fresh ensemble 2 HF, finished build, plugged in and nothing

  • justin
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
      Greetings, this is my first SDR build, the softrock ensemble 2 HF setup, Just finished build, plugged it into my PC and there is no acknowledgement of its presence, all drivers and software loaded properly and the device manager sees the usb driver when I plug it in to the usb port, but other than that im getting nothing, ive ran a few of the build note tests, and most are inconclusive, any help would be greatly appreciated.
      thank you
      best regards
      Justin
    • John Greusel
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
        Justin,
        what were you expecting it to do?
        What applications are you attempting to use?

        John
        KC9OJV

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
            Justin,
            You understand that the USB portion is powered from the computer and isolated from the 12v supply right?
            There are multiple examples of people using the wrong value of resistors below the Attiny, putting the Attiny in backwards or reversing polarity on the diodes. Have you tried listening for the SI570 with an FM radio to see if it's doing anything? what testing have you done? I would switch to HDSDR as your start-up program. PSDR is a good program much much more complex to configure.

            John
            KC9OJV

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
                Justin,
                It's probably working but you're rushing the process.
                First of all you must have an antenna and it must be a type with a ground- the final element in your receiver is a transformer and they don't work well with only one leg connected. One wire in the center of the BNC will do nothing.I would get the antenna setup, install the HDSDR and try again. HDSDR requires a driver in the folder called ExtIO so make sure that's in place. The IQ signal coming down the audio cable is out of phase and you need both channels the get a correct waterfall without symmetry and essentially only half the bandwidth. A non-stereo input will cause symmetry and inverse half the waterfall- USB will be LSB etc.

                John
                KC9OJV

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
                  Do you have the audio output cable connected to the "line in" on the computer.  If you remove the audio plug from the SDR and touch the pins on the plug do you see a change in the waterfall display on the computer?  Is the line in selected and the volume up in the audio settings on your computer?

                  The best simple antenna for testing is a loop.  Take a long piece of insulated wire and form it into a large loop and connect one end into the center pin of the antenna connector and the other end of the wire to the body of the antenna connector.  Hang it on the wall as high as you can get, that should get something.  Do you know what frequencies to listen to at this time of day?

                  Mike  W6MXV

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012

                    i have to work early in the AM ,  but I will try those things, i know that my audio is connected to the line in and I know that its selected because Im getting fuzz and noise when I tune, but im not getting any kind of human noise, But i did not know that the loop was the best for testing and didn't want to get the bow out and run my feed lines before I knew I sucessfully completed the RX .  I am getting a mirrior image on my waterfall tho and I believe my first two binocular coils are not paired correctly, thank you for the helpful advice tho , everyone in the group has been great, this is my first RX and my first build so I was getting a little discouraged

                    On Dec 9, 2012 10:23 PM, "MICHAEL TALLENT" <mwtallent@...> wrote:

[...]

                  • Jasmine Strong

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
                          Justin,

                          Try tuning for WWV on 5 and 10 MHz. What I did when I first got
                          started was use Rocky with bands set up so the 5 and 10 MHz
                          frequencies were about 10 kHz from the center of the tuning range for
                          the Softrock. Once I had that working I calibrated the Si570 with
                          CFGSR. Then, after I got familiar with it using Rocky I installed
                          HDSDR, and I use that now. Rocky is the simplest program to control
                          the Softrock; if you can receive a signal using Rocky you at least
                          know the Softrock is operating properly.

                          73, Zack W9SZ

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012

                            > Try tuning for WWV on 5 and 10 MHz. What I did when I first got
                            > started was use Rocky with bands set up so the 5 and 10 MHz
                            > frequencies were about 10 kHz from the center of the tuning range for
                            > the Softrock. Once I had that working I calibrated the Si570 with
                            > CFGSR.

                            In fact CFGSR's "Calibrate A" should be used first.
                            This reads the factory preset register and makes the calibration close, maybe +/- 40Hz at 10MHz.