Prefered choice of SDR software for the RXTX Ensemble ?

  • jvilardo2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
      I am new to this group and I am about 30% complete with my rxtx ensemble kit from fivedash.com and its time to install the sdr software.
      I find that there are two choices Power SDR - IQ v1.12.20 for xp and V1.19.3.15 for win 7 and HDSDR. Is one prefered over the other?

      Thanks,

      Joe K3JV
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] Prefered choice of SDR software for the RXTX Ensemble ?

        >I am new to this group and I am about 30% complete with my rxtx ensemble kit from fivedash.com and its time to install the sdr
        >software.
        > I find that there are two choices Power SDR - IQ v1.12.20 for xp and V1.19.3.15 for win 7 and HDSDR. Is one prefered over the
        > other?

        Joe,

        PSDR is more complex. There is a later version. HDSDR is easier but not so versatile but I'd say start with that
        https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/installing-and-using-hdsdr it will make testing that bit easier.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Chris Wilson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013

          > I am new to this group and I am about 30% complete with my rxtx
          > ensemble kit from fivedash.com and its time to install the sdr software.
          > I find that there are two choices Power SDR - IQ v1.12.20 for xp
          > and V1.19.3.15 for win 7 and HDSDR. Is one prefered over the other?

          > Thanks,

          > Joe K3JV

          05/01/2013 20:58

          If it were not for HDSDR I may well have given up getting my first
          Softrock up and running. Rocky was the commonest software at the time,
          but on my XP system I found it very unpredictable and not at all
          intuitive to use. I then tried SDR Radio or whatever it's called. I
          have forebodings about software that's vast in size, and it was
          confirmed when it seemed to have a mind of its own, and have a menu
          structure that was about as random as my wife's mood swings. I then
          found HDSDR and it just "works". Like all this SDR stuff some settings
          take a bit of fathoming out, but the only issue I had was with some
          file access settings on my PC not allowing the Frequency Manager to
          store settings. Mario (Mr. HDSDR) was e-mailed and not only did I get
          some immediate responses and suggestions, he asked if he might log on
          to my PC via a remote access package and have a hands on session to
          see what was happening. Ten minutes after logging on he had altered
          some file permissions and it was working fine. It was not an HDSDR
          issue, but me messing to try and stop another directory being able to
          be inadvertently altered, and doing something daft. A charming man,
          immensely approachable and helpful. I would try HDSR first, although
          Rocky, if it works on your OS version, is a lot simpler. For me it was
          just totally unreliable. Good luck, the initial learning curve's quite
          steep, the view from the upper levels is well worth the climb. What
          the view is like from the top level of SDR I don't know, but intend to
          find out when funds permit. I can't go back to a receiver with no
          panadptor now, it is like going back to dwell as a troglodyte. 73 Joe!

          --
          Best Regards,
          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2013
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jvilardo2000" wrote:

            > I am new to this group and I am about 30% complete with my rxtx ensemble kit from fivedash.com and its time to install the sdr software.
            > I find that there are two choices Power SDR - IQ v1.12.20 for xp and V1.19.3.15 for win 7 and HDSDR. Is one prefered over the other?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Joe K3JV

            Joe,

            You may also enjoy digital RX/TX with WSPR-IQ.

            John
            TI4/N0URE