Re: [softrock40] fresh ensemble 2 HF, finished build, plugged in and nothing

  • Justin Cumberland
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012

      i have to work early in the AM ,  but I will try those things, i know that my audio is connected to the line in and I know that its selected because Im getting fuzz and noise when I tune, but im not getting any kind of human noise, But i did not know that the loop was the best for testing and didn't want to get the bow out and run my feed lines before I knew I sucessfully completed the RX .  I am getting a mirrior image on my waterfall tho and I believe my first two binocular coils are not paired correctly, thank you for the helpful advice tho , everyone in the group has been great, this is my first RX and my first build so I was getting a little discouraged

      On Dec 9, 2012 10:23 PM, "MICHAEL TALLENT" <mwtallent@...> wrote:

      Do you have the audio output cable connected to the "line in" on the computer.  If you remove the audio plug from the SDR and touch the pins on the plug do you see a change in the waterfall display on the computer?  Is the line in selected and the volume up in the audio settings on your computer?

      The best simple antenna for testing is a loop.  Take a long piece of insulated wire and form it into a large loop and connect one end into the center pin of the antenna connector and the other end of the wire to the body of the antenna connector.  Hang it on the wall as high as you can get, that should get something.  Do you know what frequencies to listen to at this time of day?

      Mike  W6MXV

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
            Justin,

            Try tuning for WWV on 5 and 10 MHz. What I did when I first got
            started was use Rocky with bands set up so the 5 and 10 MHz
            frequencies were about 10 kHz from the center of the tuning range for
            the Softrock. Once I had that working I calibrated the Si570 with
            CFGSR. Then, after I got familiar with it using Rocky I installed
            HDSDR, and I use that now. Rocky is the simplest program to control
            the Softrock; if you can receive a signal using Rocky you at least
            know the Softrock is operating properly.

            73, Zack W9SZ

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012

              > Try tuning for WWV on 5 and 10 MHz. What I did when I first got
              > started was use Rocky with bands set up so the 5 and 10 MHz
              > frequencies were about 10 kHz from the center of the tuning range for
              > the Softrock. Once I had that working I calibrated the Si570 with
              > CFGSR.

              In fact CFGSR's "Calibrate A" should be used first.
              This reads the factory preset register and makes the calibration close, maybe +/- 40Hz at 10MHz.