Ensemble & CW Skimmer Questions

  • Paul Mackanos - K2DB
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2012

      I sent this note to Alex of DX Atlas, but also thought someone here has already figured this out, can anyone help ?

      Paul K2DB

      Is there any way that skimmer software can control the Si570 Chip in our clubs Softrock Ensemble?

      We had a problem over the CQ WW CW weekend, we lost power, the computer and skimmer and agreggator came back up on line fine.

      The problem was, that the Si570 chip was set for 7.04765 as default, and we had the skimmer on 10 meters. I got an e-mail from K3LR and W2FU

      Saying that the W2RDX skimmer was spotting 40 meter spots on 10 meters. They were correct, when I checked, the skimmer came back up

      with frequency of 2804765. I did change it, but, wow it would be great if just changing the frequency in skimmer would also change the Si570 chip?

      Just a thought.

      Paul K2DB

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble & CW Skimmer Questions

        >I sent this note to Alex of DX Atlas, but also thought someone here has
        > already figured this out, can anyone help ?

        Paul,

        I do not know if it is possible.

        If it is not one way round it may be to use CFGSR to set the Si570 startup frequency.

        73 alan G4ZFQ

        > Is there any way that skimmer software can control the Si570 Chip in our
        > clubs Softrock Ensemble?
        >
        > We had a problem over the CQ WW CW weekend, we lost power, the computer and
        > skimmer and agreggator came back up on line fine.
        >
        > The problem was, that the Si570 chip was set for 7.04765 as default, and we
        > had the skimmer on 10 meters. I got an e-mail from K3LR and W2FU
        >
        > Saying that the W2RDX skimmer was spotting 40 meter spots on 10 meters. They
        > were correct, when I checked, the skimmer came back up
        >
        > with frequency of 2804765. I did change it, but, wow it would be great if
        > just changing the frequency in skimmer would also change the Si570 chip?

      • pmackanos
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2012
          Yes, I set the CFGSR to default to 7.04765, that is the problem, if we had the skimmer software on 40 meters with a set up of 704765, all would have been ok, but apparently CW Skimmer writes an .ini file and when we lost the power, it came back up at 2804765, the last place we had skimmer working.
          Paul K2DB

          > Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble & CW Skimmer Questions
          >

          > >I sent this note to Alex of DX Atlas, but also thought someone here has
          > > already figured this out, can anyone help ?
          >
          > Paul,
          >
          > I do not know if it is possible.
          >
          > If it is not one way round it may be to use CFGSR to set the Si570 startup frequency.
          >
          > 73 alan G4ZFQ
          >
          > > Is there any way that skimmer software can control the Si570 Chip in our
          > > clubs Softrock Ensemble?
          > >
          > > We had a problem over the CQ WW CW weekend, we lost power, the computer and
          > > skimmer and agreggator came back up on line fine.
          > >
          > > The problem was, that the Si570 chip was set for 7.04765 as default, and we
          > > had the skimmer on 10 meters. I got an e-mail from K3LR and W2FU
          > >
          > > Saying that the W2RDX skimmer was spotting 40 meter spots on 10 meters. They
          > > were correct, when I checked, the skimmer came back up
          > >
          > > with frequency of 2804765. I did change it, but, wow it would be great if
          > > just changing the frequency in skimmer would also change the Si570 chip?

        • KQ8M
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2012

            Skimmer does not read the frequency of the Si570 at all. You set it up and it is saved to the skimmers INI as you said. Go into CFGSR and in the Si570 tab set the default frequency and click save. This will ensure the skimmer and ensemble both come back up to the same frequency. I run 8 of them and have had no problem.

            On occasion I have had to power down t he Ensemble to reset it as it would be listening on another band even though it was set for something else. The only thing I can figure is some glitch came down the USB cable and told the AVR and Si570 something weird and it became confused. A reset fixed it. I have since gone to internal power for the USB and it no longer does that.

            73,

            Tim Herrick, KQ8M

            Charter Member North Coast Contesters

            kq8m@...

            AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2012
              Well, it would need setting every time.

              BUT a quick search seems to suggest that it IS possible for Skimmer to set the Si570.
              Is it that it will not do it on start-up?

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2012

                Tim,

                That is correct, only I did not set the Si570. I routinely change the skimmer from band to band, but do not go in and set the CFGSR to default to that band each time.

                I guess I will have to do that each time now.

                I did get this reply back from Alex:

                Hi Paul,

                Currently CW Skimmer cannot control the Ensemble radio. I am re-working the whole Skimmer's interface to the hardware, in the new version every radio will have a separate dll, and the hardware makers will be able to create their own dll's for their radios. In this modular design it will be easy to add new functionality for any radio, but until that work is finished I cannot add any hardware control functions.

                73 Alex VE3NEA

                So it looks like a bright spot in the future !!

                Paul K2DB

                Re: Ensemble & CW Skimmer Questions

                Sat Dec 1, 2012 9:24 am (PST) . Posted by:

                "KQ8M" KQ8M

[...]

                User Ports: 23, 7373 with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer

              • KQ8M
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2012

                  Thanks for that info Paul. That will mean it will be up to a good coder to write a DLL for the Ensembles. Last time I asked Alex all I got back was an answer of no and not going to do it. Very terse.