RE: [softrock40] Re: Unrecognized device.

  • KQ8M
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012

      Thanks Alan,

      I have done all the resistance checks and everything is fine. I will try to replace the 2 zeners and see.

      73,

      Tim Herrick, KQ8M

      Charter Member North Coast Contesters

      kq8m@...

      AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012

        Well, I have replaced the 2 zeners and that didn't help. So I took out all the resistors and ended up replace the 1M resister at R4. The receiver is now working. Strange as the resistor I pulled out measures correctly. Oh well, it works.

        73,

        Tim Herrick, KQ8M

        Charter Member North Coast Contesters

        kq8m@...

        AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

        > Thanks for the reply. The hard part I have is I can unplug this one and plug in another one and it works fine. Unplug that and
        > then
        > plug in the one I am building and it is unrecognized. Oh yes, also unrecognized when plugged in to another computer.

        Tim,

        There must be something in the small amount of components and printed circuit that is causing this.
        Take out the AVR.
        Get a resistance meter.
        Look carefully at the schematic and measure the resistance between every point you can see that is between the socket and
        USB/power/ground. These schematic should give you an idea of what you should see.
        Look for short circuits, or maybe no circuit.
        Maybe there is a whisker of PCB material left there, or even a break.
        Just possibly the zeners may be faulty.
        Ask if you are not sure.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

      • Parks, Tony
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
          Hi Tim,

          This morning when I completed the build of an RX Ensemble II receiver I too could not communicate with the board.

          It turned out that there was a short to ground at pin 2 of the the USB connector or perhaps the short was at the R2 lead or the cathode lead of D2 that connect to pin 2 of the connector.  Even with a very careful look using good lighting and magnification I could not see any circuit board flaw.  I finally used a sharp pointed tool to scratch around the three pads on the board and that cleared the problem.  There must have been a very narrow copper "trace" at one of the pads.

          Since August I have built more than 100 RX Ensemble II receives and there has been two occurrence of a pad being shorted to ground with a very narrow, nearly invisible, "trace".

          I am happy to hear that your receiver is now woking.

          73,
          Tony KB9YIG