Softrock 40 with FT-1000MP

  • Iain
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2012
      I have come across an old article by VK6VZ discussing how to use a softrock40 as a bandscope for an FT-1000MP.
      However the article is a bit limited on how to modify the Softrock to use an 11Mhz xtal 1/3 subharmonic sampling

      Could anyone please point me in the dirction of more info on how to modify the Softrock V6

      Thanks Iain G4DPF
    • ki4gsf
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2012
        Iain,

        I recently built the softrock lite II for such use with my IC761 which uses a 9Mhz Second IF. The crystal I used was 11.981 Mhz and I built it using the 30 Meter instructions. My sugestion is to build it per the 30 Meter Intructions and pay care attention to the winding of T1.

        It was my first winding experience and if not done correctly it WILL effect the sensitivity.

        Scott - NZ4AA

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Iain" <iain@...> wrote:

        > I have come across an old article by VK6VZ discussing how to use a softrock40 as a bandscope for an FT-1000MP.
        > However the article is a bit limited on how to modify the Softrock to use an 11Mhz xtal 1/3 subharmonic sampling
        >
        > Could anyone please point me in the dirction of more info on how to modify the Softrock V6
        >
        > Thanks Iain G4DPF

      • rjvassarjr
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2012
          Hi Iain

          Tony Parks has the SoftRock Lite II Combined Receiver Kit for $21 that can be purchased with one of several additional crystals to allow processing of different IF frequencies. Some crystal/IF frequency combinations also require some cap/component changes to properly filter the intended Softrock operating frequency.

          See:
          http://fivedash.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=5
          And:
          http://fivedash.com/resource/IFLiteIIMods.pdf

          I just received my kit with an extra crystal at 14.2764 MHz that will produce a 10.707 3rd order harmonic to process a 10.685 IF from a TS590.

          The Softrock operating frequency is offset from the intended IF to provide a cleaner spectral display.

          Also just receiver a Z10000 Buffer/Amp from Clifton Labs to isolate the RF noise generated by the Softrock from getting into the Kenwood's IF stages. That was $24.95 plus another $23.40 for interconnecting coaxes and some bits and pieces. The extra bucks will allow a clean installation of the buffer inside the rig.

          See:
          http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/z10000_buffer_amp.htm
          And:
          http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/softrock_lite_6_2.htm

          Another approach is to have an SDR track your rig or your rig track an SDR.

          See:
          http://www.crystalradio.us/projects/ts-590s-panadaptor.htm
          And:
          http://www.crystalradio.us/projects/ts-590s-rx-mod.htm

          Also, Ian Wade, G3NRW, has a great TS-590 resource page that includes an SDR/HF Rig configuration running in tandem as a Pan Adapter.

          See:
          http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/HOWTO_TS-590S_with_SDR_IQ.pdf

          A little pricy to implement but clean and no modifications to the rig.

          Hope this helps

          73
          Russ, ka1ruw