Re: [softrock40] Softrock Lite II T1 Transformer Winding

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Softrock Lite II T1 Transformer Winding

      >I am afraid I do not see the issue here.

      Wind the coils as instructed and install the leads as per the holes in the
      PCB silkscreen:

      - left side of transformer: P, S1, S2
      - right side of transformer: P, S1, S2

      The numbers in the accompanying graphic correspond to and are faithful with
      the numbers on the schematic.

      Robby,

      I think the issue is that the start of the winding is not indicated on the schematic.
      The top of one secondary is the start, the top of the other is the finish. (Unless I'm not looking straight).
      The earlier schematics were drawn with the start of both at the top.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • R. R. (Robby) Robson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
        The schematic for the SR Lite II has always been the same as the schematic currently on my website.

        I was not aware one could imply/decipher the winding sequences and start/stop points from the schematic.

        I am pretty much at the mercy of Tony and his designs; the schematic I get is the schematic I publish.

        The guidance I received from Tony was to wind the unifilar and the bifilar strands both in the same direction.  Then install the leads from one side of the coil to the holes on one side of the board, install the remaining leads on the other side, taking care to remember which winding is which.

        What am I missing here?

        On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

        >I am afraid I do not see the issue here.

        Wind the coils as instructed and install the leads as per the holes in the
        PCB silkscreen:

        - left side of transformer: P, S1, S2
        - right side of transformer: P, S1, S2

        The numbers in the accompanying graphic correspond to and are faithful with
        the numbers on the schematic.

        Robby,

        I think the issue is that the start of the winding is not indicated on the schematic.
        The top of one secondary is the start, the top of the other is the finish. (Unless I'm not looking straight).
        The earlier schematics were drawn with the start of both at the top.

        Cheers,
        Robby

        Richard R. (Robby) Robson
        LTC USA (RET)
      • Martyn Cole
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
          I thought that the dots on the transformer schematics signifies the
          start of the windings.

          Martyn.
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
          Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
            The dumb ones like me ask questions, too.  Alan:  where did you get the "Original" schematic?  I have looked through all the schematics I have in my (not terribly well organized) pc libraries and find none with the phasing dots dispayed.  Please send me a copy of the entire schematic if you can

            [Attachment(s) from Alan included below]

            Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
              Alan:

              Belay the sending of the original schematic.

              I have found the original, although it was for the Ensemble RXTX and not for the SR Lite.  Best I can tell, the RXTX schematic was the only one of the Softrock schematics that has phasing dots displayed.

              --
              Cheers,
              Robby

              Richard R. (Robby) Robson
              LTC USA (RET)
              Message 7 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013

                >The dumb ones like me ask questions, too. Alan: where did you get the
                "Original" schematic? I have looked through all the schematics I have in
                my (not terribly well organized) pc libraries and find none with the
                phasing dots dispayed. Please send me a copy of the entire schematic if
                you can

                Robby,

                After a lot of searching I often find the answer on my web site....

                You might want to look at yours:-) http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/ on all the transformers.

                Message 8 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013

                  > Best I can tell, the RXTX schematic was the only one of the Softrock
                  schematics that has phasing dots displayed.

                  Robby,

                  They do appear in at least several models although the mixer ones are missed in others. It seems mainly in the ones drawn with the
                  starts at opposite ends like the one Kevin commented on.
                  In most cases I have just looked at the main schematics.