Re: [softrock40] Did I kill my Si570?

  • Nick

    Afternoon all (well here in UK)

    Had a play, just before I toddle off for a night shift, and with no
    AVR I get the attached view on the 'scope. Time base set at 10mS/div.
    sorry it is out of focus but ... (will also put in files area if I can)

    So looks like I have an ill Si570

    Oh well will order a new one (and a new AVR as well in case it is the
    guilty party in this).

    Thanks for all the help

    73

    Nick

    - --
    I always thought Detritus would be good at: "I bet
    you're wondrin' how many time I fired dis crossbow
    - --"

    (alt.fan.pratchett)
    16:00:01 up 4 days, 2:18, 6 users, load average: 0.53, 0.46, 0.50
  • MIKE DURKIN
    Message 2 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
      Yea ... that's odd looking ....

      Least the Cmos Si570 and aTtiny85 AVR are fairly cheap ...

      I put mine in backwards .... you can guess the out come ...
      I bought a replacement and 2 spares ...
      Hi hi .....

      KC7NOA

      Message 3 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
        Subject: RE: [softrock40] Did I kill my Si570?

        >that's odd looking ....

        A few years back we had a batch that might have been like that.
        I do not remember if anyone posted a scope shot but it was described as pulsing.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Tom Hoflich
        Message 4 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
          For the record.... not one of those got shipped to anyone.
          Tony discovered this and all in the batch were returned for new ones.

          73, Tom

          A few years back we had a batch that might have been like that.
          I do not remember if anyone posted a scope shot but it was described as pulsing.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • nick_norman2002
          Message 5 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@...> wrote:

            > For the record.... not one of those got shipped to anyone.
            > Tony discovered this and all in the batch were returned for new ones.
            >
            > 73, Tom
            >
            > http://km5h.softrockradio.org

            Well in that case I killed mine or the firmware has gotten corrupted and has written some way funny stuff into the Si570.

            Either way new ones on the way - and hope to do better next time :-)

            On a related topic, is a hot-air gun OK to solder these beasts? - I'll need to use one to get the old one off I think.

            Nick
            Message 6 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
              Subject: [softrock40] Re: Did I kill my Si570?

              > For the record.... not one of those got shipped to anyone.

              Actually some were. Several had bad ones then Tony started testing them.

              >a hot-air gun OK to solder these beasts? - I'll need to use one to get the old one off I think.

              Nick,

              Yes, ideal.
              Cover everything else with foil.
              They have normally proved very tough, one person did that 3 times.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • MIKE DURKIN
              Message 7 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
                I used a soldering gun ... made a solderblob out of it ... still worked after I cleaned it off with wick .... if you're trying to be careful with the board traces ... the Si570 should be fine (specially if it was ok before removal)...

                Just my Horror Story ... I use a embossing hot air wand now...

                KC7NOA

                To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                From: alan4alan@...
                Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:33:13 +0000
                Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Did I kill my Si570?

                Message 8 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012

                  > >a hot-air gun OK to solder these beasts? - I'll need to use one to get the old one off I think.
                  >
                  > Nick,
                  >
                  > Yes, ideal.
                  > Cover everything else with foil.
                  > They have normally proved very tough, one person did that 3 times.
                  >
                  > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                  OK Good to know - may even use it to attach all the other SMD stuff - seemed to work OK for my 1090MHz receiver ...

                  Nick
                • Nick
                  • Nick Norman
                    Message 10 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
                      On 26/11/12 22:42, nick_norman2002 wrote:

                      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <alan4alan@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >>> a hot-air gun OK to solder these beasts? - I'll need to use one to get the old one off I think.
                      >>
                      >> Nick,

                      OK all,

                      A follow up:

                      The original Si570 was broken

                      The replacement is 100%, Finally got round to finished the assembly and
                      it works in RX mode - not tried TX yet as I need to sort out adapters to
                      BNC.

                      Struggling a bit with the various software but - hey that's part of the
                      fun, also struggling with windows (not my native environment).

                      Just thought i let the group know the final outcome.

                      Regards

                      Nick

                      M0HGU

                      --
                      I WAS AT A PARTY, he added, a shade reproachfully.
                      -- Death is summoned by the Wizards
                      Message 11 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
                        On 20 Feb 2013, at 07:54, Nick Norman <m6bvj@...> wrote:

                        > Struggling a bit with the various software but - hey that's part of the
                        > fun, also struggling with windows (not my native environment).

                        You don't have to use Windows! I use a Mac exclusively for my SoftRock, it works perfectly with DSP Radio once the calibration has been set up (for which I did use Windows).

                        I haven't tried it in Linux, but there are several pieces of software that support SoftRock there too.

                        -J.