Re: [softrock40] Birdie or image? Hams heard at 2.470 MHz. Hmmm.

  • Bruce Tanner
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
      I would first want to know if the SR has been properly calibrated, although that seems a little too much for the usual off calibration degree. You also want to be sure that the U/L sideband settings are correct as the scale readings can be considerably off if not set properly.

      bet

      On 12/12/2012 10:26 AM, allenbh57 wrote:

      A friend call me - a coworker of his has just got the Softrock RxTx working, and was listening, and claimed to have heard 2 (or more?) Hams, with callsigns, talking at 2.470 - 2.475 MhZ. Now, I am not aware of a new band just yet, although that would be a nice frequency, and we are thinking it must be an image or artifact. But these are different from a superheterodyne, right, and the typical "image" from the IF frequency and mixing, would not be present... am I right?

      What do you think it might be? I said I'd throw it out to the group.

      Thanks!

      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7793 (20121212) __________

      http://www.eset.com

    • warrenallgyer
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
        Since we are guessing:

        Si5170 is defaulting to 7.05 and these are VEs on 40 meters.

        Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "allenbh57" <allenbh@...> wrote:

        > A friend call me - a coworker of his has just got the Softrock RxTx working, and was listening, and claimed to have heard 2 (or more?) Hams, with callsigns, talking at 2.470 - 2.475 MhZ. Now, I am not aware of a new band just yet, although that would be a nice frequency, and we are thinking it must be an image or artifact. But these are different from a superheterodyne, right, and the typical "image" from the IF frequency and mixing, would not be present... am I right?
        >
        > What do you think it might be? I said I'd throw it out to the group.
        >
        > Thanks!

      • John Greusel
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
          Good Job Warren,

          The imagination is better than the reality of the situation in this case- I think. :-)

          John
          KC9OJV