Re: Ensemble RXTX Driver/PA Testing --- Output is awfully low!

  • N2BHA
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 30, 2012
      Hi Warren,

      I checked JP1, Q3 Collector, T4 Primaries and Secondary, T6 Primaries and Secondary, and J6 connector. I have included my images immediately after yours in my album. ALL MEASUREMENTS WERE TAKEN with respect to R50 hairpin (ground). For 40M testing I found that as follows: With 3.34 volts P-P of audio drive (JP1) I am seeing 5.92 V P-P at Q6, 35.6 and 30.8 V P-P at the primaries of T4, and 25.2 and 24.2 V P-P at the primaries T6 with respect to reference ground.

      The last part and the measurements taken at J6 are puzzling to me. It seems that the difference in signal at center conductor and shield should be quite different. Am I incorrect here? I would guess that there is either a problem with the connector J6 or the transformer T6.

      I am curious what you think?

      Take Care and Many Thanks,
      Vaughn N2BHA

      > You are very welcome Vaughn... and I completely agree. I end up breaking things on purpose so I can fix them!
      >
      > One correction on the scope shots.... the last one is actually the output at the antenna connector. Should not be much difference from T6 but I realized I had them out of order.
      >
      > Good luck and don't fix it too fast!
      >
      > Warren Allgyer - W8TOD
      >
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Many thanks Warren. You have given me many things to check and play with. It is actually more fun for me if things dont actually work flawlessly the first time out. I learn more that way. I will let you know what I find out, hopefully, tomorrow.
      > >
      > > Thanks Again es 73,
      > > Vaughn N2BHA

    • warrenallgyer
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 30, 2012
        Yes Vaughn I agree. It is either a bad connector (highly unlikely) or a shorted T6, which I would say is very likely. I would pull T6 and rewind it with fresh wire. I would also take Robby's suggestion of twirling a drill bit in the holes of the binocular core to take the sharp edge off. It feels to me like you inadvertently scraped some insulation off one of the T6 windings. Just start over..... and don't forget to flip the polarity of one of the windings per the instruction addendum.

        You are almost there!

        Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@...> wrote:

        > Hi Warren,
        >
        > I checked JP1, Q3 Collector, T4 Primaries and Secondary, T6 Primaries and Secondary, and J6 connector. I have included my images immediately after yours in my album. ALL MEASUREMENTS WERE TAKEN with respect to R50 hairpin (ground). For 40M testing I found that as follows: With 3.34 volts P-P of audio drive (JP1) I am seeing 5.92 V P-P at Q6, 35.6 and 30.8 V P-P at the primaries of T4, and 25.2 and 24.2 V P-P at the primaries T6 with respect to reference ground.
        >
        > The last part and the measurements taken at J6 are puzzling to me. It seems that the difference in signal at center conductor and shield should be quite different. Am I incorrect here? I would guess that there is either a problem with the connector J6 or the transformer T6.
        >
        > I am curious what you think?
        >
        > Take Care and Many Thanks,
        > Vaughn N2BHA
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "warrenallgyer" <allgyer@> wrote:
        > >
        > > You are very welcome Vaughn... and I completely agree. I end up breaking things on purpose so I can fix them!
        > >
        > > One correction on the scope shots.... the last one is actually the output at the antenna connector. Should not be much difference from T6 but I realized I had them out of order.
        > >
        > > Good luck and don't fix it too fast!
        > >
        > > Warren Allgyer - W8TOD
        > >
        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Many thanks Warren. You have given me many things to check and play with. It is actually more fun for me if things dont actually work flawlessly the first time out. I learn more that way. I will let you know what I find out, hopefully, tomorrow.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks Again es 73,
        > > > Vaughn N2BHA

      • warrenallgyer
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 30, 2012
          BTW.... I find it maddening trying to clean those transformer holes with solder wick. Instead I take a six inch piece of the #26 enameled wire supplied with the kits and heat the hole from the top side of the board pushing the enamel wire through the hole to clear it. If you keep pushing it will clear the solder and it does not stick to the enamel. then just pull it through from the other side and you have a nice clear hold.... just like new.

