Re: [softrock40] Re: SDR Soundcards

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 27, 2012
      Ditto here!

      DE N8XYN Jim

      From: yl2gqn
      Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:16 PM
      Subject: [softrock40] Re: SDR Soundcards

      Hi Paul,

      Working fine for me without any mods. PowerSDR, HDSDR, Rocky, 96/48 kHz.

      Regards,
      Andy. YL2QN.

      --- In mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com, "pauldebono@..." <pawlud@...> wrote:

      > I came across this
      Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, one of the few that has a separate mic in and line in. They claim the output is 24/96khz, but surround is 48khz. Has anyone used this one for SDR.

      Paul

    • Leonard McGarity
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012
        Here using M-Audio Audiophile 196 with RX Ensemble II. Has 24 bit/192kc audio. May be overkill for softrock, but does lots other audio apps also. Link, WV4I

      • Guy Johnson
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012
          Can a laptop running  Win 7 use audio in/
          audio out work on SDR???

          Guy/N4DEL

          West Volusia Amateur Radio Society
          DeLand Racing Pigeon Club
          Mid-Florida Pigeon Racing Combine
          Veggie zone 9A/9B
          http://bellsouthpwp2.net/n/4/n4gmu/

          "When all else fails"

          Everything will be fine in the end....
          If it is not fine, it is not the end...

          Some people confuse being healed, with being perfect.......

          http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile192.html
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012
            Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: SDR Soundcards

            >Can a laptop running Win 7 use audio in/
            audio out work on SDR???

            Guy

            If it is a modern one then it will probably be fast enough and have stereo sound.
            That is what is required, or USB sound.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • John Williams
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012
              Many new laptops have dropped the line in capability that is required. You can use the mic input if it is stereo and is attenuated properly.

              My new Lenovo W510 is one of these new laptops that does not have line-in.

              John

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012
                Deviated from the original topic a bit but I figured I'd point out the macbook pro running win7 works very well. Line level input 24bit 96khz and very clean on my 2011 one. The sound chip can handle full duplex on the line in, line out, built in speakers and built in microphone.

                You should be able to have an ssb qso without any additional soundcards. I haven't tried yet.

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012

                   Thanks for info. It is Dell D-800,
                  abouy 6 years old. Has Mike input, don't
                  know if stereo. How do you check??
                  Guy Johnson/N4DEL

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012
                    On win7 for most sound cards;
                    Right click the speaker icon in the task bar and select Recording Devices
                    Select the input you want to check and click Properties
                    Click the Advanced tab at the top
                    Under Default Format there is a pulldown. In that list is all the modes supported by the input device. It should say 1 or 2 channel there. Go ahead and select the mode you want to use while you're there.

                    Maybe not the most foolproof way but it's never let me down.

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Guy Johnson <johnsonguysharon@...> wrote:

                    >  Thanks for info. It is Dell D-800,
                    > abouy 6 years old. Has Mike input, don't
                    > know if stereo. How do you check??Guy Johnson/N4DEL
                    >

                    > West Volusia Amateur Radio Society
                    > DeLand Racing Pigeon Club
                    > Mid-Florida Pigeon Racing Combine
                    > Veggie zone 9A/9B
                    > http://bellsouthpwp2.net/n/4/n4gmu/
                    >

                    > "When all else fails"
                    >

                    > Everything will be fine in the end....
                    > If it is not fine, it is not the end...
                    >
                    > Some people confuse being healed, with being perfect.......
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Guy Johnson

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012

                        > Many new laptops have dropped the line in capability that is required.
                        > You can use the mic input if it is stereo and is attenuated properly.
                        >
                        > My new Lenovo W510 is one of these new laptops that does not have line-in.

                        I suspect many new ones do have a proper line in configuration when the mixers are carefully examined.
                        Even my Acer netbook has up to192KHz stereo, although the 192KHz is not usable for SDR.
                        Most have dual purpose sockets. Line/Mic configurable.
                        It seems Lenovo may use a different plug/socket http://pinoutsguide.com/HeadsetsHeadphones/lenovo_audio_pinout.shtml

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ
                      • Leonard McGarity
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 29, 2012
                          Someone observed, perhaps Alan, that at least some netbooks’ mike line in is really stereo, that is, accepts I/Q inputs. Tried my Aspire One D255 Win 7 Starter at this, and it worked with SDR-Radio and RX Ensemble II. Obviously performance differences between netbook and laptop, desktop, etc., but it did work. Link, WV4I
                        • pauldebono@rocketmail.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 29, 2012
                            If you use the mic in as line in, where would you stick your mic ?
                            You have to use an internal mic of a pc, and if so, if you do not have one ?

                            Is this a stupid question ???

                            Paul

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 29, 2012

                              > If you use the mic in as line in, where would you stick your mic ?
                              > You have to use an internal mic of a pc, and if so, if you do not have one ?

                              Paul,

                              You cannot use the same soundcard for mic in and RX IQ in.
                              You can use a cheap dongle for mic in and speaker out. The better system for the Softrock IQ signals.