Been away, but I'm back, at least, for the winter

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
      Hy gang,
      Last Feb I bought an underground house in Foxboro, MA and I've been busy with projects that involve larger things than SDR like lawn tractors, log splitters, painting, gardening and of course rehanging my antennas. However, winter has come and it's too cold outside to be either in the yard or the garage and I just brought my SDR project into the house where it's warm and spent the last few days restoring the state of things to where I left off last year.

      So, I have my Softrock Ensemble 20/30/40 up and running on Rocky 3.7 and Power SDR 1.12.20. Rocky works well for receive and I'm measuring 1.6W out CW using Rocky on my HP438 power meter. So, I guess I've gotten past my startup glitches. Using PowerSDR I can transmit voice into a dummy load and receive it on my TS2000 with a nearby G5RV Senior antenna.

      Howerver, I still can't work voice TX and Receive on the same application. I'm using the SoundBlaster USB X-Fi and it doesn't seem to be compatible with PowerSDR for receive and Rocky doesn't do Tx voice.

      Last year where I left off I was trying to integrate the Delta 44 on a desktop windows XP machine and was making headway but that computer died recently and I'm back to struggling with the laptop.

      Bottom Line:
      Has there been any progress making the Ensemble work for both Tx voice and Receive voice on a laptop? If so, what configuration do I need to pursue?

      Thank you,
      Chuck Lippmeier
      KB1HTO
    • John Greusel
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
        Chuck,

        You're in good shape.
        Download the Christos modified version of PSDR 2.4.4 and follow his instructions for softrock setup.
        You'll need to use the soundblaster USB for IQ in and out (main audio setup) and the VAC setup as audio voice and sound with your internal soundcard. It will work fine. Ask some questions and you'll be humming along nicely. In this new version Christos took a new route and modified the SR1000 configuration to suit a Softrock- it works great and you're on the latest and greatest PSDR.

        John
        KC9OJV

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013

          > Has there been any progress making the Ensemble work for both Tx voice and Receive voice on a laptop? If so, what configuration do
          > I need to pursue?

          Chuck,

          Nothing has changed the progress is up to you!
          Two sound systems are needed.
          A recent thread discussed the use of a Skype-type headset for mic/audio out.
          Or a good USB system and the laptop internal for mic/audio out.