          > Yes Vaughn I agree. It is either a bad connector (highly unlikely) or a shorted T6, which I would say is very likely. I would pull T6 and rewind it with fresh wire. I would also take Robby's suggestion of twirling a drill bit in the holes of the binocular core to take the sharp edge off. It feels to me like you inadvertently scraped some insulation off one of the T6 windings. Just start over..... and don't forget to flip the polarity of one of the windings per the instruction addendum.
          >
          > You are almost there!
          >
          > Warren Allgyer - W8TOD
          >
          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Warren,
          > >
          > > I checked JP1, Q3 Collector, T4 Primaries and Secondary, T6 Primaries and Secondary, and J6 connector. I have included my images immediately after yours in my album. ALL MEASUREMENTS WERE TAKEN with respect to R50 hairpin (ground). For 40M testing I found that as follows: With 3.34 volts P-P of audio drive (JP1) I am seeing 5.92 V P-P at Q6, 35.6 and 30.8 V P-P at the primaries of T4, and 25.2 and 24.2 V P-P at the primaries T6 with respect to reference ground.
          > >
          > > The last part and the measurements taken at J6 are puzzling to me. It seems that the difference in signal at center conductor and shield should be quite different. Am I incorrect here? I would guess that there is either a problem with the connector J6 or the transformer T6.
          > >
          > > I am curious what you think?
          > >
          > > Take Care and Many Thanks,
          > > Vaughn N2BHA
          > >
          > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "warrenallgyer" <allgyer@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > You are very welcome Vaughn... and I completely agree. I end up breaking things on purpose so I can fix them!
          > > >
          > > > One correction on the scope shots.... the last one is actually the output at the antenna connector. Should not be much difference from T6 but I realized I had them out of order.
          > > >
          > > > Good luck and don't fix it too fast!
          > > >
          > > > Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

        • mkatz_08852
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 30, 2012
            I recently saw on one of those forums a great idea for clearing a PCB hole; heat the hole and, at the same time, blow it out with compressed air from one of those canned dusters. Just be careful where the splatter goes. I used the idea two times, once carelessly blowing the air towards a circuit. Good thing it didn't short something. Marc WB2MSC

            Sent from Samsung tablet
            warrenallgyer <allgyer@...> wrote:

            BTW.... I find it maddening trying to clean those transformer holes with solder wick. Instead I take a six inch piece of the #26 enameled wire supplied with the kits and heat the hole from the top side of the board pushing the enamel wire through the hole to clear it. If you keep pushing it will clear the solder and it does not stick to the enamel. then just pull it through from the other side and you have a nice clear hold.... just like new.

            > Yes Vaughn I agree. It is either a bad connector (highly unlikely) or a shorted T6, which I would say is very likely. I would pull T6 and rewind it with fresh wire. I would also take Robby's suggestion of twirling a drill bit in the holes of the binocular core to take the sharp edge off. It feels to me like you inadvertently scraped some insulation off one of the T6 windings. Just start over..... and don't forget to flip the polarity of one of the windings per the instruction addendum.
            >
            > You are almost there!
            >
            > Warren Allgyer - W8TOD
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Warren,
            > >
            > > I checked JP1, Q3 Collector, T4 Primaries and Secondary, T6 Primaries and Secondary, and J6 connector. I have included my images immediately after yours in my album. ALL MEASUREMENTS WERE TAKEN with respect to R50 hairpin (ground). For 40M testing I found that as follows: With 3.34 volts P-P of audio drive (JP1) I am seeing 5.92 V P-P at Q6, 35.6 and 30.8 V P-P at the primaries of T4, and 25.2 and 24.2 V P-P at the primaries T6 with respect to reference ground.
            > >
            > > The last part and the measurements taken at J6 are puzzling to me. It seems that the difference in signal at center conductor and shield should be quite different. Am I incorrect here? I would guess that there is either a problem with the connector J6 or the transformer T6.
            > >
            > > I am curious what you think?
            > >
            > > Take Care and Many Thanks,
            > > Vaughn N2BHA
            > >
            > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "warrenallgyer" <allgyer@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > You are very welcome Vaughn... and I completely agree. I end up breaking things on purpose so I can fix them!
            > > >
            > > > One correction on the scope shots.... the last one is actually the output at the antenna connector. Should not be much difference from T6 but I realized I had them out of order.
            > > >
            > > > Good luck and don't fix it too fast!
            > > >
            > > > Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

          • N2BHA
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 30, 2012
              Many thanks again Warren. I will rewind it and reinstall. I never thought of the enameled wire idea. Neat suggestion. Thanks.

