Re: Confused about what I hear on the air with an Ensemble II receiver

  • jfail11
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2012
      Thanks for the help Alan and Ignacio. It has been beneficial. Is there a rule of thumb for how far to place the LO from the desired tuning frequency?

      > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Confused about what I hear on the air with an Ensemble II receiver
      >

      > > My thanks to all for the input. Apparently the Realtek Line-Input on my computer is not really stereo. I moved to the mic jack
      > > with a stereo cable (the same one that was in use on the line-in jack) and the dual images disappeared.
      >
      > If that really is Line input it should be stereo. Are you sure that some mixer setting is not wrong?
      >
      > But then I started having hum problems which I assume are group loops but have not been able to run down the source of the ground
      > loop yet, tricky!!.
      >
      > The microphone input is usually far too sensitive. If you have to use it look for a way of turning off the preamplifier in the mixer
      > settings.
      >

      > > Perhaps I am not understanding how to use the LO as opposed to not needing it. Yes, I find as suggested moving the LO makes the
      > > major carrier move away but that strikes me as odd. Will a better sound card reduce that carrier?
      >
      > With all soundcard SDR you need to avoid the centre where the spike is. Some cards have a very small spike but you still have to
      > avoid the centre.
      >
      > >Do other SDR's exist (within reasonable price) that do not require a sound card, don't have the LO thing and work with HDSDR.
      >
      > Many manage soundcard SDR without complaint. I'd say get used to it.
      > The Softrock is a cheap introduction that works surprisingly well.
      > HDSDR is basically soundcard software. It does work with a cheap dongle, but I do not know any more apart from the fact that has a
      > centre area that should be avoided.
      > Many direct sampling SDRs have to be used with custom software.
      >

      > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

    • Dave Cole
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2012
        I have been following this as well... I am most interested in how to
        tune this little rig...
        --
        73's and Thanks,
        Dave

        On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 15:23 +0000, jfail11 wrote:
        > My thanks to all for the input. Apparently the Realtek Line-Input on my computer is not really stereo. I moved to the mic jack with a stereo cable (the same one that was in use on the line-in jack) and the dual images disappeared. But then I started having hum problems which I assume are group loops but have not been able to run down the source of the ground loop yet, tricky!!.
        >
        > I tried a Diamond USB external sound card and used the line-in jack on it and all was ok, no double images, no hum.
        >
        > Perhaps I am not understanding how to use the LO as opposed to not needing it. Yes, I find as suggested moving the LO makes the major carrier move away but that strikes me as odd. Will a better sound card reduce that carrier? Do other SDR's exist (within reasonable price) that do not require a sound card, don't have the LO thing and work with HDSDR. I am so new to this that I find myself confused by the LO business. I looked at the SDR-IQ which says it does not need a sound card and it is reasonable in price.
        >
        > Again, my thanks to all for the enlightenment.

      • MIKE DURKIN
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2012
          Id say not really .. depends on your spikes ....

          I set my offset enough to keep soundcard spikes out when running USB or LSB ....

          To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
          From: jfail1@...
          Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 16:57:37 +0000
          Subject: [softrock40] Re: Confused about what I hear on the air with an Ensemble II receiver