Re: [softrock40] SMT Alternatives...! (pretty-please?)

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 13, 2012
      Subject: [softrock40] SMT Alternatives...! (pretty-please?)

      >I'm just really adamant about wanting to replace the SMTs. The LT6231 I can't find in through-hole on ANY of the component
      >web-sites...

      If you really really want to use the Softrock design and do not find equivalents then it is possible to use this size of IC in a
      wired manner.
      Each of the pins can be bent up a certain amount. They will easily survive bending right over to give clearance for clumsy
      connections.

      But I think I've seen other designs that use only through hole components.

      But make these things too big and you may have troubles. Square waves radiating from the connecting wires might make this a good
      jamming system rather than a good receiver.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • Zack Widup
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 13, 2012
        I think if you look around at what parts are available, you can find substitute larger parts that will perform the same functions as the surface-mount ones in the Softrocks. But as Alan pointed out, building the receiver on a breadboard may not yield the same results as the existing boards, especially at the higher frequencies.

        Someone recommended getting practice at soldering SMD parts by getting an old scrap board and using a heat gun to heat the board while knocking all the parts off; then practicing by soldering them back on. I think this is a great idea.

        73, Zack W9SZ

        On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

        >I'm just really adamant about wanting to replace the SMTs. The LT6231 I can't find in through-hole on ANY of the component
        >web-sites...

        If you really really want to use the Softrock design and do not find equivalents then it is possible to use this size of IC in a
        wired manner.
        Each of the pins can be bent up a certain amount. They will easily survive bending right over to give clearance for clumsy
        connections.

        But I think I've seen other designs that use only through hole components.

        But make these things too big and you may have troubles. Square waves radiating from the connecting wires might make this a good
        jamming system rather than a good receiver.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

      • Rick Simpson
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 13, 2012
          If you insist on using non-smt components there are tiny circuit boards available that turn SMT active components into through-hole components. Of course, you will still have to solder the SMT devices to the tiny circuit board!

          Take a look at:

          Rick
          K3IND