Re: [softrock40] Birdie or image? Hams heard at 2.470 MHz. Hmmm.

  • John Greusel
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
      Why would he be listening at that spot? What software is he using?
      Two guesses- he doesn't have frequency agility (or control of the SI570) and he's can spin the dial to no avail.
      Or, he's got a really strange calibration setup and he's almost 5 mhz off and listening to 40 meters.

      John
      KC9OJV

      A friend call me - a coworker of his has just got the Softrock RxTx working, and was listening, and claimed to have heard 2 (or more?) Hams, with callsigns, talking at 2.470 - 2.475 MhZ. Now, I am not aware of a new band just yet, although that would be a nice frequency, and we are thinking it must be an image or artifact. But these are different from a superheterodyne, right, and the typical "image" from the IF frequency and mixing, would not be present... am I right?

      What do you think it might be? I said I'd throw it out to the group.

      Thanks!

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012

        >A friend call me - a coworker of his has just got the Softrock RxTx working, and was listening, and claimed to have heard 2 (or
        >more?) Hams, with callsigns, talking at 2.470 - 2.475 MhZ. Now, I am not aware of a new band just yet, although that would be a
        >nice frequency, and we are thinking it must be an image or artifact. But these are different from a superheterodyne, right, and the
        >typical "image" from the IF frequency and mixing, would not be present... am I right?

        Is it correctly calibrated?

        This is close to the x3 response of the Softrock mixer.
        3 x 2.47 = 7.41
        What RXTX is it? If it covers 40m this is very possible.

        Otherwise some other mixing product?

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Bruce Tanner
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
          I would first want to know if the SR has been properly calibrated, although that seems a little too much for the usual off calibration degree. You also want to be sure that the U/L sideband settings are correct as the scale readings can be considerably off if not set properly.

          bet

          On 12/12/2012 10:26 AM, allenbh57 wrote:

          A friend call me - a coworker of his has just got the Softrock RxTx working, and was listening, and claimed to have heard 2 (or more?) Hams, with callsigns, talking at 2.470 - 2.475 MhZ. Now, I am not aware of a new band just yet, although that would be a nice frequency, and we are thinking it must be an image or artifact. But these are different from a superheterodyne, right, and the typical "image" from the IF frequency and mixing, would not be present... am I right?

          What do you think it might be? I said I'd throw it out to the group.

          Thanks!

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7793 (20121212) __________

          http://www.eset.com

        • warrenallgyer
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
            Since we are guessing:

            Si5170 is defaulting to 7.05 and these are VEs on 40 meters.

            Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "allenbh57" <allenbh@...> wrote:

            > A friend call me - a coworker of his has just got the Softrock RxTx working, and was listening, and claimed to have heard 2 (or more?) Hams, with callsigns, talking at 2.470 - 2.475 MhZ. Now, I am not aware of a new band just yet, although that would be a nice frequency, and we are thinking it must be an image or artifact. But these are different from a superheterodyne, right, and the typical "image" from the IF frequency and mixing, would not be present... am I right?
            >
            > What do you think it might be? I said I'd throw it out to the group.
            >
            > Thanks!

          • John Greusel
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
              Good Job Warren,

              The imagination is better than the reality of the situation in this case- I think. :-)

              John
              KC9OJV