Re: [softrock40] Kit builders?

  • Jasmine Strong
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012

      For the SMT parts, you should be using ChipQuik flux and a pair of tweezers anyway.  Big ol' hands do not enter into the equation.

      The tacky flux and tweezers make it easy to get the parts in the right place, then it's just a tap with the iron and you're done.  Much easier than the through-hole parts.

      -J.

      On 11 Dec 2012, at 13:57, N0UR <n0ur@...> wrote:

      I am looking at the Softrock RXTX Ensemble kit. With these big ol hands of mine, and not the eye sight I use to have I am not looking forward to building one of these.

      Are there anyone out there who would consider putting one of these together for me. I would be happy pay someone for their time and effort.

      Thanks

      Jim

    • KQ8M
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012

        Sure, I will build it for you.

        73,

        Tim Herrick, KQ8M

        Charter Member North Coast Contesters

        kq8m@...

        AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012
          By any chance, is there a InductorQuik for easily winding toroids?

          Rick

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012

            If only!  I honestly don't believe the argument that hand-wound inductors are better than pre made ones.

            -J.

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012
              On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Rick Simpson <goatguy101@...> wrote:
              By any chance, is there a InductorQuik for easily winding toroids?

              You can ask Mychael Morohovich AA3WF <toroidguy@...> to do it for you.

              On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Jasmine Strong <modulararithmetic@...> wrote:
              [SMT is] Much easier than the through-hole parts.

              So true. If you want something to practice on before you try a radio, I just added a learn-to-solder-SMT kit to my store. It has the unique feature of being designed by a ham: Greg N7VZC

              73 David AE9RB

            • Brent G DeWitt
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 11, 2012

                Maybe worth noting that Radio Shack sells a really inexpensive gel flux that works well.  That said ChipQuick is a really great resource for their desoldering material!!  I make sure to keep a supply available every since I first used it.

                Brent DeWitt

                Milford, MA

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
                  Learn from doing.... my suggestion is to grab one of these throw away electronics out of the trash remove components from the board and then re-solder them to the board. "No harm No foul" its already trash so if you make a mistake dosen't hurt a thing. Play around on the junk and it give you lost of confidence. My break through on caps was to heat one side and slide them with the tweeters into the conection. Wow..... then I didn't need the sticky stuff. I also got better alignment besides it was secure for soldering the other side. So do one side on several caps and then come back and do the other. Well my 2 cents worth.
                  Dean
                  KB7ANL

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Turnbull <dturnbull@...> wrote:

                  > On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Rick Simpson <goatguy101@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > > By any chance, is there a InductorQuik for easily winding toroids?
                  > >

                  > You can ask Mychael Morohovich AA3WF <toroidguy@...> to do it for
                  > you.
                  >
                  > On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Jasmine Strong <modulararithmetic@...
                  > > wrote:
                  >
                  > > [SMT is] Much easier than the through-hole parts.
                  > >

                  > So true. If you want something to practice on before you try a radio, I
                  > just added a learn-to-solder-SMT kit to my store. It has the unique feature
                  > of being designed by a ham: Greg N7VZC
                  > http://ae9rb.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=6
                  >
                  > 73 David AE9RB
                  > http://AE9RB.com/

                • N0UR
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 14, 2012
                    Tim....thanks. Please contact me at n0ur at yahoo dot com