              BTW, I am interested to know if you think the other signals up to T6 that I measured seemed reasonable to you? I was a bit worried about the differences between T4 and T6 on both 40 and 80 but I imagine that that could certainly be impacted by a short at T6.

              What I found interesting was that I tried hooking the rig up to my external amp and, on 80, it was enough drive for the amp to produce (by it's LED indicator lights anyway) about 100W out. This is very weird. I would NEVER have expected this. Especially since I now suspect a short in T6.

              Things that make you go Hmmmm... hi hi.

              Take Care and Thanks Again,
              Vaughn N2BHA

              > BTW.... I find it maddening trying to clean those transformer holes with solder wick. Instead I take a six inch piece of the #26 enameled wire supplied with the kits and heat the hole from the top side of the board pushing the enamel wire through the hole to clear it. If you keep pushing it will clear the solder and it does not stick to the enamel. then just pull it through from the other side and you have a nice clear hold.... just like new.
              >

              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "warrenallgyer" <allgyer@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yes Vaughn I agree. It is either a bad connector (highly unlikely) or a shorted T6, which I would say is very likely. I would pull T6 and rewind it with fresh wire. I would also take Robby's suggestion of twirling a drill bit in the holes of the binocular core to take the sharp edge off. It feels to me like you inadvertently scraped some insulation off one of the T6 windings. Just start over..... and don't forget to flip the polarity of one of the windings per the instruction addendum.
              > >
              > > You are almost there!
              > >
              > > Warren Allgyer - W8TOD
              > >
              > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Warren,
              > > >
              > > > I checked JP1, Q3 Collector, T4 Primaries and Secondary, T6 Primaries and Secondary, and J6 connector. I have included my images immediately after yours in my album. ALL MEASUREMENTS WERE TAKEN with respect to R50 hairpin (ground). For 40M testing I found that as follows: With 3.34 volts P-P of audio drive (JP1) I am seeing 5.92 V P-P at Q6, 35.6 and 30.8 V P-P at the primaries of T4, and 25.2 and 24.2 V P-P at the primaries T6 with respect to reference ground.
              > > >
              > > > The last part and the measurements taken at J6 are puzzling to me. It seems that the difference in signal at center conductor and shield should be quite different. Am I incorrect here? I would guess that there is either a problem with the connector J6 or the transformer T6.
              > > >
              > > > I am curious what you think?
              > > >
              > > > Take Care and Many Thanks,
              > > > Vaughn N2BHA

            • N2BHA
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 30, 2012
                Disconnected the rig from all cables and took out the meter. T6 does indeed seem to have a short. I tested between primary and secondary connections and there was indeed a short between all of them them. The oddity is that I was able to drive the HLA-150 yesterday so I hooked everything back up and connected the amp through to the dummy load and dialed back the drive in PowerSDR and I easily got 62W out.

                The results can be seen here:

                and here

                I am trying to figure out how this was possible with all leads connected T6 seemingly short between primary and secondary.

                Take Care es 73,
                Vaughn N2BHA

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@...> wrote:

                > Many thanks again Warren. I will rewind it and reinstall. I never thought of the enameled wire idea. Neat suggestion. Thanks.
                >
                > BTW, I am interested to know if you think the other signals up to T6 that I measured seemed reasonable to you? I was a bit worried about the differences between T4 and T6 on both 40 and 80 but I imagine that that could certainly be impacted by a short at T6.
                >
                > What I found interesting was that I tried hooking the rig up to my external amp and, on 80, it was enough drive for the amp to produce (by it's LED indicator lights anyway) about 100W out. This is very weird. I would NEVER have expected this. Especially since I now suspect a short in T6.
                >
                > Things that make you go Hmmmm... hi hi.
                >
                > Take Care and Thanks Again,
                > Vaughn N2BHA
                >
                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "warrenallgyer" <allgyer@> wrote:
                > >
                > > BTW.... I find it maddening trying to clean those transformer holes with solder wick. Instead I take a six inch piece of the #26 enameled wire supplied with the kits and heat the hole from the top side of the board pushing the enamel wire through the hole to clear it. If you keep pushing it will clear the solder and it does not stick to the enamel. then just pull it through from the other side and you have a nice clear hold.... just like new.
                > >

                > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "warrenallgyer" <allgyer@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Yes Vaughn I agree. It is either a bad connector (highly unlikely) or a shorted T6, which I would say is very likely. I would pull T6 and rewind it with fresh wire. I would also take Robby's suggestion of twirling a drill bit in the holes of the binocular core to take the sharp edge off. It feels to me like you inadvertently scraped some insulation off one of the T6 windings. Just start over..... and don't forget to flip the polarity of one of the windings per the instruction addendum.
                > > >
                > > > You are almost there!
                > > >
                > > > Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

              • N2BHA
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 30, 2012
                  Oops... both the same picture...

                  Here is the output from the scope:

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@...> wrote:

                  > Disconnected the rig from all cables and took out the meter. T6 does indeed seem to have a short. I tested between primary and secondary connections and there was indeed a short between all of them them. The oddity is that I was able to drive the HLA-150 yesterday so I hooked everything back up and connected the amp through to the dummy load and dialed back the drive in PowerSDR and I easily got 62W out.
                  >
                  > The results can be seen here:

                  > and here

                  > I am trying to figure out how this was possible with all leads connected T6 seemingly short between primary and secondary.
                  >
                  > Take Care es 73,
                  > Vaughn N2BHA
                  >
                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Many thanks again Warren. I will rewind it and reinstall. I never thought of the enameled wire idea. Neat suggestion. Thanks.
                  > >
                  > > BTW, I am interested to know if you think the other signals up to T6 that I measured seemed reasonable to you? I was a bit worried about the differences between T4 and T6 on both 40 and 80 but I imagine that that could certainly be impacted by a short at T6.
                  > >
                  > > What I found interesting was that I tried hooking the rig up to my external amp and, on 80, it was enough drive for the amp to produce (by it's LED indicator lights anyway) about 100W out. This is very weird. I would NEVER have expected this. Especially since I now suspect a short in T6.
                  > >
                  > > Things that make you go Hmmmm... hi hi.
                  > >
                  > > Take Care and Thanks Again,
                  > > Vaughn N2BHA
                  > >
                  > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "warrenallgyer" <allgyer@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > BTW.... I find it maddening trying to clean those transformer holes with solder wick. Instead I take a six inch piece of the #26 enameled wire supplied with the kits and heat the hole from the top side of the board pushing the enamel wire through the hole to clear it. If you keep pushing it will clear the solder and it does not stick to the enamel. then just pull it through from the other side and you have a nice clear hold.... just like new.

                • Alex
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 31, 2012
                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@...> wrote:

                    > Oops... both the same picture...
                    >
                    > Here is the output from the scope:

                    > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Disconnected the rig from all cables and took out the meter. T6 does indeed seem to have a short. I tested between primary and secondary connections and there was indeed a short between all of them them. The oddity is that I was able to drive the HLA-150 yesterday so I hooked everything back up and connected the amp through to the dummy load and dialed back the drive in PowerSDR and I easily got 62W out.
                    > >
                    > > The results can be seen here:

                    > > and here

                    > > I am trying to figure out how this was possible with all leads connected T6 seemingly short between primary and secondary.
                    > >
                    > > Take Care es 73,
                    > > Vaughn N2BHA
                    > >
                    > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Many thanks again Warren. I will rewind it and reinstall. I never thought of the enameled wire idea. Neat suggestion. Thanks.
                    > > >
                    > > > BTW, I am interested to know if you think the other signals up to T6 that I measured seemed reasonable to you? I was a bit worried about the differences between T4 and T6 on both 40 and 80 but I imagine that that could certainly be impacted by a short at T6.
                    > > >
                    > > > What I found interesting was that I tried hooking the rig up to my external amp and, on 80, it was enough drive for the amp to produce (by it's LED indicator lights anyway) about 100W out. This is very weird. I would NEVER have expected this. Especially since I now suspect a short in T6.
                    > > >
                    > > > Things that make you go Hmmmm... hi hi.
                    > > >
                    > > > Take Care and Thanks Again,
                    > > > Vaughn N2BHA

