SMT Alternatives...! (pretty-please?)

  • kcoriginal
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 13, 2012
      Hello All!

      I have a Softrock Lite II that I've been building for a while now. I cooked the LT6231 and ordered a replacement. Got over that part. No biggie.

      Soldered a transistor in place of the voltage regulator... figured THAT out... boy that was FUN!

      I also ripped the traces around the 6231 to shreds... still working on soldering little risers I cut from resistor leads to each of the adjacent components to provide a new way to connect the little IC.

      Despite my misadventures... not much $, so I'm ok... it's a hobby.

      .

      .

      .

      BUT!

      I really really REALLY wanna do this kit in Through-hole. I want to build it with 1/4 watt parts on a big breadboard or perf board with wire-leads...

      It's great that it is so small and cute, but I just plain want it bigger and more conducive to breadboard experimenting... etc.

      Might someone please help me determine which components to replace these ICs with?

      I have searched around the old posts for an hour or so, and I see a few where people have asked, but they are always told better ways to do SMT or whatever... I'm just really adamant about wanting to replace the SMTs. The LT6231 I can't find in through-hole on ANY of the component web-sites... and I have signed up for a LOT of them in the past month! You should see the SPAM in my inbox!

      I figure the dual-flip-flop is straight forward... Mouser only has two variations, a 125ns and a 14ns... I'll just buy one of each and try it out.

      but the LT6231 and the FST3253... those are DAUNTING for me... too many specs for my limited training to determine which ones I can flex and how far...

      Has anyone solved this question before?

      thx!
      kc in SATX
      K9SPY
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 13, 2012
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 13, 2012
          I think if you look around at what parts are available, you can find substitute larger parts that will perform the same functions as the surface-mount ones in the Softrocks. But as Alan pointed out, building the receiver on a breadboard may not yield the same results as the existing boards, especially at the higher frequencies.

          Someone recommended getting practice at soldering SMD parts by getting an old scrap board and using a heat gun to heat the board while knocking all the parts off; then practicing by soldering them back on. I think this is a great idea.

          73, Zack W9SZ

          On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

          >I'm just really adamant about wanting to replace the SMTs. The LT6231 I can't find in through-hole on ANY of the component
          >web-sites...

          If you really really want to use the Softrock design and do not find equivalents then it is possible to use this size of IC in a
          wired manner.
          Each of the pins can be bent up a certain amount. They will easily survive bending right over to give clearance for clumsy
          connections.

          But I think I've seen other designs that use only through hole components.

          But make these things too big and you may have troubles. Square waves radiating from the connecting wires might make this a good
          jamming system rather than a good receiver.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • Rick Simpson
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 13, 2012
            If you insist on using non-smt components there are tiny circuit boards available that turn SMT active components into through-hole components. Of course, you will still have to solder the SMT devices to the tiny circuit board!

            Take a look at:

            Rick
            K3IND