Re: [softrock40] Best Sound card cables?

  • Gordon JC Pearce
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2013
      On 01/01/13 15:17, Brad Thompson wrote:

      > If you can locate any surplus Teflon-insulated shielded cable
      > with AWG#22 or AWG#20 center conductors, it's very nice
      > to assemble as its insulation won't turn to mush when you solder
      > theconductors to a connector. OTOH, it's relatively inflexible
      > but that shouldn't pose problems in most cases.

      All you're dealing with is audio. As long as you're not hooking it up
      with bell wire, fence wire or old guitar strings, anything will work.

      Audio cables do not make a difference.

      --
      Gordonjcp MM0YEQ
    • Brad Thompson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2013
        On 1/1/2013 10:34 AM, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
        > On 01/01/13 15:17, Brad Thompson wrote:
        >
        > > If you can locate any surplus Teflon-insulated shielded cable
        > > with AWG#22 or AWG#20 center conductors, it's very nice
        > > to assemble as its insulation won't turn to mush when you solder
        > > theconductors to a connector. OTOH, it's relatively inflexible
        > > but that shouldn't pose problems in most cases.
        >
        > All you're dealing with is audio. As long as you're not hooking it up
        > with bell wire, fence wire or old guitar strings, anything will work.
        >
        > Audio cables do not make a difference.
        >
        >Hello, Gordon and the group--

        Thank you for your comments, but in the context of the
        original posting, absence of shielding in the cables
        was causing noise pickup. Unshielded cables may work
        fine for high-level signals, though.

        73--

        Brad AA1IP
      • John
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2013
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Brad Thompson <brad.thompson@...> wrote:

          > On 1/1/2013 10:34 AM, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
          > > On 01/01/13 15:17, Brad Thompson wrote:
          > >
          > > > If you can locate any surplus Teflon-insulated shielded cable
          > > > with AWG#22 or AWG#20 center conductors, it's very nice
          > > > to assemble as its insulation won't turn to mush when you solder
          > > > theconductors to a connector. OTOH, it's relatively inflexible
          > > > but that shouldn't pose problems in most cases.
          > >
          > > All you're dealing with is audio. As long as you're not hooking it up
          > > with bell wire, fence wire or old guitar strings, anything will work.
          > >
          > > Audio cables do not make a difference.
          > >
          > >Hello, Gordon and the group--
          >
          > Thank you for your comments, but in the context of the
          > original posting, absence of shielding in the cables
          > was causing noise pickup. Unshielded cables may work
          > fine for high-level signals, though.
          >
          > 73--
          >
          > Brad AA1IP

          Yes, my problems are all of the PC noise getting into the audio signals. USB, LCD, Laptop PS, etc.

          John

        • Gordon JC Pearce
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2013
            On 01/01/13 16:12, Brad Thompson wrote:

            > Thank you for your comments, but in the context of the
            > original posting, absence of shielding in the cables
            > was causing noise pickup. Unshielded cables may work
            > fine for high-level signals, though.

            If it's not screened, it's not an audio cable.

            Don't buy into all that audiophool "cable quality" shit, though. Just
            get perfectly ordinary audio cable, and it'll be fine.

            --
            Gordonjcp MM0YEQ
          • Jose Bonanca
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2013
              On 2 January 2013 15:10, John <n0ure@...> wrote:

              "Yes, my problems are all of the PC noise getting into the audio signals. USB, LCD, Laptop PS, etc."

              If you have a good assembly any pair of cables from china will do nicely... Now if you are using cable without shiel then you may be right. But I repeat any cable from china will do. even those....

              regards

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Brad Thompson <brad.thompson@...> wrote:

              > On 1/1/2013 10:34 AM, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
              > > On 01/01/13 15:17, Brad Thompson wrote:
              > >
              > > > If you can locate any surplus Teflon-insulated shielded cable
              > > > with AWG#22 or AWG#20 center conductors, it's very nice
              > > > to assemble as its insulation won't turn to mush when you solder
              > > > theconductors to a connector. OTOH, it's relatively inflexible
              > > > but that shouldn't pose problems in most cases.
              > >
              > > All you're dealing with is audio. As long as you're not hooking it up
              > > with bell wire, fence wire or old guitar strings, anything will work.
              > >
              > > Audio cables do not make a difference.
              > >
              > >Hello, Gordon and the group--
              >
              > Thank you for your comments, but in the context of the
              > original posting, absence of shielding in the cables
              > was causing noise pickup. Unshielded cables may work
              > fine for high-level signals, though.
              >
              > 73--
              >
              > Brad AA1IP

              Yes, my problems are all of the PC noise getting into the audio signals. USB, LCD, Laptop PS, etc.

              John

              --
              Jose (Ct1aos)