Greetings, all

  • Trapper John
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2013
      By way of introduction,I am a newbie interested in returning to amatuer radio after more than 50 years. That's right - I held my novice ticket when I was 14 years old (KN1FIZ)and now I amlooking for a reentry, so to speak.

      I am thinking of building an RX II reciever to get my brain reingaged and to help me define what my interests in this modern era of telecommunications might include. Based upon the experiences of youth, DX is definitely in the equation, and QRP mobile intrigues me.

      At any rate, I am pleased to join this group and am busily working at coming up the learning curve, getting my new ticket(s), and rejoining the fold. Hope to make new friends and will hopefuly find an Elmer who has done the RX II or similar trip for occasional advice.

      Thanks, all!

      Trapper John
    • Rick Simpson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2013
        John

        Welcome back! I, too, took a fifty-year break from ham radio and just returned last year. Look carefully at the FCC regulations. You may be able to get back your old license without taking a test, though I would advise reading a test-prep book just to learn how things have changed. I took my Tech and General license on the same day and then found I could have skipped them!  If you are interested in QRP and DX I would advise you to crank up those antique CW skills. Then there are dozens of QRP/CW transciever kits you can choose from. Buy a SoftRock 4.0 kit just to learn how to solder these newfangled SMT components and wind coils on toroids. A great bargain for $20!!!

        73

        K3IND
        (got my original call back as a vanity call!)

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2013
          I second Rick's opinion.
          I was WN0ZHM in 1970 and left Ham Radio only to return a few years ago.
          I went through the licensing steps very quickly- maybe like riding a bike?
          I'm having a blast with Softrocks and QRP. Someone remarked on this list that they don't use the Kenwood much because the Softrock performance is comparable and I would agree. Depending on what you've done for the last 50 years you may be able to jump right into the Ensemble II. Or you could buy both and knock out the small one for a confidence builder and them tackle the Ensemble II. Be prepared for software config being more problematic than the actual building.

          John
          KC9OJV