                    Hello Vaughn N2BHA,

                    This question is for you,
                    I have a Ensemble RXTX, and have been thinking of purchasing the RM Italy HLA-150. I see your post here, I'm wondering if you have ever run input drive at max with psdr and ensemble rxtx and how much power output from the hla-150 do you get? With the output of my 40/80M ensemble at about 2.5 watts I'm hoping to get at least 75w output from the hla-150, but I'm not sure if I should spend the money on this amp and only get maybe 50 or 60 watts. Could you give me a little more info on your experience with the rxtx and the HLA-150?

                    Thanks
                    Alex
                  • N2BHA
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 31, 2012
                      Hi Alex,

                      I have used the HLA-150 with my Genesis SDR rigs and finds that it performs best at or slightly below 100W. I have started testing with the Ensemble but have only CW at this point. Looks like around 90W on 80M and mid to high 60W range for 40M. I am not certain if there are some settings in PowerSDR that I have to fiddle with. I will post scope images when after I do more testing and preliminary ones today.

                      You will want to read the HLA testing done by W8IJ. You will want to live between 90 and 125 Watts with this amp. What I have experienced thus far seems consistent with his data. Here is a link to his article:

                      http://www.w8ji.com/rm_hla-150_test.htm

                      Hope this helps.

                      Happy New Year es 73,
                      Vaughn N2BHA

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <malard@...> wrote:

                      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Oops... both the same picture...
                      > >
                      > > Here is the output from the scope:

                      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Disconnected the rig from all cables and took out the meter. T6 does indeed seem to have a short. I tested between primary and secondary connections and there was indeed a short between all of them them. The oddity is that I was able to drive the HLA-150 yesterday so I hooked everything back up and connected the amp through to the dummy load and dialed back the drive in PowerSDR and I easily got 62W out.
                      > > >
                      > > > The results can be seen here:

                      > > > and here

                      > > > I am trying to figure out how this was possible with all leads connected T6 seemingly short between primary and secondary.
                      > > >
                      > > > Take Care es 73,
                      > > > Vaughn N2BHA

                      > Hello Vaughn N2BHA,
                      >
                      > This question is for you,
                      > I have a Ensemble RXTX, and have been thinking of purchasing the RM Italy HLA-150. I see your post here, I'm wondering if you have ever run input drive at max with psdr and ensemble rxtx and how much power output from the hla-150 do you get? With the output of my 40/80M ensemble at about 2.5 watts I'm hoping to get at least 75w output from the hla-150, but I'm not sure if I should spend the money on this amp and only get maybe 50 or 60 watts. Could you give me a little more info on your experience with the rxtx and the HLA-150?
                      >

                      > Thanks
                      > Alex

                    • N2BHA
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 31, 2012
                        Many Thanks Warren! The T6 isolation transformer was the problem and after a rewind and install I was off to the races. If you take a look at end of the album you will find the output. Unamplified I am seeing about 1.2W on 40M and about 1.4W on 80M. I get about 64W amplified on 40M (not sure but this may be software settings) and 90-100W on 80M.

                        Here is a video from my YouTube site of the rig in RX.
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/N2BHA?feature=mhee

                        I will be uploading another with my first contact. The rig was great fun to build and I appreciate your help very much.

