Re: [softrock40] fresh ensemble 2 HF, finished build, plugged in and nothing

  • John Greusel
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
      Justin,
      You understand that the USB portion is powered from the computer and isolated from the 12v supply right?
      There are multiple examples of people using the wrong value of resistors below the Attiny, putting the Attiny in backwards or reversing polarity on the diodes. Have you tried listening for the SI570 with an FM radio to see if it's doing anything? what testing have you done? I would switch to HDSDR as your start-up program. PSDR is a good program much much more complex to configure.

      John
      KC9OJV

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
          Justin,
          It's probably working but you're rushing the process.
          First of all you must have an antenna and it must be a type with a ground- the final element in your receiver is a transformer and they don't work well with only one leg connected. One wire in the center of the BNC will do nothing.I would get the antenna setup, install the HDSDR and try again. HDSDR requires a driver in the folder called ExtIO so make sure that's in place. The IQ signal coming down the audio cable is out of phase and you need both channels the get a correct waterfall without symmetry and essentially only half the bandwidth. A non-stereo input will cause symmetry and inverse half the waterfall- USB will be LSB etc.

          John
          KC9OJV

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
            Do you have the audio output cable connected to the "line in" on the computer.  If you remove the audio plug from the SDR and touch the pins on the plug do you see a change in the waterfall display on the computer?  Is the line in selected and the volume up in the audio settings on your computer?

            The best simple antenna for testing is a loop.  Take a long piece of insulated wire and form it into a large loop and connect one end into the center pin of the antenna connector and the other end of the wire to the body of the antenna connector.  Hang it on the wall as high as you can get, that should get something.  Do you know what frequencies to listen to at this time of day?

            Mike  W6MXV
            yea I understand that its separate, when I finished the oscillator step and installed the driver it worked, so after the usb power supply step there is nothing that I could have done anywhere else on the board that affected it being that its isolated from the 12v   thats what im confused about because psdr is throwing signal at me when i turn the radio on in the program but theres no indication as to where this signal is coming from, no i have not tried the radio test, all tests that I have run are just re-running the build note tests from the assembly instructions, my waterfall lights up with bands of signal at center freq and both sides thereof, I stuck a piece of wire in the bnc connector to see if I was actually rx'ing anything significant but no dice.

          • Justin Cumberland
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012

              i have to work early in the AM ,  but I will try those things, i know that my audio is connected to the line in and I know that its selected because Im getting fuzz and noise when I tune, but im not getting any kind of human noise, But i did not know that the loop was the best for testing and didn't want to get the bow out and run my feed lines before I knew I sucessfully completed the RX .  I am getting a mirrior image on my waterfall tho and I believe my first two binocular coils are not paired correctly, thank you for the helpful advice tho , everyone in the group has been great, this is my first RX and my first build so I was getting a little discouraged

              On Dec 9, 2012 10:23 PM, "MICHAEL TALLENT" <mwtallent@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Jasmine Strong

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
                    Justin,

                    Try tuning for WWV on 5 and 10 MHz. What I did when I first got
                    started was use Rocky with bands set up so the 5 and 10 MHz
                    frequencies were about 10 kHz from the center of the tuning range for
                    the Softrock. Once I had that working I calibrated the Si570 with
                    CFGSR. Then, after I got familiar with it using Rocky I installed
                    HDSDR, and I use that now. Rocky is the simplest program to control
                    the Softrock; if you can receive a signal using Rocky you at least
                    know the Softrock is operating properly.

                    73, Zack W9SZ

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
                      > Try tuning for WWV on 5 and 10 MHz. What I did when I first got
                      > started was use Rocky with bands set up so the 5 and 10 MHz
                      > frequencies were about 10 kHz from the center of the tuning range for
                      > the Softrock. Once I had that working I calibrated the Si570 with
                      > CFGSR.

                      In fact CFGSR's "Calibrate A" should be used first.
                      This reads the factory preset register and makes the calibration close, maybe +/- 40Hz at 10MHz.