Re: [softrock40] 1st stage testing

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
      Subject: [softrock40] 1st stage testing

      > Just started assembly and finished the power supply stage and started the 1st test. I end up the a reading of 4.92k ohms. I've
      > viewed my work thru a magnifier and don't see any solder bridges. Any insights?

      No, what are you building?

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • James Curtis
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
        IMMEDIATELY after I posted the question I realized what I had done wrong and I tried to delete the post.  I've got things on track now.  Thanks for responding to my need.
        73 Jim N8HAM

        > Just started assembly and finished the power supply stage and started the 1st test. I end up the a reading of 4.92k ohms. I've
        > viewed my work thru a magnifier and don't see any solder bridges. Any insights?

        No, what are you building?

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

      • Dave Cole
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
          People got's to know...

          What were you building, and what was wrong?
          --
          73's and Thanks,
          Dave

          On Thu, 2012-11-29 at 12:23 -0800, James Curtis wrote:

          > IMMEDIATELY after I posted the question I realized what I had done
          > wrong and I tried to delete the post. I've got things on track now.
          > Thanks for responding to my need.
          > 73 Jim N8HAM

        • Dave Watson
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012

            Funny how a post to a group can do that to your brain... Can't count the number of times this has happened to me. It's like it kicks your brain in gear and the answer just falls out.

            Dave (W4DJW)

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
              Ok---It's such a beginners mistake!  The kit is the RXTX Ensemble.  I was being so careful  with the polarity of the capacitors in the 1st stage and even with the well marked board I soldered the voltage regulator in backwards.  I was so intent on looking for solder bridges that I didn't take a close look at the placement of the parts.  You can bet that I'll look twice before I solder again!!!
              73 Jim N8HAM

              What were you building, and what was wrong?
              --
              73's and Thanks,
              Dave
              http://www.nk7z.net for equipment reviews, propagation, and more...

              On Thu, 2012-11-29 at 12:23 -0800, James Curtis wrote:

              > IMMEDIATELY after I posted the question I realized what I had done
              > wrong and I tried to delete the post. I've got things on track now.
              > Thanks for responding to my need.
              > 73 Jim N8HAM

            • Jasmine Strong
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012

                Once emails are sent, they're sent and can't be deleted.  This has come as a surprise to many people.

                -J.

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
                  Hi,

                  Not a beginners mistake... Much like looking for a code mistake for two
                  weeks, only to have a co-worker spend 3 minutes looking and discover an
                  additional comma in the code... Happened to me about 10 years ago, and
                  I never have forgotten it.
                  --

                  On Thu, 2012-11-29 at 15:17 -0800, James Curtis wrote:

                  > Ok---It's such a beginners mistake! The kit is the RXTX Ensemble. I
                  > was being so careful with the polarity of the capacitors in the 1st
                  > stage and even with the well marked board I soldered the voltage
                  > regulator in backwards. I was so intent on looking for solder bridges
                  > that I didn't take a close look at the placement of the parts. You
                  > can bet that I'll look twice before I solder again!!!
                  > 73 Jim N8HAM

                • R. R. (Robby) Robson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 30, 2012
                    We had a guy - a very sharp guy - in one of our buildathons install a transistor instead of the voltage regulator.  They were both in the same packaging and the lettering was quire faint.  We spent a great deal of time chasing down various theories concerning what went wrong before discovering the real cause.  And we have yet to let him forget that incident.

                    --
                    Cheers,
                    Robby

                    Richard R. (Robby) Robson