KX3 and Si570 tuneing step noise

  • kcmuthumani
    Message 1 of 34 , Dec 7, 2012
      Hi all,

      I have been thinking of getting a new radio for a long while now. While looking at the options I noticed that the Elecraft KX3 uses the same si570 chip as the main VFO.

      While watching videos on Youtube for the KX3 I saw then when you tune the receiver there is no chuging sound as the Si570 tunes in a large step as it does in the Softrock receievrs, how do they do this ? or am I missing something.

      Kelvin
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 4, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] Re: KX3 and Si570 tuneing step noise

        > I have built some three standalone SI570 based oscillators and they all suffer from tuning noise, as you claim.
        >
        > I have built another one who claimS to have eliminated this noise, but I have not tested it yet. He claims to have adjusted the
        > Freeze M DCO:

        Paul,

        Please let us know when you have tested this.

        And may I remind anyone with a recent Softrock with a Si570 manufactured since the beginning of 2011 that an AVR USB controller with
        V 15.15 firmware has the Freeze_M feature. The AVR would need replacing because Tony still uses V 15.12. Fred would be very
        interested if this could be tested.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