                        Take Care and Happy New Year,
                        Vaughn N2BHA

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@...> wrote:

                        > Oops... both the same picture...
                        >
                        > Here is the output from the scope:

                        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Disconnected the rig from all cables and took out the meter. T6 does indeed seem to have a short. I tested between primary and secondary connections and there was indeed a short between all of them them. The oddity is that I was able to drive the HLA-150 yesterday so I hooked everything back up and connected the amp through to the dummy load and dialed back the drive in PowerSDR and I easily got 62W out.
                        > >
                        > > The results can be seen here:

                        > > and here

                        > > I am trying to figure out how this was possible with all leads connected T6 seemingly short between primary and secondary.
                        > >
                        > > Take Care es 73,
                        > > Vaughn N2BHA
                        > >
                        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Many thanks again Warren. I will rewind it and reinstall. I never thought of the enameled wire idea. Neat suggestion. Thanks.
                        > > >
                        > > > BTW, I am interested to know if you think the other signals up to T6 that I measured seemed reasonable to you? I was a bit worried about the differences between T4 and T6 on both 40 and 80 but I imagine that that could certainly be impacted by a short at T6.
                        > > >
                        > > > What I found interesting was that I tried hooking the rig up to my external amp and, on 80, it was enough drive for the amp to produce (by it's LED indicator lights anyway) about 100W out. This is very weird. I would NEVER have expected this. Especially since I now suspect a short in T6.
                        > > >
                        > > > Things that make you go Hmmmm... hi hi.
                        > > >
                        > > > Take Care and Thanks Again,
                        > > > Vaughn N2BHA

                      • John Williams
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 31, 2012
                          Vaughn,

                          You now have pride of ownership that is superior to any store purchased radio! My biggest thrill was a  QSO to Spain from Illinois, USA with 1W of power about a day after getting all of the kinks worked out with Fldigi and my Softrock... Try it without the amp some time on digital modes and see what you can accomplish!

                          Hope to see you on the waterfall! Welcome to the community of successful builders!

                          John - KE5SSH

                          --

                          John Williams

                          KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                          WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

                        • warrenallgyer
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 31, 2012
                            Congratulations Vaughn! That is great news. That feeling of accomplishment is terrific!

                            I strongly recommend you use the low pass filter detailed by Robby for 80 meters, especially if you use an amplifier. The harmonic content on 80 will not meet the -40 dB FCC requirement without it.

                            Congratulations again and I will look forward to that video of the first contact.

                            Best regards and Happy New Year from Beijing.

                          • N2BHA
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 31, 2012
                              Many thanks to both you and John. I will be building the LP filter tomorrow as I am planning to use it QRP for quite a while. Ran it through the amp because it has LP filters already in place. I enjoy QRP very much and only purchased the amplifier very recently because I need to be able to communicate more reliably AND on SSB as I became more active in AF MARS. Other than that I enjoy CW and the digi modes the most. For this I usually use 5W or less.

                              Beijing. Wow! I believe that their new year is not for another month or so but they REALLY know how to do it right! Enjoy yourself and I hope to work you on the air soon.

                              Take Care es 72,
                              Vaughn N2BHA

                              > Congratulations Vaughn! That is great news. That feeling of accomplishment is terrific!
                              >
                              > I strongly recommend you use the low pass filter detailed by Robby for 80 meters, especially if you use an amplifier. The harmonic content on 80 will not meet the -40 dB FCC requirement without it.
                              >
                              > Congratulations again and I will look forward to that video of the first contact.
                              >
                              > Best regards and Happy New Year from Beijing.
                              >
                              > Warren Allgyer - W8TOD
                              >
                              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > Many Thanks Warren! The T6 isolation transformer was the problem and after a rewind and install I was off to the races. If you take a look at end of the album you will find the output. Unamplified I am seeing about 1.2W on 40M and about 1.4W on 80M. I get about 64W amplified on 40M (not sure but this may be software settings) and 90-100W on 80M.
                              > >
                              > > Here is a video from my YouTube site of the rig in RX.
                              > > http://www.youtube.com/user/N2BHA?feature=mhee
                              > >
                              > > I will be uploading another with my first contact. The rig was great fun to build and I appreciate your help very much.
                              > >
                              > > Take Care and Happy New Year,
                              > > Vaughn N2BHA
                              > >

                              > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Oops... both the same picture...
                              > > >
                              > > > Here is the output from the scope:

                            • Alex
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 31, 2012
                                Thanks for the reply Vaughn,

                                If your getting around the high 60's on 40m then 10m will probably be around 40 to 50w. Well then it would not be wise to spend $300 for a 50w amp. To bad you couldn't get a little more wattage out of the ensemble rxtx on 10m. My 80m ensemble puts out about 2.5w, but the 10m only 1w, not quite enough to drive the HLA-150. I really appreciate your help Vaughn.

