How to transmit with RX/TX, HDSDR, FLDIGI, and an EMU0202?

  • Thomas Bewick
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 28, 2012
      Inspired by the recent thread discussion on how to receive with this
      set up and an Ensemble RX I was wondering if anyone could tell me how
      to set up to transmit with an Ensemble TX/RX and hdsdr?

      I have an emu-0202 usb soundcard and an Ensemble II tx/rx running
      hdsdr and fldigi, No problem listening and decoding psk31 etc…with
      fldigi.

      I have the EMU-0202 hooked up as I have seen pictures of others with
      the receive cable tip/ring going to the two "input" plugs (and I
      recieve and decode with no problem) and then I have the transmit
      tip/ring going to the output plugs on the 0202, then they are each
      going to the respective receive and transmit 3.5mm inputs on the
      Ensemble tx/rx.

      But, when I pick the EMU-0202 as the sound card in the settings of
      HDSDR for both transmit and receive a message pops up saying, "pick a
      different sound card for transmit and receive" I have heard some say
      you need 2 sound cards or a Delta 44 to transmit with an rx/tx, but
      then I see other people saying they are both receiving and
      transmitting with just the EMU-0202 (or the newer 0204) and the cable
      set up I have described above.
      Can you do that?, and do you need virtual audio cable to do it, and if
      so does anyone have a diagram or little tutorial put together on how
      to hook it up and what settings to use to make it all work?

      Thanks,
      Tom
      N2BEW
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] How to transmit with RX/TX, HDSDR, FLDIGI, and an EMU0202?

        >I was wondering if anyone could tell me how
        to set up to transmit with an Ensemble TX/RX and hdsdr?
        >I have an emu-0202 usb soundcard and an Ensemble II tx/rx running
        hdsdr and fldigi, No problem listening and decoding psk31 etc…with
        fldigi.

        Tom,

        You do need a second sound system for HDSDR. Those using an EMU will be using another system for speaker and mic, possibly the
        on-board sound.
        PSDR can be used for digi modes if you do not want to hear the signal. (VAC)
        Some digi modes have an IQ mode using one card, WSPR is the only one I am familiar with.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 28, 2012

          Tom,

        • Thomas Bewick
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 29, 2012
            Thanks Allen,
            I was thinking maybe those set ups I have seen they were using the on board sound card, but was not sure.
            Perhaps I will look into going the PowerSDR VAC route. For digital it really does not matter If I hear the signal as long as I see it and it is copied in FLDIGI.
            Thanks again 73,
            Tom

            On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

            >I was wondering if anyone could tell me how
            to set up to transmit with an Ensemble TX/RX and hdsdr?
            >I have an emu-0202 usb soundcard and an Ensemble II tx/rx running
            hdsdr and fldigi, No problem listening and decoding psk31 etc…with
            fldigi.

            Tom,

            You do need a second sound system for HDSDR. Those using an EMU will be using another system for speaker and mic, possibly the
            on-board sound.
            PSDR can be used for digi modes if you do not want to hear the signal. (VAC)
            Some digi modes have an IQ mode using one card, WSPR is the only one I am familiar with.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

            I have the EMU-0202 hooked up as I have seen pictures of others with
            the receive cable  tip/ring going to the two "input" plugs (and I
            recieve and decode with no problem) and then I have the transmit
            tip/ring going to the output plugs on the 0202, then they are each
            going to the respective receive and transmit 3.5mm inputs on the
            Ensemble tx/rx.

            But, when I pick the EMU-0202 as the sound card in the settings of
            HDSDR for both transmit and receive a message pops up saying, "pick a
            different sound card for transmit and receive" I have heard some say
            you need 2 sound cards or a Delta 44 to transmit with an rx/tx, but
            then I see other people saying they are both receiving and
            transmitting with just the EMU-0202 (or the newer 0204) and the cable
            set up I have described above.
            Can you do that?, and do you need virtual audio cable to do it, and if
            so does anyone have a diagram or little tutorial put together on how
            to hook it up and what settings to use to make it all work?

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)