Transmitting with HDSDR and RXTX 6.2

  • s_t_marsh
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2013
      Hi,

      I've just got my ancient RXTX 6.2 working great on receive and using si570 kit for local oscillator tuning. Just about to try transmitting but wonder if I need to adjust output signals for minimum image rejection? I see documentation for doing this in Rocky (which I can't get working on Win7!) but not for HDSDR.

      Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

      Stuart
    • warrenallgyer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2013
        Hi Stuart

        Yes you do need to adjust the IQ gain and phase balance for HDSDR. Having just tilted at this windmill here are some things I learned.

        1) You need a separate receiver to tune the image frequency.
        2) You have to actually put the HDSDR into transmit mode before you will see the option to adjust Transmit IQ Balance appear on the menu.
        3) I would set it to FM or AM mode where there will be a carrier transmitted. If you use CW then you also have to hold down the RETURN key to get a transmitted carrier.
        4) So far as I know the only way to "key" HDSDR on CW remains the RETURN key on your PC. Not very convenient and results in a very bad fist on my part.
        5) You can make some magnificent sounding AM and SSB by using a simple USB headset for audio in and out.

        It works...... but it still needs some digital modes and external CW keying to make it very useful on transmit in my opinion.

        Warren Allgyer - W8TOD