Re: [softrock40] Kit builders?

  • David Turnbull
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012
      On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Rick Simpson <goatguy101@...> wrote:
      By any chance, is there a InductorQuik for easily winding toroids?

      You can ask Mychael Morohovich AA3WF <toroidguy@...> to do it for you.

      On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Jasmine Strong <modulararithmetic@...> wrote:
      [SMT is] Much easier than the through-hole parts.

      So true. If you want something to practice on before you try a radio, I just added a learn-to-solder-SMT kit to my store. It has the unique feature of being designed by a ham: Greg N7VZC

      73 David AE9RB

    • Brent G DeWitt
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012

        Maybe worth noting that Radio Shack sells a really inexpensive gel flux that works well.  That said ChipQuick is a really great resource for their desoldering material!!  I make sure to keep a supply available every since I first used it.

        Brent DeWitt

        Milford, MA

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
          Learn from doing.... my suggestion is to grab one of these throw away electronics out of the trash remove components from the board and then re-solder them to the board. "No harm No foul" its already trash so if you make a mistake dosen't hurt a thing. Play around on the junk and it give you lost of confidence. My break through on caps was to heat one side and slide them with the tweeters into the conection. Wow..... then I didn't need the sticky stuff. I also got better alignment besides it was secure for soldering the other side. So do one side on several caps and then come back and do the other. Well my 2 cents worth.
          Dean
          KB7ANL

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Turnbull <dturnbull@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Rick Simpson <goatguy101@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > > By any chance, is there a InductorQuik for easily winding toroids?
          > >

          > You can ask Mychael Morohovich AA3WF <toroidguy@...> to do it for
          > you.
          >
          > On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Jasmine Strong <modulararithmetic@...
          > > wrote:
          >
          > > [SMT is] Much easier than the through-hole parts.
          > >

          > So true. If you want something to practice on before you try a radio, I
          > just added a learn-to-solder-SMT kit to my store. It has the unique feature
          > of being designed by a ham: Greg N7VZC
          > http://ae9rb.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=6
          >
          > 73 David AE9RB
          > http://AE9RB.com/

        • N0UR
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 14, 2012
            Tim....thanks. Please contact me at n0ur at yahoo dot com