Re: Si570

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 4, 2013
      Yes it survived (and I feel better too).

      Pulled the si570 with solder wick, two irons and patience.   Used a hot air rework station to get it to settle onto the pads after reorienting the part, touched up with an iron.  All under an 8x stereo scope.

      You really don't want to go through this...

      And I thought winding the toroids was my least favorite part of the rx ensemble I I.

      Mark. N2QT

      On Jan 4, 2013, at 7:45 PM, W9AMR@... wrote:

      I would not be surprised. The regulator probably shut down before it was hurt. You can resolder it on using jumpers to make things easier. A heat gun works great getting them off the board. use aluminum furnace tape to cover the rest of the board.

      Another trick if you are careful is to turn the board on it's side and turn up the heat on your gun and lightly run the iron back and forth using care to not cut foils with the tip. Put the iron on the bottom foils so the heat travels up. The base of the Si570 is ceramic and conducts heat well. It will slide up and you can flip it off. the chip will take a lot of heat. do at your own risk.

      I have a thermal tweeze station and can grab the chip and lift it off.

      Larry