                                Thanks
                                Alex
                                W6ACT

                              • warrenallgyer
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 31, 2012
                                  Haha... yes the REAL NEW YEAR is not until mid-February but there are enough of us foreigners around to have created a pretty raucous celebration a few hours ago. A pot of coffee and some ibuprophen are in order for the morning.

                                  Noted on the amp. One other caution, especially if you are running the RXTX at 12V, at 1.4 and 1.2 watts output your third order distortion products are likely on the ragged edge of acceptability. If you are running SSB on that amp, from what I have read anyway, it is likely to add considerably to that. I suspect at 100 watts of SSB you are likely to be "splattering" quite a bit. You can help both your output power and the distortion levels by operating the RXTX at 13.8 volts. Of course this will not fix and additional distortion the amplifier produces but it will improve your starting point.

                                  I am almost exclusively operating on WSPR.... usually 40 meters at night and 20-10 daytime. I think we would have a very good chance to connect barefoot to barefoot at some point.

                                  Best regards,

                                  Warren Allgyer

                                • warrenallgyer
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 31, 2012
                                    Hi Alex

                                    I wish I had read your posting before I replied separately to Vaughn. Just a note of caution: At 2.5 watts out on 80 meters your third order distortion products from the RXTX are almost certainly higher than the FCC limit. If you are only operating CW or digital modes then this will not likely be a problem but if you are operating SSB you need to exercise caution. You will be starting with an exciter that is already out of spec and certainly worsening the problem with the amplifier.

                                    I strongly recommend you measure the distortion or, at a minimum, do some critical listening for SSB splatter outside the 3.5 KHz limit, and adjust your power accordingly.

                                    I hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice.

                                    Best regards,

                                    Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                                  • N2BHA
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 1, 2013
                                      Successfully spotted on WSPR:

                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl5VGb-WNL4&list=PLWPErP3-71wR13EF6-yDMa4qGcmrUyToO&index=2

                                      First successful JT65 QSO with my RXTX:

                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJsym63Cbqs

                                      Great start to the new year.

                                      Take Care es 72,
                                      Vaughn N2BHA

                                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@...> wrote:

                                      > Many Thanks Warren! The T6 isolation transformer was the problem and after a rewind and install I was off to the races. If you take a look at end of the album you will find the output. Unamplified I am seeing about 1.2W on 40M and about 1.4W on 80M. I get about 64W amplified on 40M (not sure but this may be software settings) and 90-100W on 80M.
                                      >
                                      > Here is a video from my YouTube site of the rig in RX.
                                      > http://www.youtube.com/user/N2BHA?feature=mhee
                                      >
                                      > I will be uploading another with my first contact. The rig was great fun to build and I appreciate your help very much.
                                      >
                                      > Take Care and Happy New Year,
                                      > Vaughn N2BHA
                                      >

                                      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Oops... both the same picture...
                                      > >
                                      > > Here is the output from the scope:

                                      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N2BHA" <n2bha@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Disconnected the rig from all cables and took out the meter. T6 does indeed seem to have a short. I tested between primary and secondary connections and there was indeed a short between all of them them. The oddity is that I was able to drive the HLA-150 yesterday so I hooked everything back up and connected the amp through to the dummy load and dialed back the drive in PowerSDR and I easily got 62W out.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > The results can be seen here:

                                      > > > and here

                                      > > > I am trying to figure out how this was possible with all leads connected T6 seemingly short between primary and secondary.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Take Care es 73,
                                      > > > Vaughn N2BHA

                                    • indyfromoz
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 1, 2013
                                        Hi Vaughn,

                                        Congratulations on your successful build and the first QSOs! I watched both the videos on Youtube, it is great fun to build a rig and have it all work. Which soundcard are you using with your Softrock?

                                        HNY & 73,
                                        Indy VK2IJC

                                      • N2BHA
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 1, 2013
                                          Many Thanks Indy,

                                          I am using the Xonar Essence ST as my primary sound card and the external USB EMU-0202 as my secondary card.

                                          Take Care es 73,
                                          Vaughn N2BHA