RE: [softrock40] Unrecognized device.

  • KQ8M
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012

      Alan, it was tough but I fit the board in the socket. Lol

      28.2 well 28.1 something.

      73,

      Tim Herrick, KQ8M

      Charter Member North Coast Contesters

      kq8m@...

      AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
        I get the same error message with perfectly working Ensemble RX II. The trick that works for me is to unplug the USB mouse (and other Human Interface Devices, if present), then plug in the Softrock, then plug in the mouse again.

        73, Mike

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "KQ8M" <kq8m@...> wrote:

        > I am building this ensemble RX II. I am at the oscillator stage. When I plug in the USB cable I get the dreaded Unrecognized device
        > error. I have tried another attiny. Even tried in another ensemble and it works fine in the other but still the error. I am getting
        > the proper Oscillator freq out of the SI570 that tells me it is setting the SI to the default freq. I am getting 2.176v on D1 and
        > 2.683 on D2. I have check resistor values and they are all correct. I have the proper resistance reading from the USB connector data
        > lines to the attiny socket. There is not much there but something is wrong.
        >

        > I have been pulling my hair out for several days. I am asking if anyone has any other ideas.
        >

        > 73,
        >
        > Tim Herrick, KQ8M
        >
        > Charter Member North Coast Contesters
        >
        > kq8m@...
        >

        > AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org
        >
        > User Ports: 23, 7373 with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer
        >
        > Server Ports: V6 3607, V4 Active 3605, V4 Passive 3606

      • The Silver Fox
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012

          Other have this problem all the time.  I go through month long bouts with Windows failing to load drivers.  This happens on Windows 7 and I have never had it happen with XP.  I recently upgraded my XP machine to Win 8 and behold it exhibited the same symptom of driver failures.  Uninstalling the device and re-scanning always fixes it.  This is not the same as USB not being recognized but may contribute to the symptoms.  It is my opinion that the USB unrecognized is a combination of driver selection and the hidden device cache in Windows.

          73,

          Alan – W6ARH

          Mobokits http://mobokits.stormwarning.org/

          UHFSDR Full Kit http://wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012

            Mike and Alan,

            Thanks for the reply. The hard part I have is I can unplug this one and plug in another one and it works fine. Unplug that and then plug in the one  I am building and it is unrecognized. Oh yes, also unrecognized when plugged in to another computer.

            73,

            Tim Herrick, KQ8M

            Charter Member North Coast Contesters

            kq8m@...

            AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

            I get the same error message with perfectly working Ensemble RX II. The trick that works for me is to unplug the USB mouse (and other Human Interface Devices, if present), then plug in the Softrock, then plug in the mouse again.

            73, Mike

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "KQ8M" <kq8m@...> wrote:

            > I am building this ensemble RX II. I am at the oscillator stage. When I plug in the USB cable I get the dreaded Unrecognized device
            > error. I have tried another attiny. Even tried in another ensemble and it works fine in the other but still the error. I am getting
            > the proper Oscillator freq out of the SI570 that tells me it is setting the SI to the default freq. I am getting 2.176v on D1 and
            > 2.683 on D2. I have check resistor values and they are all correct. I have the proper resistance reading from the USB connector data
            > lines to the attiny socket. There is not much there but something is wrong.
            >

            > I have been pulling my hair out for several days. I am asking if anyone has any other ideas.
            >

            > 73,
            >
            > Tim Herrick, KQ8M
            >
            > Charter Member North Coast Contesters
            >
            > kq8m@...
            >

            > AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org
            >
            > User Ports: 23, 7373 with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer
            >
            > Server Ports: V6 3607, V4 Active 3605, V4 Passive 3606

          • John Greusel
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
              Could a malfunctioning voltage reg be loading down the USB beyond functioning?

              John
              KC9OJV

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012

                I had the same problem a long while ago and asked why the USB device did not behave on plugging it in to a computer that it had never been plugged into.  What I found was if I plugged it into a Linux box that recognized it without issue, I could return it to the windows box and it would be recognized.  Therefore, I concluded that something is exchanged between the computer and the device that is retained on the device.  I did receive a couple of messages confirming my assertion but there were not enough to convince me.  Good luck.

                Alan – W6ARH

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012

                  > Thanks for the reply. The hard part I have is I can unplug this one and plug in another one and it works fine. Unplug that and
                  > then
                  > plug in the one I am building and it is unrecognized. Oh yes, also unrecognized when plugged in to another computer.

                  Tim,

                  There must be something in the small amount of components and printed circuit that is causing this.
                  Take out the AVR.
                  Get a resistance meter.
                  Look carefully at the schematic and measure the resistance between every point you can see that is between the socket and
                  USB/power/ground. These schematic should give you an idea of what you should see.
                  Look for short circuits, or maybe no circuit.
                  Maybe there is a whisker of PCB material left there, or even a break.
                  Just possibly the zeners may be faulty.
                  Ask if you are not sure.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012

                    >I had the same problem a long while ago and asked why the USB device did not behave on plugging it in to a computer that it had
                    >never been plugged into. What I found was if I plugged it into a Linux box that recognized it without issue, I could return it to
                    >the windows box and it would be recognized. Therefore, I concluded that something is exchanged between the computer and the device
                    >that is retained on the device. I did receive a couple of messages confirming my assertion but there were not enough to convince
                    >me.

                    Alan,

                    You also had a message from me that said that nothing would know how to write anything sensible to the AVR.
                    Anything that did would need interaction.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • KQ8M
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012

                      Thanks Alan,

                      I have done all the resistance checks and everything is fine. I will try to replace the 2 zeners and see.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012

                        Well, I have replaced the 2 zeners and that didn't help. So I took out all the resistors and ended up replace the 1M resister at R4. The receiver is now working. Strange as the resistor I pulled out measures correctly. Oh well, it works.

                        73,

                        Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                        Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                        kq8m@...

                        AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                        > Thanks for the reply. The hard part I have is I can unplug this one and plug in another one and it works fine. Unplug that and
                        > then
                        > plug in the one I am building and it is unrecognized. Oh yes, also unrecognized when plugged in to another computer.

                        Tim,

                        There must be something in the small amount of components and printed circuit that is causing this.
                        Take out the AVR.
                        Get a resistance meter.
                        Look carefully at the schematic and measure the resistance between every point you can see that is between the socket and
                        USB/power/ground. These schematic should give you an idea of what you should see.
                        Look for short circuits, or maybe no circuit.
                        Maybe there is a whisker of PCB material left there, or even a break.
                        Just possibly the zeners may be faulty.
                        Ask if you are not sure.

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ

                      • Parks, Tony
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
                          Hi Tim,

                          This morning when I completed the build of an RX Ensemble II receiver I too could not communicate with the board.

                          It turned out that there was a short to ground at pin 2 of the the USB connector or perhaps the short was at the R2 lead or the cathode lead of D2 that connect to pin 2 of the connector.  Even with a very careful look using good lighting and magnification I could not see any circuit board flaw.  I finally used a sharp pointed tool to scratch around the three pads on the board and that cleared the problem.  There must have been a very narrow copper "trace" at one of the pads.

                          Since August I have built more than 100 RX Ensemble II receives and there has been two occurrence of a pad being shorted to ground with a very narrow, nearly invisible, "trace".

                          I am happy to hear that your receiver is now woking.

                          73,
                          Tony KB9YIG