Re: UHFSDR vs. Softrock RXTX

  • Jsoel
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
      si570 - I'm understanding more already. Thanks. So many good options
      for SDR it's hard to narrow down. My goal is to just get on the air
      with limited funds before committing to more expensive hardware (if even
      necessary). Plus I love the idea of homebrew. Now if I can only find
      more time for all these projects...

      Any other opinions? Both are great hardware. I've also seen info on
      the Peaberry which does not need a soundcard. 48kHz is narrower, but
      anyone know how the processing compares to using a good soundcard on the
      softrock. From what I've read soundcards work but have limitations
      since they are made for the audible spectrum.

      Joel
      K6JPT

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, MIKE DURKIN <Patriot121@...> wrote:

      > Using a class "A" si570 will get you 1.7mhz to ~680mhz ...
      > C or B not as high in freq ...

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
        Jsoel:
          The operating frequency is 1/2 of the Si570 frequency.  The Si570 is available in 3 speed grades.  In addition, several output options (CMOS, LVPECL, LVDS, etc) are available.  The UHFSDR will work with LVPECL or LVDS, but NOT CMOS.

        Dave - WB6DHW
        <http://wb6dhw.com>

        On 12/6/2012 3:53 PM, Jsoel wrote:

        Does a particular Si570 lock you into a specific range or will
        installing that chip still allow the full range of operating
        frequencies? (Ahem, I'm sure my inexperience is showing now). Frequency
        range aside, it sounds as if the UHFSDR will cost quite a bit more for
        comparable capabilities as the Softrock, due to the need for additional
        parts.

        Thanks for the responses so far.

        Joel
        K6JPT

      • The Silver Fox
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012

          The big cost factor in the UHFSDR is the Si570.  Another plus is that there are no cores to wind.  While the cost is higher, you are getting what you pay for in terms of unit quality.  There is hardly any markup in the cost of the kit versus buying them on your own.  The UHFSDR is not designed to compete with the Softrock kits but understand that it is a base for operating on many bands versus the few in the softrocks.

          73,

          Alan – W6ARH

          Mobokits http://mobokits.stormwarning.org/

          UHFSDR Full Kit http://wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
            Thanks for all your input. I appreciate the additional info. I have much more food for thought!

            Joel
            K6JPT

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "The Silver Fox" <alan.r.hill@...> wrote:

            > The big cost factor in the UHFSDR is the Si570. Another plus is that there
            > are no cores to wind. While the cost is higher, you are getting what you
            > pay for in terms of unit quality. There is hardly any markup in the cost of
            > the kit versus buying them on your own. The UHFSDR is not designed to
            > compete with the Softrock kits but understand that it is a base for
            > operating on many bands versus the few in the softrocks.
            >
            > 73,
            >
            > Alan - W6ARH
            >

            > Mobokits http://mobokits.stormwarning.org/
            >
            > UHFSDR Full Kit http://wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html

          • yl2gqn
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
              What about comparing RX parameters? Do you have any numbers or subjective impressions?

              Regards,
              Andy. YL2QN

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "The Silver Fox" <alan.r.hill@...> wrote:

              > The big cost factor in the UHFSDR is the Si570. Another plus is that there
              > are no cores to wind. While the cost is higher, you are getting what you
              > pay for in terms of unit quality. There is hardly any markup in the cost of
              > the kit versus buying them on your own. The UHFSDR is not designed to
              > compete with the Softrock kits but understand that it is a base for
              > operating on many bands versus the few in the softrocks.
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > Alan - W6ARH
              >

              > Mobokits http://mobokits.stormwarning.org/
              >
              > UHFSDR Full Kit http://wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html

            • Jim Sanford
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
                One more thought on the topic:
                1.  I have both UHFSDR and Softrocks.  Each is good for certain things.
                2.  The beauty of the UHFSDR, with it's wide coverage, is it is an ideal IF for my microwave stuff.  It frees me from the tyranny of having to buy expensive crystals to move my "brick" LOs.  Take them as they are, and let the software calculate offset, which can be anything, not just 2m, 70cm, etc.  I can also build one single low-noise 100MHz oscillator, lock it to GPS, and multiply up to the microwave LOs.  It lets me obey the "IF >= 10% of RF" thumbrule.  It's absence of bandpass filtering is a plus -- I put the filtering in the individual transverters.  Once I am satisfied with my integration and comfortable with using the software, I will probably buy another one for a rover setup.
                Good luckd!
                73,
                Jim
                wb4gcs@...

                On 12/7/2012 12:23 AM, Jsoel wrote:

                Thanks for all your input. I appreciate the additional info. I have much more food for thought!

                Joel
                K6JPT

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "The Silver Fox" <alan.r.hill@...> wrote:

                > The big cost factor in the UHFSDR is the Si570. Another plus is that there
                > are no cores to wind. While the cost is higher, you are getting what you
                > pay for in terms of unit quality. There is hardly any markup in the cost of
                > the kit versus buying them on your own. The UHFSDR is not designed to
                > compete with the Softrock kits but understand that it is a base for
                > operating on many bands versus the few in the softrocks.
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > Alan - W6ARH
                >

                > Mobokits http://mobokits.stormwarning.org/
                >
                > UHFSDR Full Kit http://wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html

              • Sid Boyce
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
                  Here is a post from August 2010 when I asked Ben for more details. Files and photos are on the AQRP group. ben has used the UHFSDR2Go successfully in contests with pleasing performance.

                  Ben has not posted any details of the preselector/PA side of his setup but may on request who no one has done.

                  I've yet to complete the setup of the SDR2GO(Look Ma, no sound card) before connecting it up to the UHFSDR.

                  Besides Ben a number or guys on the UHFSDR and AQRP groups run the UHFSDR2GO.
                  Thanks for the nice comments!

                  TWO different kit-boards.
                  SDR2GO Beta Kit is available from K5BCQ...
                  UHFSDR Kit is available from WB6DHW...
                  The UHFSDR2GO is my concatenation...

                  Below are my preliminary measurements and are operational only, not
                  specifications.

                  * The radio draws 375 mA, in receive, from the internal 12 Volt Battery.
                  (No PA Deck.)
                  * What is shown in the photos, so far, works as expected.
                  * SDR2GO was previously ckd out, it's only providing 'CSDA' & 'CSCL' for
                  the ADUM1251 & Si 570 at the moment.
                  * -100 dBm into UHFSDR makes nice tone on the 'I' or "Q" out of UHFSDR.
                  * I/Q audio input to UHFSDR-P6 makes about +18 dBm out of the SAMA
                  connector at 450 MHz.

                  I have several pesky cables to make next before a more in depth check out.
                  ISSUES THAT I SAW:
                  $ The 1K pull up's on the UHFSDR are too low for the 2N7000's to swing
                  properly, out of dVdT spec. Removed 1K's, R11 & R14 on pull up's on the
                  SDR2GO seem adequate.
                  $ Large frequency jumps when tuning from 472,000.000 to 473,000.000 Not
                  investigated yet. May still have marginal clock drive issue. Works fine
                  on the Ham Bands form 40m thru 70cm.
                  $ The requirement for capacity coupling I/Q to-from the CODEC is satisfied
                  within the UHFSDR design.

                  Best 73's
                  de NO5K
                  73 ... Sid.

                  --
                  Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                  Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support