SDR Soundcards

  • pauldebono@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012
      I came across this Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, one of the few that has a separate mic in and line in. They claim the output is 24/96khz, but surround is 48khz. Has anyone used this one for SDR.

      Paul
    • MICHAEL TALLENT
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012
        Is this the one you mean?
        www.rfsystem.it/shop/download/SB_Creative_XFi_Pro_USB.pdf

        I have one but I have not tried it yet.

        Mike T W6MXV

        >I came across this Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, one of the
        >few that has a separate mic in and line in. They claim the output is
        >24/96khz, but surround is 48khz. Has anyone used this one for SDR.
        >
        > Paul

      • Jose Bonanca
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012

          Since you are not going to use surround for sdr you may use the unit at a full 96khz speed.

          This unit is the best around…

          Regards

          >I came across this Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, one of the
          >few that has a separate mic in and line in. They claim the output is
          >24/96khz, but surround is 48khz. Has anyone used this one for SDR.
          >
          > Paul

        • John Williams
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012
            I am using it on Windows XP with PowerSDR. Works well at 96K. I just checked the creative store to make sure and saw that it is on sale today for $39.00 with free shipping, today only...pretty good price...

            http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0044DEDCA.htm

            John

            --

            John Williams

            KE5SSH - ham since 2007
            WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

          • pauldebono@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 26, 2012
              It is a good price, but not available to my country. This is very frustrating for us.

              Paul

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:

              > I am using it on Windows XP with PowerSDR. Works well at 96K. I just
              > checked the creative store to make sure and saw that it is on sale today
              > for $39.00 with free shipping, today only...pretty good price...
              >
              > http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0044DEDCA.htm
              >
              > John
              > On 11/26/2012 8:05 AM, pauldebono@... wrote:
              > >
              > > I came across this Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, one
              > > of the few that has a separate mic in and line in. They claim the
              > > output is 24/96khz, but surround is 48khz. Has anyone used this one
              > > for SDR.
              > >
              > > Paul
              > >

              > --
              >
              > John Williams
              >
              > KE5SSH - ham since 2007
              > WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

            • yl2gqn
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 27, 2012
                Hi Paul,

                Working fine for me without any mods. PowerSDR, HDSDR, Rocky, 96/48 kHz.

                Regards,
                Andy. YL2QN.

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "pauldebono@..." <pawlud@...> wrote:

                > I came across this Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, one of the few that has a separate mic in and line in. They claim the output is 24/96khz, but surround is 48khz. Has anyone used this one for SDR.
                >
                > Paul

              • Jim
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 27, 2012
                  Ditto here!

                  DE N8XYN Jim

                  --- In mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com, "pauldebono@..." <pawlud@...> wrote:

                  > I came across this
                  Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, one of the few that has a separate mic in and line in. They claim the output is 24/96khz, but surround is 48khz. Has anyone used this one for SDR.

                  Paul

                • Leonard McGarity
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012
                    Here using M-Audio Audiophile 196 with RX Ensemble II. Has 24 bit/192kc audio. May be overkill for softrock, but does lots other audio apps also. Link, WV4I

                  • Guy Johnson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012
                      Can a laptop running  Win 7 use audio in/
                      audio out work on SDR???

                      Guy/N4DEL

                      West Volusia Amateur Radio Society
                      DeLand Racing Pigeon Club
                      Mid-Florida Pigeon Racing Combine
                      Veggie zone 9A/9B
                      http://bellsouthpwp2.net/n/4/n4gmu/

                      "When all else fails"

                      Everything will be fine in the end....
                      If it is not fine, it is not the end...

                      Some people confuse being healed, with being perfect.......

                      http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile192.html
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012
                        Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: SDR Soundcards

                        >Can a laptop running Win 7 use audio in/
                        audio out work on SDR???

                        Guy

                        If it is a modern one then it will probably be fast enough and have stereo sound.
                        That is what is required, or USB sound.

