RE: [softrock40] Birdie or image? Hams heard at 2.470 MHz. Hmmm.

  • MIKE DURKIN
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
      Or .... its s typo(5.47mhz) and he's in the 60M band with the I/Q reversed ...

      Guessing, just guessing ....

      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      From: Patriot121@...
      Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 07:35:14 -0800
      Subject: RE: [softrock40] Birdie or image? Hams heard at 2.470 MHz. Hmmm.

      2nd & 3rd harmonic fall outside the ham bands ....

      Are/were the filters installed already?
      Im thinking BCB mixing and he's not calibrated....

      Mike KC7NOA

      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      From: allenbh@...
      Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 15:26:20 +0000

      A friend call me - a coworker of his has just got the Softrock RxTx working, and was listening, and claimed to have heard 2 (or more?) Hams, with callsigns, talking at 2.470 - 2.475 MhZ. Now, I am not aware of a new band just yet, although that would be a nice frequency, and we are thinking it must be an image or artifact. But these are different from a superheterodyne, right, and the typical "image" from the IF frequency and mixing, would not be present... am I right?

      What do you think it might be? I said I'd throw it out to the group.

      Thanks!

    • John Greusel
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
        Why would he be listening at that spot? What software is he using?
        Two guesses- he doesn't have frequency agility (or control of the SI570) and he's can spin the dial to no avail.
        Or, he's got a really strange calibration setup and he's almost 5 mhz off and listening to 40 meters.

        John
        KC9OJV

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012

          >A friend call me - a coworker of his has just got the Softrock RxTx working, and was listening, and claimed to have heard 2 (or
          >more?) Hams, with callsigns, talking at 2.470 - 2.475 MhZ. Now, I am not aware of a new band just yet, although that would be a
          >nice frequency, and we are thinking it must be an image or artifact. But these are different from a superheterodyne, right, and the
          >typical "image" from the IF frequency and mixing, would not be present... am I right?

          Is it correctly calibrated?

          This is close to the x3 response of the Softrock mixer.
          3 x 2.47 = 7.41
          What RXTX is it? If it covers 40m this is very possible.

          Otherwise some other mixing product?

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • Bruce Tanner
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
            I would first want to know if the SR has been properly calibrated, although that seems a little too much for the usual off calibration degree. You also want to be sure that the U/L sideband settings are correct as the scale readings can be considerably off if not set properly.

            bet

            On 12/12/2012 10:26 AM, allenbh57 wrote:

            A friend call me - a coworker of his has just got the Softrock RxTx working, and was listening, and claimed to have heard 2 (or more?) Hams, with callsigns, talking at 2.470 - 2.475 MhZ. Now, I am not aware of a new band just yet, although that would be a nice frequency, and we are thinking it must be an image or artifact. But these are different from a superheterodyne, right, and the typical "image" from the IF frequency and mixing, would not be present... am I right?

            What do you think it might be? I said I'd throw it out to the group.

            Thanks!

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7793 (20121212) __________

            http://www.eset.com

          • warrenallgyer
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
              Since we are guessing:

              Si5170 is defaulting to 7.05 and these are VEs on 40 meters.

              Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "allenbh57" <allenbh@...> wrote:

              > A friend call me - a coworker of his has just got the Softrock RxTx working, and was listening, and claimed to have heard 2 (or more?) Hams, with callsigns, talking at 2.470 - 2.475 MhZ. Now, I am not aware of a new band just yet, although that would be a nice frequency, and we are thinking it must be an image or artifact. But these are different from a superheterodyne, right, and the typical "image" from the IF frequency and mixing, would not be present... am I right?
              >
              > What do you think it might be? I said I'd throw it out to the group.
              >
              > Thanks!

            • John Greusel
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 12, 2012
                Good Job Warren,

                The imagination is better than the reality of the situation in this case- I think. :-)

                John
                KC9OJV