there are two choices Power SDR - IQ v1.12.20 for xp
      > and V1.19.3.15 for win 7 and HDSDR. Is one prefered over the other?

      > Thanks,

      > Joe K3JV

      05/01/2013 20:58

      If it were not for HDSDR I may well have given up getting my first
      Softrock up and running. Rocky was the commonest software at the time,
      but on my XP system I found it very unpredictable and not at all
      intuitive to use. I then tried SDR Radio or whatever it's called. I
      have forebodings about software that's vast in size, and it was
      confirmed when it seemed to have a mind of its own, and have a menu
      structure that was about as random as my wife's mood swings. I then
      found HDSDR and it just "works". Like all this SDR stuff some settings
      take a bit of fathoming out, but the only issue I had was with some
      file access settings on my PC not allowing the Frequency Manager to
      store settings. Mario (Mr. HDSDR) was e-mailed and not only did I get
      some immediate responses and suggestions, he asked if he might log on
      to my PC via a remote access package and have a hands on session to
      see what was happening. Ten minutes after logging on he had altered
      some file permissions and it was working fine. It was not an HDSDR
      issue, but me messing to try and stop another directory being able to
      be inadvertently altered, and doing something daft. A charming man,
      immensely approachable and helpful. I would try HDSR first, although
      Rocky, if it works on your OS version, is a lot simpler. For me it was
      just totally unreliable. Good luck, the initial learning curve's quite
      steep, the view from the upper levels is well worth the climb. What
      the view is like from the top level of SDR I don't know, but intend to
      find out when funds permit. I can't go back to a receiver with no
      panadptor now, it is like going back to dwell as a troglodyte. 73 Joe!

      --
      Best Regards,
      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2013
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jvilardo2000" wrote:

        > I am new to this group and I am about 30% complete with my rxtx ensemble kit from fivedash.com and its time to install the sdr software.
        > I find that there are two choices Power SDR - IQ v1.12.20 for xp and V1.19.3.15 for win 7 and HDSDR. Is one prefered over the other?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Joe K3JV

        Joe,

        You may also enjoy digital RX/TX with WSPR-IQ.

        John
        TI4/N0URE