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ
                      • John Williams
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012
                          Many new laptops have dropped the line in capability that is required. You can use the mic input if it is stereo and is attenuated properly.

                          My new Lenovo W510 is one of these new laptops that does not have line-in.

                          John
                          On 11/28/2012 3:48 PM, Alan wrote:

                          >Can a laptop running Win 7 use audio in/
                          audio out work on SDR???

                          Guy

                          If it is a modern one then it will probably be fast enough and have stereo sound.
                          That is what is required, or USB sound.

                          John Williams

                          KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                          WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

                        • kk4dcf
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012
                            Deviated from the original topic a bit but I figured I'd point out the macbook pro running win7 works very well. Line level input 24bit 96khz and very clean on my 2011 one. The sound chip can handle full duplex on the line in, line out, built in speakers and built in microphone.

                            You should be able to have an ssb qso without any additional soundcards. I haven't tried yet.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012

                               Thanks for info. It is Dell D-800,
                              abouy 6 years old. Has Mike input, don't
                              know if stereo. How do you check??
                              Guy Johnson/N4DEL

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012
                                On win7 for most sound cards;
                                Right click the speaker icon in the task bar and select Recording Devices
                                Select the input you want to check and click Properties
                                Click the Advanced tab at the top
                                Under Default Format there is a pulldown. In that list is all the modes supported by the input device. It should say 1 or 2 channel there. Go ahead and select the mode you want to use while you're there.

                                Maybe not the most foolproof way but it's never let me down.

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Guy Johnson <johnsonguysharon@...> wrote:

                                >  Thanks for info. It is Dell D-800,
                                > abouy 6 years old. Has Mike input, don't
                                > know if stereo. How do you check??Guy Johnson/N4DEL
                                >

                                > West Volusia Amateur Radio Society
                                > DeLand Racing Pigeon Club
                                > Mid-Florida Pigeon Racing Combine
                                > Veggie zone 9A/9B
                                > http://bellsouthpwp2.net/n/4/n4gmu/
                                >

                                > "When all else fails"
                                >

                                > Everything will be fine in the end....
                                > If it is not fine, it is not the end...
                                >
                                > Some people confuse being healed, with being perfect.......
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • Guy Johnson

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 28, 2012

                                    > Many new laptops have dropped the line in capability that is required.
                                    > You can use the mic input if it is stereo and is attenuated properly.
                                    >
                                    > My new Lenovo W510 is one of these new laptops that does not have line-in.

                                    I suspect many new ones do have a proper line in configuration when the mixers are carefully examined.
                                    Even my Acer netbook has up to192KHz stereo, although the 192KHz is not usable for SDR.
                                    Most have dual purpose sockets. Line/Mic configurable.
                                    It seems Lenovo may use a different plug/socket http://pinoutsguide.com/HeadsetsHeadphones/lenovo_audio_pinout.shtml

                                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                  • Leonard McGarity
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 29, 2012
                                      Someone observed, perhaps Alan, that at least some netbooks’ mike line in is really stereo, that is, accepts I/Q inputs. Tried my Aspire One D255 Win 7 Starter at this, and it worked with SDR-Radio and RX Ensemble II. Obviously performance differences between netbook and laptop, desktop, etc., but it did work. Link, WV4I
                                    • pauldebono@rocketmail.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 29, 2012
                                        If you use the mic in as line in, where would you stick your mic ?
                                        You have to use an internal mic of a pc, and if so, if you do not have one ?

                                        Is this a stupid question ???

                                        Paul

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 29, 2012

                                          > If you use the mic in as line in, where would you stick your mic ?
                                          > You have to use an internal mic of a pc, and if so, if you do not have one ?

                                          Paul,

                                          You cannot use the same soundcard for mic in and RX IQ in.
                                          You can use a cheap dongle for mic in and speaker out. The better system for the Softrock IQ signals.