Re: [softrock40] softrock or any other SDR used with an Atom

  • Jasmine Strong
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 7, 2012

      If you're choosing a machine to run this, I'd recommend the AMD E450 over the Atom as it has significantly better floating point performance (important for FFTs) compared to anything on the Atom.

      -J.

      On Dec 7, 2012, at 6:00 PM, John Greusel <greusel@...> wrote:

      Ben,

      I use a Acer Aspire One netbook as my main computer for SDR use.
      I run Fldigi, HDSDR, PSDR and WSPR. I do note that when I try PSDR and FLdigi together for digital modes PSDR will often crash. I've found that Fldigi/HDSDR works better for this modest computer configuration. PSDR works fine as a stand alone program. I have maxed out the ram and just today installed a SSD.

      John
      KC9OJV

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 7, 2012

        Warren ARS W8TOD/BG1,

        Thanks for your candor and glad to hear your results. I’m trying to decide what I am going to do with a CarPuter or an Atom navigation system. Since I’m planning on using some SDR for when I am traveling I’m leaning for the CarPuter  with something like an I5 processor. $749, plus all the audio, dvd, touch screen and other things I will be using it in. Not planning for while driving, but for some stay’s for long trips or when I am a passenger…LOL…

        Ben ARS w4qed

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 8, 2012
          Hi Ben,

          Have a look at these videos with Atom

          -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4fgLr7RL24

          -> http://www.youtube.com/user/sv1eia

          73,
          Christos SV1EIA

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Benny D. Miller Jr." <w4qed@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >

          > Anyone using Atom processors in their computer for SDR work? Just not sure
          > if they had the power necessary to do a reasonable job of producing a Pan
          > display?
          >

          > Ben ARS w4qed

        • MIKE DURKIN
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 8, 2012
            I like the touchscreen! !!

            What flavor of windows was that .....?

            Mike KC7NOA

            To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
            From: sv1eia@...
            Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 13:21:22 +0000

            Hi Ben,

            Have a look at these videos with Atom

            -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4fgLr7RL24

            -> http://www.youtube.com/user/sv1eia

            73,
            Christos SV1EIA

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Benny D. Miller Jr." <w4qed@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >

            > Anyone using Atom processors in their computer for SDR work? Just not sure
            > if they had the power necessary to do a reasonable job of producing a Pan
            > display?
            >

            > Ben ARS w4qed

          • sv1eia
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 9, 2012
              Operating system Windows 7 32bit

              PowerSDR-IQ USB2SDR and Rx module on 10m contest with 192KHz view.
              CPU Atom D525/ION2, 10"LCD Touch.
              All systems 12V powered.

              73,
              Christos SV1EIA